Author Topic: Conspiracy theories  (Read 17493 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Conspiracy theories
« on: Saturday, 19 July, 2014 @ 00:29:44 »
Most Greeks believe that the economic crisis gripping the country for the past four years was “premeditated” by foreign centers of influence, a university survey said on Friday.

The survey of slightly more than 1,000 people, published in Kathimerini daily, also shows that Greeks are firm believers in urban myths.

In answer to a question about whether the crisis was “premeditated by foreign centers of influence,” more than 75 percent of those questioned answered yes.

In addition, 69 percent think a cure for cancer exists, 59 percent believe the 2001 al-Qaida attacks were a U.S. plot, and 27 percent said that the 1969 lunar landing was staged.
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/international/europe/2014/07/19/412730/Greeks-believe.htm

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: Conspiracy theories
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 19 July, 2014 @ 08:29:30 »
Which just goes to show that UKIP should be recruiting in Greece.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 19 July, 2014 @ 23:04:08 »
Which just goes to show that UKIP should be recruiting in Greece.

I thought the leader of UKIP was Greek - Faragios (Φαραγιός !).  ;)

Tony

Offline Alan

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 21 July, 2014 @ 08:56:20 »
There must be something in the air, because I'm nursing a conspiracy theory of my own. Recently the police and officials have been unusually energetic in enforcing regulations in the tourist sector on the island, and I believe across Greece too. Proprietors have been given massive fines, threatened with closure, and even jailed for things like minor building code infringements, exceeding seating capacity, and permitting noisy music (both recorded and live). Well, why should they not enforce the law, you may ask, but the Greeks usually have a healthy laissez faire attitude to regulations unless someone applies pressure, and we all know many other laws which are still routinely ignored.

To hobble the tourist industry which is leading a fragile economic recovery requires an explanation, and I don't believe that is simply the pursuit of income from fines. The conspiracy theory? Maybe there is a concerted effort to sweep away the traditional model of tourism based on small scale family run businesses and replace it with the multi-national branded offering we see everywhere else. To me that would be the greatest crime of all.

I'm only saying!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 21 July, 2014 @ 10:41:43 »
Anyone pursuing such a strategy would be wise to consider where the current tourists, many of whom visit several times a year, might then choose to go.

It's possible they visit Greece specifically to access those same family run businesses.

Offline KefieRosie

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 21 July, 2014 @ 11:14:35 »
But we still se smoking going on inside everywhere so where are the fines for that??

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 21 July, 2014 @ 14:51:32 »
But we still se smoking going on inside everywhere so where are the fines for that??
I was chatting to a bar owner in Poros a couple of weeks ago and he was telling me he is now starting to experience difficulties with his local Greek customers during the winter/off season months regarding smoking inside his bar.He told me they just don't seem to get it and has lost some regulars as a result of him enforcing the rules.The guy is well aware of the fine system and plod are itching to let someone have it. All tourists I've seen in Poros not that there are many these days adhere to this rule no problem. Pity some of the locals can't get with the system !

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Monday, 21 July, 2014 @ 18:50:56 »
And when the police come to enforce / close it - they have a ciggie. You gotta love it.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 22 July, 2014 @ 00:57:58 »
To reply to Alan, maybe the cops have got a target in how much in fines to target per month.  Does any of the fines get channelled back to the cops - legit-wise I mean of course!

Tony

Offline Alan

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 @ 17:31:06 »

Forum members may be interested in this announcement from the local musicians:

ATT MUSIC MEETING FRI JULY 25th 10:30am:

If you are concerned about and or have been affected by the music laws here on Kef and it's potential effect on tourism and earnings the Tourism minister for the Island a Mr Kekatos is hosting a meeting at the Argostoli town hall (across from the Museum) This Friday, July 25th 10:30am.. He is going to try to explain the situation and take comments and questions and hopefully come up with a compromise.. Tourists, residents, Greeks, English etc can come to make their voices heard..

A small but vocal group of maniacs have caused much distress to businesses and tourists alike.. It's time to make our voices heard. Now is not the time for Sitting back and doing nothing....

See you there...

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 24 July, 2014 @ 12:19:59 »
Alan, I've been following this via Jerry's FB and Elaine's comments, disgraceful that his and other's source of income is being so badly affected and obviously they know who seems to be causing it but can't say - I've got a pretty good idea who is at the top of the tree but why would others in the area try to get something like this stopped?  On another note, we do try to see Jerry at least a couple of times a visit and he does indeed add to our holiday, but I think those that react by saying they will no longer visit Kef if music isn't available is a bit extreme, there's a lot more to the Island!

Hopefully Mr Mayor will kick some butt and get it sorted otherwise we'll have to help organise "secret pop-up gigs"

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 25 July, 2014 @ 11:21:14 »
Morning, would appreciate an update either from Alan or anyone else that attends today's "music" meeting.

thanks

(good to see Jerry was able to do what he does best at the Makis last night )

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 25 July, 2014 @ 16:43:20 »
Sorry, haven't the time or inclination to attend the meeting but the way I've heard it: (part of) the problem is that some of the places don't have a licence for live music performances. So anyone who's going to boycott Kef 'cos Greeks ain't paying their taxes, well, that's very public spirited!

Obviously, some folk really want to hear live music but not everyone wants to hear the music from the place down the road and I reckon it's possible e.g. Skala strip will become a succession of tavernas and bars competing with music (live and canned) - not what a lot of people would want. JMO.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 25 July, 2014 @ 17:52:48 »
s'ok I read Jerry's report.  And I agree as per earlier post, live music is nice but I am also very very happy to sit with a glass of vino or seven and listen to the sea/goat bells/the bloomin dog from next door.  :)

Offline Alan

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, 27 July, 2014 @ 14:52:55 »
Think all they are asking for is that when the police arrive they speak to the complainant, measure the sound levels properly, and give the venue chance to turn it down ie pretty much what happens in the UK.

Now they are turning up at the venue without checking if its a genuine complainant (rather than a jealous competitor), wave a meter right in front of the speakers, then immediately hit the proprietor with a massive fine or imprisonment.

Surely if its not too loud or too late its a tourism asset, not a nuisance.

Just want some common sense and fair play really, as we had in previous years. Think there is hope that some compromise can be reached.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, 27 July, 2014 @ 15:13:58 »
pretty much what happens in the UK.
Ah, the police come, the sound gets turned down.

The police go, the sound gets turned up again.

Surely if its not too loud or too late its a tourism asset, not a nuisance.
Hm, might depend on what you call an asset. May well make Kef more attractive to many people but possibly not to the people who fell in love with a quiet, unspoilt Greek island. But what will be, will be.
:dunno:

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Monday, 28 July, 2014 @ 04:59:58 »
Agree completely, Maik.  Noise pollution is insidious and if something isn't done about it as soon as it manifests itself it just gets worse until it becomes unbearable.  I have, unfortunately, been to "quiet, little fishing villages" where the cacophony coming out of all the bars and tavernas was so bad we just jumped back in the car and left.

Is this the future for Kef?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Monday, 28 July, 2014 @ 11:55:10 »
Hopefully not...... :oki:

Tony