Author Topic: New swimming pool for Katelios  (Read 48396 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
New swimming pool for Katelios
« on: Thursday, 15 January, 2015 @ 15:58:51 »

A new swimming pool is being constructed close to Katelios beach. This will adjoin Notos Apartments, but is likely to be open to visitors.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: New swimming pool for Katelios
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 15 January, 2015 @ 19:50:08 »
Thanks Roger - very eagle-eyed!  Looks like it's on the "back road behind the tavernas.  We quite like a stroll along there where it seems very undeveloped.  Possibly changing now??

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 16 January, 2015 @ 11:14:41 »
To paraphrase our Winnie "This is not the end of the beginning but the beginning of the end".  For Katelios that is.

Putting a swimming pool within yards of the beach has got to rank as one of the most stupid excrescences of tourism in Kef.  Along with the threatened "Glamping" site (now, thankfully, postponed).

The first few pebbles of ruination were the sum loungers now we are threatened with an avalanche that will  destroy Katelios as it was once known and loved.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 16 January, 2015 @ 12:42:48 »
I think it's called progress Ari.

Let's face it, if there was no change in Katelios ( or anywhere else for that matter), it's appeal would die out as those who like it as it is now die off or become too infirm to visit any longer.

Thankfully, the change there appears to be slow. The two new hotels were feared by some to be the death knell but they are now fairly well integrated. Same with the move of Nemesis to the front, again not a problem. And again, the harbour development hasn't brought huge numbers of day trippers, just 20- or 30 people twice a week.

The Glamping site has slowed and might have been stopped altogether or at least restricted in the long term.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 16 January, 2015 @ 22:52:40 »
This picture should have been with the post above, but disappeared for some reason!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 02:26:44 »
Rog, isn't that the pic that is in your original post?

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 11:52:20 »
I think it's called progress Ari.

Let's face it, if there was no change in Katelios ( or anywhere else for that matter), it's appeal would die out as those who like it as it is now die off or become too infirm to visit any longer.

Thankfully, the change there appears to be slow. The two new hotels were feared by some to be the death knell but they are now fairly well integrated. Same with the move of Nemesis to the front, again not a problem. And again, the harbour development hasn't brought huge numbers of day trippers, just 20- or 30 people twice a week.

The Glamping site has slowed and might have been stopped altogether or at least restricted in the long term.

I think you are confusing change with progress.  They are not synonyms.  Change has to happen to achieve progress but change doesn't necessarily bring progress.

Katelios can change in any way that the Greeks want it to although I know this suggests an element of planning wholly lacking in the Greek mentality.  As a consumer I choose to go to where I find most congenial. I would feel some misgivings not returning to Katelios as I have been visiting the village for 26 years.  Katelios can change into  another Kavos.  Is that progress?  I don't think so but I will have moved on long before that happens (I mean moved on not passed on).
« Last Edit: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 17:33:11 by TonyKath »

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 12:43:06 »
Ari
I wrote that it was called progress. I didn't say it was progress.

In some ways progress, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Like you, I'll continue to visit Katelios for as long as it meets my needs ( and these may change), and/or as long as I am able.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 18:34:47 »
Rog, isn't that the pic that is in your original post?

If so Maik, it doesn't appear on my monitor!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 18:49:31 »
Had to scale it down but this is how your first post appears to me, checked it on three PCs, logged in and logged out

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 19:07:22 »
Photo Ok on my laptop.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 17 January, 2015 @ 19:53:50 »
OK on desktop and tablet here.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, 20 January, 2015 @ 17:49:41 »
To paraphrase our Winnie "This is not the end of the beginning but the beginning of the end".  For Katelios that is.

The first few pebbles of ruination were the sum loungers now we are threatened with an avalanche that will  destroy Katelios as it was once known and loved.

What Ari (and a few others among us) dread - piccies not of Greece but Spain, although in the present government's clamour for foreign investment and subsequent relaxation of development controls... who knows when this will happen here? Click on the 'as it was' pics to see the places now:

The costa del concrete: the Mediterranean coastline then and now – in pictures

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, 20 January, 2015 @ 19:21:29 »
What Ari (and a few others among us) dread - piccies not of Greece but Spain, although in the present government's clamour for foreign investment and subsequent relaxation of development controls... who knows when this will happen here? Click on the 'as it was' pics to see the places now:

Bloody 'ell, Maik!!  I had to go for a lie-down in a darkened room after that!

Ah, the strains of a familiar song, Ari!  ;)   Some changes are OK, some I even like, but there are others I would rather not have (e.g. changing the open space by the beach with the "glamping"  :bleh: ).  I know others have been coming longer to Katelios than our 20 years but we still feel it's close enough to what we found back then.  And bear in mind Greece was still far behind the rest of Europe even in 1995 in terms of development - could even end up not much different again.   :blink:

Let's hope we won't be saying about you "this was his finest hour" in 5-10 years time, Ari!!  :)

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, 21 January, 2015 @ 11:41:05 »

Bloody 'ell, Maik!!  I had to go for a lie-down in a darkened room after that!

Ah, the strains of a familiar song, Ari!  ;)   Some changes are OK, some I even like, but there are others I would rather not have (e.g. changing the open space by the beach with the "glamping"  :bleh: ).  I know others have been coming longer to Katelios than our 20 years but we still feel it's close enough to what we found back then.  And bear in mind Greece was still far behind the rest of Europe even in 1995 in terms of development - could even end up not much different again.   :blink:

Let's hope we won't be saying about you "this was his finest hour" in 5-10 years time, Ari!!  :)

Tony

My finest hour was many years ago.  Just ask my wife.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 21 January, 2015 @ 18:03:24 »
The new pool is progressing quicker than Skala High street.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, 21 January, 2015 @ 18:41:29 »
Looks like more than just a hole in the ground, Roger.  Any idea what else will be there?

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, 21 January, 2015 @ 19:26:39 »
The new pool is progressing quicker than Skala High street.

:rofl: :pml:  :yiamas:

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, 21 January, 2015 @ 22:07:33 »
Looks like more than just a hole in the ground, Roger.  Any idea what else will be there?

Tony

You are right, it does seem more than a pool. I will keep you updated on progress.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 11:23:24 »
When I was last in Katelios last September, when I was praying that this thing was going to be just another rumour, I was told that in addition to the pool there would be the usual accoutrements, ie sun loungers, bar, barbeque.  Costa was intending to put on quiz nights, karaoke, authentic, impromptu Greek dancing promptly at 10 on Fridays, the usual crap.  Of course, it could be far worse but I just can't think how.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 11:30:48 »
I'm having difficulty visualising exactly where this project is.
Any chance of an annotated satellite map perhaps?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 11:48:54 »
impromptu Greek dancing promptly at 10 on Fridays

:blink: :rofl:

Of course, it could be far worse but I just can't think how.

Ari, I've seen the future! Before coming to kef I worked in a lovely little place on the north of Corfu called San Stefanos. Very much like Katelios, maybe smaller at the time than Katelios is now, but with a better beach. Bingo and British beer was very popular with the Brit clientele.

But let your imagination run riot - how about Russkoe Loto and Zhigulevskoe Bochkovoe?

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 16:56:07 »
Location here.............
Google Earth has 'street view' for Katelios now, so you can see what was there before.

« Last Edit: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 16:59:27 by Jolly Roger »

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 18:17:15 »
It could be much worse Ari - there could be people pretending to play live music under the banner keep music alive on Kefalonia which apparently the whole world has united to desire.........

Offline JimW

• Participant
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, 22 January, 2015 @ 19:06:50 »
This was supposed to happen last year bur the earthquakes stopped it, I believe there we be a bar and snack food available. Notos is now with Thomas Cook who are in favour of this and are helping as opposed to Cosmos who would not. the cost of staying at Notos has risen considerably and a lot of regulars are not going back as I understand.