Author Topic: Animal shelters funding  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Animal shelters funding
« on: Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 @ 07:59:35 »
The Agriculture Ministry has set aside 1.3 million euros to be distributed to Greece's municipal authorities in order to build shelters for stray animals, the state-run Athens-Macedonia News Agency reported on Tuesday.

The decision signed by Agricultural Development Minister Giorgos Karasmanis and authorized by the ministries of Interior and Finance foresees the construction of special departments in all municipalities whose task will be to collect, tag, vaccinate and sterilize stray cats and dogs, while also offering medical treatment and behavioral rehabilitation so they can be put up for adoption.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_22/07/2014_541582

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Animal shelters funding
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 23 July, 2014 @ 22:33:17 »
 :btu:

Great news.  Not actually a lot of dosh given the size of the problem but at least a start and at a time when Greece is struggling with the massive austerity cuts. 

Tony

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Animal shelters funding
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 24 July, 2014 @ 00:52:48 »
I'd be hugely surprised if more than a small fraction of that money is used for the purpose intended.  If I judge by past funding provided (supposedly) for animal welfare in Kilkis, it'll mostly go into politicians' pockets and on half-cocked projects which have nothing to do with animal welfare.  I don't want to be a wet blanket, but that is what has always happened in the past.