Author Topic: Gov’t lets tax evasion grow by the day  (Read 4490 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
Gov’t lets tax evasion grow by the day
« on: Monday, 13 June, 2016 @ 00:01:08 »
Restaurants in certain parts of the country have already started presenting patrons with two menus listing different prices: one with value-added tax and the other without it.

The phenomenon has apparently started since Easter and has even been witnessed in areas that attract high-end tourism, usually not the ideal setting for this form of fraud.

The menu presented had the prices without VAT, i.e. the 23-percent charge that has now risen to 24 percent, with both the patrons and the restaurants being happy for defrauding the state that appears unreliable, inconsistent, inefficient and at times even sinister.

Tax evasion in Greece is taking an ever growing proportion, with the state playing its part too: The delay of the Finance Ministry in drafting a strategy that would render compulsory the online transactions and the cross checking of data continues to feed the illegal economy that uses the pretext of excessive taxation to grow further by the day.

Online payment experts remind that the key issue in beating tax evasion is not only the compulsory use of credit or debit cards, but also the comparison of the receipts that the card terminal issues with those of the cash register of each enterprise. Yet the data the General Secretariat or Public Revenues receives online go largely unchecked.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/209540/article/ekathimerini/business/govt-lets-tax-evasion-grow-by-the-day

Has anyone been presented with two menus listing two different prices?

« Last Edit: Monday, 13 June, 2016 @ 00:04:08 by BeeTee »

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
Re: Gov’t lets tax evasion grow by the day
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 13 June, 2016 @ 08:10:19 »
No. Was in Lorraine's Magic Hill in Lourdas last night . Still the same menu and same prices.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 13 June, 2016 @ 17:45:46 »
There's possibly anotger explanation. In tge UK there's no VAT on take away food. If it's the same in Greece then this could account for the two menus.

If some it would be that the journalist is lazy at best and sensationalising at worst.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 13 June, 2016 @ 23:31:07 »
I would imagine there are a few of us here who remember the days when all menus had two sets of prices with and without sales tax (pre VAT/EU).  Usually written in two adjacent columns in pencil so that the menus could be updated without re-printing until they eventually fell apart.  Many of the menu items were also added in pencil and in illegible English.  As I recall menus were often provided to the tavernas by drinks suppliers and prominently featured ads for their products in colour! The menus usually bore little relation to the food available and newcomers to Greece eventually found the best thing was to look in the chiller cabinet or go into the kitchen and check out the fridge.  This initially strange procedure soon became a very enjoyable part of the evening.

I think we paid "plus tax" but everything was so cheap nobody bothered.  I expect the taxman got his "fakelaki" and a couple of bottles of home made tsipouro and all were happy.

Those were the days  :yiamas:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 14 June, 2016 @ 13:02:02 »
Yes, indeed, remember those menus well. As you say, those were the days!

:yiamas: