Author Topic: Myrtos closed?  (Read 15431 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Myrtos closed?
« on: Monday, 16 June, 2014 @ 16:31:56 »
Maybe I've misunderstood this but, from what I hear, the municipality has to close the road down to Myrtos as a safety precaution, likely to be closed until mid-July . More work will be undertaken in September.
« Last Edit: Monday, 16 June, 2014 @ 16:34:42 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Myrtos closed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 17 June, 2014 @ 15:30:19 »
Road to one of Greece's most popular beaches to be closed for repairs

A decision by regional authorities to close the road that leads to one of Greece's most popular beaches on the Ionian island of Cephalonia as it undergoes repairs raised a storm of reactions from local tourism businesses on Tuesday.

Authorities said that the road to Myrtos beach, one of the country's most iconic bathing spots, featured in hundreds of posters and on websites advertising Greece as a tourist destination, must undergo emergency repairs following several landslides in the past few weeks.

The road has been in a state of disrepair since the Ionian island was hit by two powerful earthquakes at the start of the year that damaged a large part of its road network and marinas.

The road to Myrtos will therefore be closed from Thursday, with repair works expected to take until mid-July, before the peak of the tourism season.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_17/06/2014_540613

"...two powerful earthquakes at the start of the year that damaged a large part of its road network and marinas." Um, there were three powerful quakes as I recall but only seven people were treated at hospital and only for minor injuries, Lixouri area suffered damage and the main Argostoli - Fiskardo road is still blocked beyond Myrtos. The majority of the island, its roads and marinas were undamaged.

As loads of happy holiday-makers will testify  :)

Offline Bagheera

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 18 June, 2014 @ 11:41:42 »
Hallo Maik, I've just read this post with sadness :(
I cannot imagine not to be able to visit this beautiful beach, actually I will be in Kef exactly middle July, that means I will find Myrtos still "closed" I guess. :rant:
Is there another way to reach the beach without making an all-day-long cruise? I hope that, if it's not accessible by car, they will start up a sort of  substitution by taxi-boat or something similar, do you have any news about?
Thanks a lot for yr. info :yiasou:

Offline Ian_E

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 18 June, 2014 @ 12:20:21 »
Looks like the road will be shut for a couple of weeks whilst they carry out essential work or until the 12th of July.

http://efimeridakefalonia.gr/?p=33833

Off today will remain the road leading to the beach of Myrtos until July 12, when according to the schedule you have completed the required work of installing mesh vrachoprostasias so not elochefei no risk to the safety of passing cars and bathers.
Against this background, by decision of the Police Director Class Kefalonia prohibited from today the passage of vehicles on the access road leading to the beach and specifically from the intersection to the settlement Divarata. For the major issue was the hallmark of the tourist image of Kefalonia, we visited the local authorities of the island, who understand the legitimate concern that the world was created in the midst of the summer season - as well as the Ministry of Infrastructure - primarily higher priority issue security. The Deputy Head, Sotiris Kouris (Ed met him in his office at the Regional Unit along with former Prefect, Dionysis Lefkaditis) was reported in a recent meeting at the point with operators YPO.ME.D.Y. and stood in need no longer be delivered to the road safely to residents and visitors. "With this schedule, ERGOTER starts work in Myrtos and is bound to end in 25 days. So on July 12 Myrtos safely be given to the world and to the public. You understand that we are all anxious in terms of management of tourism in the region because you understand that Myrtos is a great beach for both Kefalonia and for Greece itself. It should be safe. Should the visitor, the bather Myrtos be safe in the area. But, on the other hand, understand that there is some concern in the region because it is an area that lives exclusively by visitors Myrtos. But I think that will go fast all works. The Regional Unit and the Ministry are alert to expedite the work so that we have the similar results. Regarding the Ruler will start its work apovrachynsis the street to enter the grids and the protection of the road after Ace. Already though this project will start simultaneously can as planned - on schedule we set, in collaboration with the Ministry and the municipality - to give some time in July the way into circulation. " At the same time, and we addressed the Mayor, Alexander Parisi, who stressed that the temporary closure of Myrtos will not materially affect the tourist image of Kefalonia. "In the tourist season will not be able to create an issue because it is too close to the few days of Myrtos. The duration of the work will be about 15-20 days, as soon as he can. Since the evolution of the work will determine whether the police can spend earlier cars or not. Temporarily there is no other way to access Myrtos. Until you start work, you will need substantially ten days to catch the rock mass and create river protection. Therefore it should be closed. ASAP will be located on the island and the Minister for Infrastructure, which contacted to inspect the work. "

Offline Bagheera

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 18 June, 2014 @ 18:58:23 »
Thank you so much for the info :yiasou:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 16 July, 2014 @ 23:59:23 »
Cephalonia's world-famous Myrtos beach is open again to the public after the completion of landslide-damage repairs.

The first round of emergency repairs in the area was carried out on a 7-million-euro budget, while a call for tender regarding additional repairs is expected to be announced at the end of the high tourist season.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_16/07/2014_541416

ekathimerini a bit behind the times, road re-opened a good few days ago (though I think there's been a couple of rock falls at the end of the beach since then)