Author Topic: Going to hospital in Greece  (Read 9432 times)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Going to hospital in Greece
« on: Saturday, 19 July, 2014 @ 23:00:34 »
We got back from Paxoi on Monday.  While there we heard about a British ex-pat who had been taken very ill and was transferred via Corfu hospital to the major hospital in Iannina on the mainland.

We were struck by the fact that her husband was pretty much required to go with her to provide personal care as this would not be done by the nurses.  We were told that nursing and medical care were outstanding.  The husband stayed in the hotel next door to the hospital which is very much used by supporting relatives but after a couple of days as there were empty beds in the bay on the ward where his wife staying he was able to move in with her.

Is this generally the case in Greece?  What happens if there is no relative available - say if there are small children?

Tony

Offline suew

• Participant
Re: Going to hospital in Greece
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 19 July, 2014 @ 23:25:17 »
Hi TonyKath,

A friend of mine, her son was taken very ill in Italy several years ago and I know its not Greece, but she flew out to Italy straight away, she was quite shocked as she too was expected to give all personal care to her son which she didn't mind doing at all.  Even though people grumble and moan about the NHS in this country I for one hope that the personal care of patients remains the same as it has always been in the hand of the nurses.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 00:00:08 »
Thanks Sue

It's obviously more widespread than I thought - and I'd never heard about it till about a week ago. 

I don't think it'll happen here, though the way some things are going I wouldn't be surprised if some bright politico spark didn't suggest it soon.  It may be a cultural thing - I could see that in some countries families may actively prefer to look after their relatives rather than have "strangers" do it.  Here patient care has been seen very much the territory of nurses - in the past to the extent of keeping families rather at arms length.  Paediatric wards have become rather different over the last 30 years where not only are parents are allowed to be around 24/7 they are actually expected to do a bit of the caring.  And that's not a bad thing from the kids' point of view - unless you're 14 and you'd rather not have your mother take you to the loo!!!

Tony

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 00:02:15 »
"We were told that nursing and medical care were outstanding."

Tony, somebody's been telling you porkies.   :oki:  Greek hospitals are an absolute nightmare.  Even back in 1990, when I had to stay in hospital (first in Kilkis and then in Thessaloniki) things were awful (no nursing care, faeces-encrusted toilets, even on the walls, no meals), but nowadays, with the crisis, the situation is nothing short of abysmal.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 00:29:31 »
I can only base this on my (limited) experience at Argostoli hospital: It could do with a bit more maintenance, but there's hospitals in a similar (or worse) state in the UK. I've found the Casualty Dept. doctors generally to be pretty thorough - but some are rather arrogant while others are a real credit to the job and the hospital. As a result of their thoroughness you're likely to spend the night in a three-bed ward on Cas - the en-suite loo doesn't flush and access to it is awkward. And yes, you're pretty much on yer own, unless you have relatives/friends who can come in and see to your needs. Not sure what the doctors' shift patterns are but the shifts seem pretty long.

Out-patients depts... can be a bit of a nightmare, mileage varies.

Snack bar is pretty good, though!

Some years ago had to spend the night in a private hospital in Athens, that was pretty superb (thankfully I wasn't picking up the bill - or I might've had a heart attack!)

System probably dates back to when things in Greece were (even) more family orientated and people didn't move around the country (or world) as much as they do now.

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 10:47:32 »
Maybe an opportunity for the Greek government to start retraining the huge numbers if unemployed as Junior Nurses. A career path for the youngsters and better use of unemployment benefit.

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 17:45:24 »
When Chas was in Hospital in Argostoli last year we had to feed him but the nurses changed him and the bedding. They gave him all of his medications and changed his clothes. i had to wash him. It seems that familiees are there all of the time looking after their relatives. Could not fault the doctors.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline KefieRosie

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 18:39:36 »
Both my husband and I have had experience of hospitals in Greece and I can say we can't fault the Doctors and medical care. Agreed,relatives are expected to help out with everyday care but in most cases it is in the nature of the Greeks to look after and stay with their loved ones most of the day [ and night] in some cases.
I had a minor op in Argostoli and was cared for very well although food was not good and I found the staff to be very helpful and professional

My husband had  major heart surgery in Athens and I don't think he would have received better medical care in the UK. I did spend most of each day with him as did most relatives as was expected to attend to his general needs but I was there to help anyway so didn't mind at all as I could see how stretched the nursing staff were.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 19:06:15 »
Don't knock Argostoli hospital - bloody good for a small island - better than the Isle of Wight. Relatives are expected to help - unbelieveable.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 20 July, 2014 @ 21:24:56 »
Thought this might cause a bit of a flurry but not quite this sort of hornets' nest!   I was expecting more along the lines of Bryan's post but they seem much more mixed.  Some are quite good, most OK and a few dire.  Bit like the UK at the moment.  My original query about looking after your relatives is pretty much standard though.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 24 July, 2014 @ 16:42:59 »
On the subject of hospitals and relatives: voluntarily donating blood doesn't seem to be so widespread here as in the UK so, if a patient needs a blood transfusion relatives/friends are expected to make a blood donation. The blood group doesn't have to be the same as the patients but in this way the pool is generally maintained at a healthy level.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 25 July, 2014 @ 17:51:41 »
the pool is generally maintained at a healthy level.

???!!!!!!!  :blink: :pml:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, 26 August, 2014 @ 00:46:29 »