Author Topic: Quad Bike Incident....Skala  (Read 9727 times)

Offline APB

• Participant
Quad Bike Incident....Skala
« on: Saturday, 06 August, 2016 @ 16:02:18 »

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
Re: Quad Bike Incident....Skala
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 08:21:22 »
It has amazed me the amount of them there are about. The other day one tore through the village with a couple with a toddler between them. Then two with young lads on having a race !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 12:34:53 »
You can't  complain about Quad bikes.  They represent progress tourist style.  They are the future, just like in Laganas. What do you want?  People riding round on donkeys?  Or those horrible little three wheel things designed for maximum noise and minimum speed that were driven around for seemingly little purpose and no destination.  A bit like Quad bikes, really.

Offline kef97

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 13:10:47 »
My husband asked me to put this on.....
"I've lived here for nearly 20years & have been riding motorcycles for 51years, both in UK & here. This year I have observed the most abysmal, ignorant & downright dangerous standards of driving by tourists that I have seen in all my years here.
This ranges across all forms of transport from cars to scooters, to especially quad bikes....which appear to be the new trend for "dick-heads" (excuse me!). They ride round thinking they are invincible while riding in shorts & flip-flops, with their other half on the back in just a bikini......not a thought about what will happen to them if they come off!
My message to them is to slow down, be more careful & have more consideration for others on the road.
Sorry about the 'rant', but I feel much better for it!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 15:43:27 »
You can't  complain about Quad bikes.  They represent progress tourist style.  They are the future, just like in Laganas. What do you want?  People riding round on donkeys?  Or those horrible little three wheel things designed for maximum noise and minimum speed that were driven around for seemingly little purpose and no destination.  A bit like Quad bikes, really.
Except an idiot on a donkey doesn't generally pose a threat...;-)

A motorcyclist of many years myself means I've experienced the damage coming off can cause, even at low speeds.
Gravel Rash anyone? You're picking bits of grit and tarmac out of your skin for years!

The most disturbing aspect of Holiday Quads (and mopeds) is their ability to be driven by anyone holding a Car licence - as though driving a car has skills easily transferred to riding a bike or a quad. Unfortunately that's far from the case...starting with the need to "reverse steer" a motorcycle once you get over 10mph or so, closely followed by the need for a light touch on the back brake, and an even lighter touch on the front.

Offline kef97

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 08 August, 2016 @ 17:24:18 »
Further to my husband's RANT yesterday.........

I was out on my motorbike this morning, going up the bends out of Katelios & in the distance I saw a scantily clad pair of "numpty holidaymakers" on a scooter that was wondering all over the road. It wasn't until I caught up to them that I realised that they were taking 'Selfies" of themselves with a camera on a Selfie-stick while they were riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You always think 'you've seen it all'.........but of course there's always tomorrow!!!!!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 08 August, 2016 @ 20:14:43 »
Reading the Inkefalonia page I see the Greek word for a quad bike which I didn't know is "γουρούνα" - sow.  Perhaps you have to be pig-headed to ride one.  A Greek commenting says they are are not licensed to be insured to drive on the road - is that right?!

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 @ 16:19:56 »
I wish I had taken a photograph of a Swedish couple who were in the same hotel as me many years ago in Kos.  They had had hired a scooter and gone off God knows where.  I  didn't see them for a couple of days and when I did they looked like two sides of a pantomime mummy.  They had come off the scooter on a rough track and had managed to take all the skin off their right hand sides from the ankle up to the shoulder and a fair bit off their backs. Their right arms were bandaged from shoulder to finger tip. The bandages didn't stop the blood seeping through in several places. They had had a lot of grit and gravel taken out but still had a lot left.  They were both in absolute agony.  Standing, lying down or sitting was excruciating.  They had to suffer for a couple of days before going home.  The flight home must have been Hell.

I have never been tempted to hire a motorbike or scooter since.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 11 August, 2016 @ 12:52:03 »
It's yet another case of brains left behind at the departure gate! Why is it that people feel that they can flout safety rules/laws and not wear appropriate clothing, let alone a helmet - in not wearing a helmet could negate most insurances or if stopped by the police can get you a nice 300 euro fine!

They wouldn't do it at home so why do it here! Doh!

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 11 August, 2016 @ 13:33:47 »
Probably for the same reasons that so many Brits here drive UK plated cars without MOT, tax or insurance -  it'll never happen to them!
Although I understand that one of the biggest police clampdowns on foreign registered vehicles is on it's way with full access to European databases.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 11 August, 2016 @ 14:57:33 »
mmmmm.....London police have claimed there's not only no access to European vehicle registration databases, but tha there's no databases to start with (ROmania, BulGaria, LatVia, LiThuania, etc etc)

In the meantime, you can check a UK registered vehicle's current Tax and MOT status HERE...all you need is Number Plate and Make

Perhaps even more interesting, HERE you can see all previous MOT results, showing mileage and any advisories - those repairs still outstanding?

Hours of fun.....

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 11 August, 2016 @ 16:06:45 »
Ah, so that's why you see so many of those great big Romanian, Bulgarian etc. car transporters leaving the UK loaded with cars with UK numbers plates then returning with cars having Romanian, Bulgarian, Latvian & Lithuanian plates.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 11 August, 2016 @ 18:08:23 »
mmmmm.....London police have claimed there's not only no access to European vehicle registration databases, but tha there's no databases to start with (ROmania, BulGaria, LatVia, LiThuania, etc etc)

In the meantime, you can check a UK registered vehicle's current Tax and MOT status HERE...all you need is Number Plate and Make

Perhaps even more interesting, HERE you can see all previous MOT results, showing mileage and any advisories - those repairs still outstanding?

Hours of fun.....
That's the very database Greece are using. No MOT and vehicle impounded until valid insurance etc etc produced. HUGE fines (and maybe worse) depending how long you've been taking the piss.......