Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 186840 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 22:22:15 »
What is the new Apostalata Bus Service? I thought the hotel always had one.

:yiasou: Welcome to GGi, Sandrap

Yes, Apostolata runs its own minibus from the hotel to Skala and back. As does Asteris, San Giorgio... Apostolata now appears on the KTEL bus timetable which suggests a KTEL service running out from Skala as far as the hotel.

If that's the case I can't see the taxi drivers being too happy about it, could be more fun and games. We'll see.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 22:29:29 »
Sorry Tony, the Abbatoir  is the "affectionate" name for the set of buildings opposite Hotel Skala where Pantheon and the Pharmacy used to be and where Kaliva has recently moved to. Parking there for about 15/20 cars ...... If parked correctly.

I think it was named accordingly for its grey colour and nondescript shape just after it was finished.

Wouldn't have thought it would hold that many but whatever. The owner has never been keen on casual parking and, if I recall, vehicular access was blocked when all the units were empty. Can't see him offering free parking but maybe he'll try renting out parking spaces as he's not making much from renting out the units. Or maybe 'out of town' shopping will become more popular in Skala if parking is available with it.
 :dunno:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, 13 June, 2015 @ 22:33:04 »
Three piece tribute band?

Abba toir...

:doh:  :oki: :iroll:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, 14 June, 2015 @ 14:33:06 »
Sorry Tony, the Abbatoir  is the "affectionate" name for the set of buildings opposite Hotel Skala where Pantheon and the Pharmacy used to be and where Kaliva has recently moved to. Parking there for about 15/20 cars ...... If parked correctly.

I think it was named accordingly for its grey colour and nondescript shape just after it was finished.

Thanks APB - I feel suitably enlightened - and relieved!

Tony

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, 14 June, 2015 @ 14:33:36 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, 14 June, 2015 @ 16:11:13 »
Ah yes, a monsieur and two mademoiselles. Think I saw them on Britain's Got Talent. Apt name as they slaughtered the song. But maybe Waterloo wasn't the best choice.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #231 on: Thursday, 18 June, 2015 @ 19:55:03 »
A-ha!!! The new, improved, Katelios-Skala-Poros bus service could be in response to the lack of parking spaces now available in Skala? Could make it a lot easier for people to move around by public transport in the evenings - wonder how the cabbies and hotel bars will like that?

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, 07 July, 2015 @ 01:08:45 »
Just a thought.... I wonder how the pedestrianisation of the Main St and Square will affect the annual " look at my expensive car" parade which normally takes place around this time?  ;)

Offline Don

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #233 on: Monday, 20 July, 2015 @ 17:25:28 »
Hi all. Been reading with interest/horror of the authorities attempts to turn a 'real' village into a dysfunctional Rockery. We've been coming to Skala for 16 years and a great part of the charm was observing the buzz of activity on the Main Street as a working community went about its daily business.

We arrive on Thursday 23rd at about 4 in the afternoon staying at Casa d'ionio right on the Main St, with a jeep load of heavy luggage. With the restrictions now in force, will we be able to drive to the accommodation to unload, or will we have to park some way away ( God knows where) and haul the lot round to the Casa?

As a postscript - so sorry to hear the news about Dino. We stayed at Panorama last year and he was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. A true character and a great loss to the village.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 @ 00:39:57 »
 :yiasou:

The wording in the (small) signs is in Greek only but, as I understand it, the main street is pedestrianised. Period. Delivery vehicles are allowed between 06:00-12:00.

Mind you, "laws are made to be broken" (famous Greek saying) and it doesn't stop all manner of vehicles up  to twelve noon. After that it gets a bit dicey. A woman who'd parked near the 'new' periptero came in the other day with a 40€ parking ticket and asked us what it was and what to do with it.

"At your own risk" might be appropriate.

Getting quite accustomed to the Chinese cobbles but "dysfunctional rockery"... wish I'd thought of that!

Offline Don

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 @ 02:13:34 »
Thanks Maik. 40 euros or a hernia - hmm- I'll give it some thought on the plane....

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, 21 July, 2015 @ 17:18:29 »
Just a thought.... I wonder how the pedestrianisation of the Main St and Square will affect the annual " look at my expensive car" parade which normally takes place around this time?  ;)

I understand from social media that this years "parade" will commence in the next day or so.

I'm sure the local police will take extreme pleasure in ticketing any Lambo or Ferrari parading up and down the main st although the 40 euro fine will be small beans to the vehicle owners and worth it to allow such ego boosting.

IMO parading these vehicles during times of austerity is a slap in the face of those suffering hardship at this time, but that's just my opinion. Here's hoping the cobbles do a good job on my behalf.

;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, 22 July, 2015 @ 00:23:19 »
parading these vehicles during times of austerity is a slap in the face of those suffering hardship at this time

Yep, incredible insensitivity.