Author Topic: Whatsapp? You're hacked  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Whatsapp? You're hacked
« on: Tuesday, 14 May, 2019 @ 11:10:52 »
Whatsapp hack: Company urges 1.5 billion users to update app over security fears

Whatsapp has urged users to update their messaging app after concerns were raised that hackers could inject spy software on to phones via the call function.

The Facebook-owned company said the spyware was spread by an “advanced cyber actor”, and infected multiple mobile phones using a major vulnerability in the app.

The spyware, developed by the secretive Israeli company NSO Group, has the ability to give hackers full access to a phone remotely, allowing them to read messages, see contacts and activate the camera.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/05/14/whatsapp-flaw-allowed-israeli-hackers-snoop-phones/

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Whatsapp? You're hacked
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 14 May, 2019 @ 12:40:59 »
The update removes the security flaw, but as far as I can see does nothing to address any software that may have been installed whilst there was a vulnerability.

Offline janey

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 14 May, 2019 @ 13:43:43 »
Ive uninstalled and reinstalled and I've lost all my contacts!!!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 14 May, 2019 @ 18:53:24 »
Ive uninstalled and reinstalled and I've lost all my contacts!!!

That happened to me last week just random but for you it's WhatsApp not completing the circuit yet.  It's to do with the way mobiles sync contacts. I fiddled with my mobile for an hour or so and nothing happened, then just left it for a couple of hours and all was well.  You can go into settings on WhatsApp and/or Accounts -> Outlook/Gmail and force a sync but it may well do its own thing.

Tony

Offline janey

• Participant
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 @ 13:07:11 »
I looked at faq's and there was one saying have you allowed it to link with your contacts, no I hadn't! All ok now.