Author Topic: Brexit slows bookings  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Brexit slows bookings
« on: Friday, 01 November, 2019 @ 09:29:50 »
Hotels concerned over extension of Brexit saga

Hoteliers at summer destinations in Greece are expressing worries about the course of bookings from Britain following the new extension to the country’s departure from the European Union.

The uncertainty over a series of issues related to the exchange rate of sterling and the fears of less informed Britons about border controls have already resulted in a slump in the flow bookings over the last few days, while the announcement of a general election in Britain on December 12 has added to the confusion.

Notably, by end-January every year, up to 50 percent of bookings from Britain have already been made.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/245981/article/ekathimerini/business/hotels-concerned-over-extension-of-brexit-saga

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Brexit slows bookings
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 01 November, 2019 @ 15:20:49 »
Hotels concerned over extension of Brexit saga
Notably, by end-January every year, up to 50 percent of bookings from Britain have already been made.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/245981/article/ekathimerini/business/hotels-concerned-over-extension-of-brexit-saga

For my part, a forthcoming election is reason enough to book a holiday rather than delay doing so. The whole of November and December looking attractive.

The article reads more like getting the excuses in early...

a) It's only just November, so still three months before the "end-January" bellwether
b) I'm no statistician, but surely the 50% point of anything is an unknown until 100% has a value?. That will be this time next year.
c) Competition. Turkey and Egypt are back on the menu, along with Tunisia and Morocco of course, all as cheap sunshine destinations.

I think the Hotelier's concerns would be better directed at who or even will anyone fill the Thomas Cook vacuum?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Brexit slows bookings
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 01 November, 2019 @ 16:31:07 »
b) I'm no statistician

I think they're looking at it historically. If they know that every year the total number of bookings for the season was roughly 2x the number of bookings received by end of January, they use that as a guideline for the coming season.

But I agree, the competition is -ahem- hotting up (or it will be, come May) and it's difficult to imagine all the Thomas Cook rooms being taken by other companies.