Author Topic: Good animal news, for a change!  (Read 13461 times)

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
Good animal news, for a change!
« on: Saturday, 06 September, 2014 @ 23:27:06 »
KATs had a plea from tourist Yvvone from North Wales, to see what could be done about a painfully thin and poorly spaniel that had been wandering around Katelios for some time. Yesterday Yvonne and I took the dog to Spiridoula the vet, semi-expecting it to be a one way journey for this sweet and trusting little girl. Yes, she has Leishmainia but not so bad, and it can be cured with medication, costing 100 euros. We sweated for 24 hours waiting for the results of the kidney test... and woop-woop, they were fine! But where to home her, everyone I knew was overbursting with animals - eventually ARK agreed to take her. When Yvonne got back to her hotel, she managed to collect 70 euros in donations from other guests, and Kostas from Venus Car Hire in Katelios has agreed to foster the dog at his premises until we find a forever home for her.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the KATs charity for funding the tests and future neutering and also to thank Constance and Suzanne for their very generous donations at Aliti's Bar last night (Friday 5 Sept). We now have enough money to fund the medication, spot-on and wormer but of course, we always need more! Finally, to animal lover Yvonne, without her attention, the dog may not have survived the summer, so thanks to you all. On Monday we will collect Aphrodite, Sweetie, Koukla (we can't decide on a name yet!) and bring her back to Katelios to start her treatment and happier new life[/img]. So I know she will appreciate a bit of a fuss if you are passing by!

I do love happy endings, don't you..?!

Unfortunately, can't attach a picture as my picture is apparently too big! The picture is on my or the KATs facebook page, if you trust this website..?!
« Last Edit: Saturday, 06 September, 2014 @ 23:32:20 by jeanskala »

Offline Annie P

• Participant
Re: Good animal news, for a change!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 07 September, 2014 @ 09:31:27 »
That is excellent news Jean. We are staying in Katelios at the moment and were concerned about a cat family up the road opposite Aliti's, a male, mother and 4 or so kittens but alerted KATS and been assured they know about them although we are still taking some food as I am sure others are.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 07 September, 2014 @ 10:38:07 »
Here is the picture Jean.

Thanks for keeping an eye on the kittens Annie. I knew someone was feeding them, but didn't know who!
They all look strong and healthy and we should be able to get them neutered at the beginning of November.

Offline Annie P

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 07 September, 2014 @ 12:15:21 »
We will keep giving them some food when we pass until we leave on Tuesday. Mind you, this morning only three of the kittens and the male appeared. He let them feed though. There is another batch of kittens in the garden opposite the Village Garden taverna in the back road. One of them was all hunched up last night and this morning and does not look well. Again, I am sure folk awAre of them.

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 07 September, 2014 @ 13:20:10 »
Lovely to hear such good news.  A tip of the hat to all concerned...  :)

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 08 September, 2014 @ 00:27:03 »
We will keep giving them some food when we pass until we leave on Tuesday. Mind you, this morning only three of the kittens and the male appeared. He let them feed though. There is another batch of kittens in the garden opposite the Village Garden taverna in the back road. One of them was all hunched up last night and this morning and does not look well. Again, I am sure folk awAre of them.

Roger's wife has already spoken with the owner of the Garden Grill and we hope to get as many females neuters as we can catch. Thanks for the 'heads up' about the poorly kitten, will check on it soon and take it to the vets if necessary. Thanks for your concern and support.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 08 September, 2014 @ 00:28:19 »
Here is the picture Jean. Thanks Roger. Isn't she sweet..?!

Thanks for keeping an eye on the kittens Annie. I knew someone was feeding them, but didn't know who!
They all look strong and healthy and we should be able to get them neutered at the beginning of November.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 13 September, 2014 @ 11:04:25 »
Update on 'Sweetie'.

We picked Sweetie up from ARK, where she had been temporarily homed following her tests and gave her a good wash - with over 300 dogs there you can imagine the smell..! She is now back in Katelios with Kostos and looking much happier. She is on daily medication for 28 days for the Leishmania, which, fingers crossed, she will be clear of when re-tested.

We've been given some very generous monetary donations which have covered the cost of the medication, with more left for neutering. Others, such as David and Charlotte Baguley have kindly donated 2 trays of wet dog food, which we use to put the medication in. A big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped with Sweetie.

Obviously, we are looking to permanently home for Sweetie, who would make a lovely pet, as she's comfortable with other dogs, cats and humans and just loves to have a big fuss made of her. So if you, or you know of anyone who would be interested in offering her a forever home, please contact me.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 19 September, 2014 @ 19:33:32 »
We got back from Katelios last Sunday and were aware of more cats around than previous years and a lot of effort being put into looking after them/neutering by expats and Greeks.  In particular where we stayed at Hara and also at the Efrosyni pool/accomm where in addition to several house cats fed by Yiorgos someone had recently dumped a small white kitten.  There were a bunch of cats further down from Aliti on the wall opposite what used to be Christina's shop - plus some kittens.  They seemed to belong to the house set some way back. 

Well done everybody.  :btu:

Tony

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 20 September, 2014 @ 10:45:25 »
Thanks Tony. We are slowly making inroads into neutering the cat population in Katelios. We are aware of the white deaf cat at Efronsini but we have decided to leave it there, as it is away from roads and George feeds his growing tribe - he's happy to take the cats to keep the rodent population down, remember the complaints our charity had for ellegedly over neutering a year or so ago..?!

The kittens down in the village we are also aware of and some 'belong' to Maryalena from the gift shop, who we hope to chat to (with translator) to get some of her females caught and neutered.

Charity-wise, we've had a terrific year for donations, particularly following the Lixouri earthquakes and our request for money to purchase cat/dog food to issue to the local people. They were so grateful and we've now, following requests, have neutered several dogs and a couple have be re-homed abroad. It looks as though we are heading to neuter nearly 500 animals this year, thanks to the generosity of the tourists and supporters.

As for the stray spaniel 'Sweetie', she now has a home with me in Ano Katelios - I couldn't resist those sad eyes when I left her after feeding her with her medication at Kostas. We are both on a learning curve - she getting used to living in a house and me having my first dog! I'm sure we'll be fine when I get over her fussiness with food...!