Author Topic: Paperless driving licences  (Read 10946 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Paperless driving licences
« on: Monday, 23 March, 2015 @ 15:41:34 »
Paper section of driving licence to be scrapped by DVLA: What do I need to know?

Driving licences will go paperless from June as the government continues to press ahead with plans to take more service online.

For the past 17 years drivers have had to keep two parts of a driving licence: one a sheet of paper detailing their penalty points and endorsements, and the other a plastic ID card. The government has decided to phase out the paper element of the licence.

Earlier this year minister announced that all paper counterparts to licences would no longer be valid after 8th June this year. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) are also advising all drivers to destroy their paper counterparts.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/paper-section-of-driving-licence-to-be-scrapped-by-dvla-what-do-i-need-to-know-10127142.html

Offline janey

• Participant
Re: Paperless driving licences
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 23 March, 2015 @ 16:55:55 »
If you have a paper licence from before the id card was introduced it will still be valid.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 23 March, 2015 @ 17:08:38 »
Yes, and I really like them! Not as convenient as the card but much easier to read (e.g. when working in a car hire office).

Not that there's anything wrong with my eyesight, of course, but each year they make the writing smaller  ;)

Funny thing is, many countries use driving licences on the same size cards but some have the essential bits in very small type and some manage to get it all on in a type size that's readable. Hey ho!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 23 March, 2015 @ 18:42:53 »
Anyone who doesn't have a photocard will be unaffected by the changes.

A warning has been issued not to believe emails which seem to be from the DVLA claiming you need to click a link to verify your licence details.

Fraudsters could use the scam to plunder your bank accounts.

Companies, such as vehicle hire firms, will now need to phone the DVLA to check if you have penalty points - which could mean an extra cost passed on to drivers.

AA spokesman Paul Watters said: "This change could cause confusion. Not all drivers are comfortable with computers and surfing online. It could also cause a lot of resentment. People will also be concerned at who exactly will be able to get access to your electronic driver record, and the potential for fraud and scams.

"The introduction has already been delayed six months because of concerns that the IT wouldn’t be ready.

"Before you do destroy your counterpart, do check the electronic version to ensure they match and that you haven’t got points that shouldn’t be there, or that you are aware of any you may have forgotten."
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/happens-paper-driving-licence-abolished-June/story-26210179-detail/story.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 08:39:02 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 15:15:32 »
When the new changes come into force anyone going abroad and hiring a car will have to log on to the DVLA website with their driving licence number, National Insurance number and postcode, to obtain a special code, which they can then give to their car hire company on arrival.

But the passcode will only be valid for 72 hours - meaning travellers will have to find internet access abroad if they wish to hire a car in the second week of their visit.

Those who do not have internet access should call 0300 083 0013.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/driving-licence-paper-section-no-longer-valid-or-needed-from-monday-8-june-10299928.html

Still not really sure that will apply in Greece  :dunno:

Edit: Only had a quick look at the DVLA website but couldn't see how a hire company would validate the code is genuine.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 15:18:05 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 15:34:40 »
A-ha... maybe this is it:

Driver check service

Hire car companies can contact the Driver Check Service to check the licence of someone hiring a car. The driver must give their permission for the check.

Driver Check Service
Telephone: 09061 393 837
Find out about call charges
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y/driver-check-service

Hm, cost bound to be passed on to customer...

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 17:36:50 »
A-ha... maybe this is it:

Driver check service

Hire car companies can contact the Driver Check Service to check the licence of someone hiring a car. The driver must give their permission for the check.

Driver Check Service
Telephone: 09061 393 837
Find out about call charges
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y/driver-check-service

Hm, cost bound to be passed on to customer...
I guess I can live with that but I presume it's still relatively chilled at your end Maik with next Friday in mind ? Might be a different story when I return in August.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 19:19:59 »
That's a UK Premium Rate number. Can it be dialed from Outside the UK?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 06 June, 2015 @ 22:06:12 »
I guess I can live with that but I presume it's still relatively chilled at your end Maik with next Friday in mind ? Might be a different story when I return in August.
Don't think anyone knows anything about it (...the licence changes, that is)

That's a UK Premium Rate number. Can it be dialed from Outside the UK?
I don't think we'll be finding out!

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 07 June, 2015 @ 01:03:30 »
Thanks Maik.