Author Topic: Brexit / passports & pet passports  (Read 15007 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Brexit / passports & pet passports
« on: Saturday, 02 February, 2019 @ 22:09:45 »
No-deal Brexit: what are the implications for British travellers?
What would happen from day one if the UK crashes out of the UK?
independent.co.uk/travel: No-deal Brexit: what are the implications for British travellers?

Will your passport be valid after Brexit?
A no-deal Brexit could mean a passport is expired with more than a year to run
independent.co.uk/travel: Will your passport be valid after Brexit?

A lot of information in the Independent articles but not all of it is easy to understand, it may be easier to read the official advice in the links below and Check your passport for travel to Europe

What to expect on day one of a ‘no deal’ scenario:

Travellers to the EU with a UK passport

The passport rules for travel to most countries in Europe will change if the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 without a deal.

If you travel to Europe for work or leisure, make sure you:
• check your passport meets the new rules
• renew your passport in plenty of time before travel if necessary.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk: Travellers to the EU with a UK passport

Useful gov.uk websites: Check a passport for travel to Europe / Apply online for a UK passport

Individuals travelling with pets

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal in March 2019, it would become a third country for the purposes of pet travel.

In a ‘no deal’ scenario, pets would continue to be able to travel from the UK to the EU, but the requirements for documents and health checks would differ depending on what category of third country the UK becomes on the day we leave the EU.

If the UK becomes an unlisted country, pet passports issued in the UK would not be valid for travel to the EU.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk: Individuals travelling with pets
« Last Edit: Saturday, 02 February, 2019 @ 22:15:56 by Maik »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Brexit / passports & pet passports
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 03 February, 2019 @ 14:28:11 »
From the Indy article above:
The free circulation and movements of goods between the UK and EU would end,” says the UK government: “The European Commission has made it clear that, in the event of a ‘no deal’ scenario, it will impose full third country controls on people and goods entering the EU from the UK.”

For travellers, this means that the present arrangements which allow personal possessions to be taken from the UK to Europe without restriction will end.
God only knows what how that would be applied...  "Sorry, sir/madam if you bring that TV with you when you move here it'll cost you €100!"   :oki:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 04 February, 2019 @ 02:44:21 »
Thanks, Tony - I'd missed that!

The other thing that stands out for me is that

...flights on UK airlines to each EU country will be capped at summer 2018 levels.

A feasible scenario is that an airline will be allowed to operate only as many flights to each EU country as it did last year. At this point the carrier can decide to stick to its 2018 schedule, ie cancelling all the new departures, or pick flights which are lightly booked for cancellation.

Some carriers may be able to limit the damage by deploying larger aircraft on EU services; the cap is on flights, not seats.

The regulations would apply specifically to UK airlines.

Passengers whose flights are cancelled will qualify for a full refund of the fare, but not associated expenses – for example accommodation or car rental.

Travellers who buy package holidays will enjoy the highest degree of protection.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/no-deal-brexit-uk-travellers-holidays-flights-europe-eu-visa-payments-a8730601.html

2018 was a bumper year for incoming tourists to Greece so capacity should be high, but 2019 could be an even better year... if everyone can get on the flight they booked (and if their passports have enough days left on them).

:dunno:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 17 February, 2019 @ 03:29:40 »
Do I really need 15 months on my passport for Greece?

UK passports are unlike those issued in the rest of the European Union (and the world) in one key respect: many of them are valid for up to 10 years and nine months, rather than the normal 10 years. The difference is the generous (and now abandoned) policy of providing additional validity for up to nine months of unexpired time on the old passport. For example, my passport was issued on 12 March 2013 and expires on 12 November 2023 – 10 years and eight months later.

This is fine for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. But as soon as Britain leaves and becomes a “third country”, different rules apply.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/15-months-passport-greece-eu-brexit-travel-question-simon-calder-a8781316.html

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 17 February, 2019 @ 16:07:08 »
Do I really need 15 months on my passport for Greece?

UK passports are unlike those issued in the rest of the European Union (and the world) in one key respect: many of them are valid for up to 10 years and nine months, rather than the normal 10 years. The difference is the generous (and now abandoned) policy of providing additional validity for up to nine months of unexpired time on the old passport. For example, my passport was issued on 12 March 2013 and expires on 12 November 2023 – 10 years and eight months later.

This is fine for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. But as soon as Britain leaves and becomes a “third country”, different rules apply.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/15-months-passport-greece-eu-brexit-travel-question-simon-calder-a8781316.html

This has affected me - I need to visit the UK for my sister's wedding at the beginning of May, my first visit to the UK in 6 years, and I only discovered ten days ago that my passport, which expires in mid-December, has the extra four months from the previous passport, and it was quite likely I'd not be let back into Greece on my return a week after leaving (due to the Schengen Border Code re such UK "extended" passports' actual ten-years-and-no-more expiry date).  Thankfully, this discovery was made in plenty of time before I leave and my passport is now in Belfast, going through the renewal process.  Sodding Brexit.

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 17 February, 2019 @ 19:57:07 »
Total scaremongering!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 18 February, 2019 @ 18:14:29 »
Like you, Bryan I wouldn't take the chance.  Have a good time in Blighty without worrying.

:yiamas:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 19 February, 2019 @ 03:27:27 »
Few more months, Bryan, and you would have had a nice new blue passport!

The new blue and gold passports, complete with a new, super-strength plastic polycarbonate picture page, will only be issued to those renewing or applying for a new passport from October 2019.

In the intervening six months, burgundy passports will continue to be issued – but with no reference to the European Union.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-blue-passport-uk-valid-no-deal-eu-schengen-a8783491.html

Check a passport for travel to Europe

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 19 February, 2019 @ 13:56:10 »
Few more months, Bryan, and you would have had a nice new blue passport!

The new blue and gold passports, complete with a new, super-strength plastic polycarbonate picture page, will only be issued to those renewing or applying for a new passport from October 2019.

In the intervening six months, burgundy passports will continue to be issued – but with no reference to the European Union.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-blue-passport-uk-valid-no-deal-eu-schengen-a8783491.html

Check a passport for travel to Europe

Drat, I knew there was something that made sense in the sheer idiocy of Brexit - it's the new colour of the passport...!!   :wacko:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 19 February, 2019 @ 16:31:18 »
'Fraid not, Bry - can't even say that leaving the EU allows 'us' to pick passport colour:

The current burgundy colour is recommended, but not mandated, by EU rules. Croatia, for example, issues EU passports in blue.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/03/black-or-blue-confusion-grows-over-traditional-british-passport-colour

I'm a little surprised the government has not jumped on the bandwagon and issued them with rainbow coloured covers.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 23 February, 2019 @ 01:26:19 by Maik »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 19 February, 2019 @ 19:23:23 »
I never knew we could have had blue passports all the time.  So all that "Take back control of... your passport" was eyewash.  Couldn't give a monkey's about the colour myself.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 23 February, 2019 @ 01:42:22 »
Passports

Check your passport here

The rules for travel to most countries in Europe change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal. If your adult passport was issued over 9 years ago, you may be affected. You should use this tool to check your passport is still valid for your trip before booking travel.

Adult and child passports should have at least 6 months remaining from your date of travel. If you renewed your passport early, extra months would have been added to your new passport. These extra months will not count towards this so some passport holders will need to have more than 6 months remaining in order to travel.

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document (sometimes called an emergency passport).

Last updated 22 February 2019

Updated information on passports: you must use the checker tool to see if your passport is still valid for your trip
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-greece#passports

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 07 March, 2019 @ 02:33:41 »
Holidaymakers ‘face Friday deadline’ to renew passport in case of no-deal Brexit

Millions of UK travellers could be barred from entering several European countries in the event of a no-deal Brexit unless they renew their passports by Friday, a consumer group has claimed.

Holidaymakers and business travellers risk falling foul of rules for entering countries in the Schengen zone such as France, Spain and Italy, according to Which?.

Figures obtained by Which? show that around 3.5 million current British passports will not comply with the validity rules.

The consumer group noted that Friday will be three weeks before the UK is due to withdraw from the EU, which is the time it takes for passports to arrive after a standard renewal application.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-07/holidaymakers-face-friday-deadline-to-renew-passport-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit/

Check your passport for travel to Europe

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 08 March, 2019 @ 10:37:02 »
Will my passport still be valid when I fly in May?

Q We have booked a holiday in Kefalonia from 8 to 22 May this year. My passport expires on 13 October. Will it be valid?

Carole S

A How lovely to be going to Greece’s Ionian islands in mid-May – an ideal time to be there, before the heat and crowds of July and August arrive. But I am afraid no one knows if your passport will be accepted for travel. It depends on...
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/travel-question-passport-valid-expires-brexit-no-deal-a8811246.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Monday, 22 April, 2019 @ 15:10:49 »
Another date, 30 June, is the deadline for British holidaymakers who want to take their dog or cat (or, indeed, ferret) to the European Union after that 31 October departure date. With no certainty about the “pet passport” regime from November onwards, the government says: “To make sure your pet is able to travel from the UK to the EU after EU Exit in any scenario, you should contact your vet at least four months before travelling to get the latest advice.”

Thus the unholy mess continues.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-eu-travel-holidays-passports-a8880101.html