Author Topic: International Driving Permit  (Read 12688 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
International Driving Permit
« on: Friday, 01 February, 2019 @ 03:04:53 »
Post Office expands sale of international driving permits ahead of Brexit

The Post Office has increased the number of branches selling International Driving Permits (IDPs) ahead of Brexit.

UK motorists may require the documents to drive in the EU in the event of a no-deal withdrawal from the bloc.

IDPs were previously available from the AA and the RAC through the post, at the AA shop at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone and at 89 Post Office branches.

From Friday they can only be bought from 2,500 Post Office branches – around a fifth – at a cost of £5.50 each.

The requirement for UK motorists to have an IDP varies across the world and different versions of the document cover specific countries.

Previously just two types were sold in the UK, but a third is now available which will enable driving in several more EU states.

Mutual recognition of driving licences between the UK and EU may end in the event of a no-deal Brexit, meaning UK drivers may need an IDP to drive in the EU.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-01/post-office-expands-sale-of-international-driving-permits-ahead-of-brexit/

Driving in the EU and EEA from 29 March 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEA countries

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

On 29 March 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal or any other relevant agreement, you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:... Greece...
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/international-driving-permits-for-uk-drivers-from-28-march-2019

If you already have an IDP

After 28 March 2019, your permit might not be accepted in some countries. Check if the country you’re visiting will still accept your 1926 or 1949 permit after this date. You can check the front of your permit to see which type you have.

If your current IDP is not accepted, you’ll need to replace it with a 1968 permit.

A 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

Post Office IDP branch finder

So, still not clear if UK nationals visiting Greece will need an IDP if they want to drive, but if they do it will be a 1968 IDP.

Offline Preseren

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
Re: International Driving Permit
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 26 February, 2019 @ 13:10:02 »
Ok so if I understand right, this map (https://www.vehicle-rent.com/vrmedia/images/International_drivers_licence.original.png) is not valid any more?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, 26 February, 2019 @ 16:09:57 »
So, still not clear if UK nationals visiting Greece will need an IDP if they want to drive, but if they do it will be a 1968 IDP.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 30 March, 2019 @ 00:45:32 »
Post Offices running out of 'no-deal Brexit driving permits' - what you need to know

UK drivers have expressed anger after some Post Offices around the country have run out of the driving permits required to travel in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The backlash comes because if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on April 12 EU countries will not recognise a UK driving licence without an additional permit.

In a statement to ITV News, the Post Office confirmed a high demand for the permits and assured worried travellers that more stock would arrive by 2 April.
https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-29/post-office-no-deal-brexit-drivers-permits/

https://youtu.be/b_uPmJQYmhU?t=1

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 06 November, 2019 @ 19:22:08 »
I just purchased an IDP just in case of a 'no deal', which is still possible. My licence includes category A, which is a motorcycle above 125cc. When the Post Office would only stamp A1 (up to 125cc), I questioned this and was shown a guidance document. Apparently the 1968 convention does not include a category A and I was assured that A1 includes all categories of motorcycle. I hope they are correct, but I wonder if anyone else has come across this anomaly?

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 06 November, 2019 @ 20:47:35 »
I just purchased an IDP just in case of a 'no deal', which is still possible. My licence includes category A, which is a motorcycle above 125cc. When the Post Office would only stamp A1 (up to 125cc), I questioned this and was shown a guidance document. Apparently the 1968 convention does not include a category A and I was assured that A1 includes all categories of motorcycle. I hope they are correct, but I wonder if anyone else has come across this anomaly?
Hi Roger, Yes I got an IDP for a just in case situation but only got it stamped for a car (Categorty B) although my UK licence does cover me for motorcycles. Can I ask how long your IDP is valid for? Mine is only for a year but I am sure I read somewhere that it should be for 3 years. 

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 06 November, 2019 @ 22:30:24 »
Can I ask how long your IDP is valid for? Mine is only for a year but I am sure I read somewhere that it should be for 3 years.

A 1926 or 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

If it ends up that we need an IDP to drive in Greece then it will be a 1968 IDP (scroll down the page here: www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit, sounds as though yours isn't, BeeTee.

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 00:08:52 »
Can I ask how long your IDP is valid for? Mine is only for a year but I am sure I read somewhere that it should be for 3 years.

A 1926 or 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

If it ends up that we need an IDP to drive in Greece then it will be a 1968 IDP (scroll down the page here: www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit, sounds as though yours isn't, BeeTee.

Mine is a 1968 one. Looks like the Post Office have made a mistake. Oh well, what are the chances I will get the Post Office to correct it. 

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 09:32:33 »
We got our in May. We have the 1968 ones and Jan's is for 3 years, but mine only lasts until next May because that's when I have to renew my UK Licence as I'm over 70. Does this help explain the anomaly?
« Last Edit: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 09:34:04 by U4ea »

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 10:09:48 »
Roger. Not sure it clarifies anything, or further muddies the water.
Given the explanation you were given, perhaps it's mine that's wrong?

My 8 November 1968 convention IDP lasts for 3 years (expires 2022)
The image below indicates the stamps provided on mine,

« Last Edit: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 10:19:28 by TonyD »

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 10:26:07 »
As confirmed above the IDP lasts for 3 years, unless your licence expires sooner.
Tony, your IDP has now made me even more uncertain, because you actually have A stamped. Perhaps the Post Office you went to didn't' consult the guidance document? Only way to find out is to ring DVLC.

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 10:35:17 »

Mine is a 1968 one. Looks like the Post Office have made a mistake. Oh well, what are the chances I will get the Post Office to correct it.

Thinking back to when I got mine earlier in the year I remember the girl behind the desk saying that mine was the first one she had done. Should have checked more closely at the time.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 10:56:57 »
I know Maik's provided a link to the PO website, where ALL the IDP info can be found
But here's a pic of my IDP, the one required for Greece - 8 November 1968 IDP
any help BeeTee?

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 13:34:19 »
I know Maik's provided a link to the PO website, where ALL the IDP info can be found
But here's a pic of my IDP, the one required for Greece - 8 November 1968 IDP
any help BeeTee?

Cheers Tony. Mine is exactly the same on the front except obviously the dates where I have 'Valid until 1st April 2020' with date 'Date 1st April 2019'. Maybe mine is a special April Fools Day IDP  :dunno:

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, 07 November, 2019 @ 14:53:12 »
I have now discussed my IDP with DVLA and they have now confirmed that the Post Office was wrong and they should have stamped Cat A. Went back to PO and they have agreed with DVLA and apologized.
Do not worry Tony, yours is correct!