Author Topic: Licences for car hire  (Read 12368 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Licences for car hire
« on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 00:07:54 »
Follow-up to Paperless driving licences:

DVLA driving licence paperless change could mean car chaos this summer

Holidaymakers are being warned to expect a summer of car hire disruption after it emerged that the DVLA is to scrap the paper counterpart of driving licences from 8 June, with drivers told to obtain a special online code before heading abroad – or possibly be refused a rental car.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/25/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-car-hire

Might be worth bearing in mind but really not sure this will result in any more chaos than usual in Greece.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
Re: Licences for car hire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 00:32:08 »
Gordon Bennett me in front of a computer trying to interface with a DVLA website the day before I fly ! Being the technophobe I am I'll need a couple of weeks in Kef to recover from the trauma. That's before the interrogation by the guy from the Argostoli office ! Might drop you a line next week Maik to see how the land lies.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 26 April, 2015 @ 19:59:46 »
I certainly hadn't heard of this and it seems pretty outrageous to me, not to mention complicated.  The Guardian article is helpful and I'm printing it out for future reference, which I suggest everyone should consider.  I thought at first this would not apply if you kept your paper "counterpart", but of course that's wrong as they will quickly be out of date so it applies to everyone.

We now hire a car in Paxos because we stay a fair way up a steep hill.  We've never been asked for our paper licence as far as I recall.  What usually happens in Greece?

In fact we pick up the car at the quayside at the small harbour outside Gaios and I'm not sure we even show any kind of licence!!!!!!!  We certainly don't sign any form of hire agreement other than something minimal when we book with Sunvil!! We just give the keys back when we drop it off to get the boat back to Corfu.  It all seems very relaxed and informal but I wonder about what happens if anything goes wrong.  We actually do take out extra insurance in the UK to cover excess etc.

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 13:03:50 »
Follow-up to Paperless driving licences:

DVLA driving licence paperless change could mean car chaos this summer

Holidaymakers are being warned to expect a summer of car hire disruption after it emerged that the DVLA is to scrap the paper counterpart of driving licences from 8 June, with drivers told to obtain a special online code before heading abroad – or possibly be refused a rental car.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/apr/25/dvla-driving-licence-paperless-car-hire

Might be worth bearing in mind but really not sure this will result in any more chaos than usual in Greece.

I only have a UK paper licence as I was never tempted to apply for a *card licence*. My current paper licence is now 39 years old and extremely dog-eared and tatty. It expires in August 2015 so I am pleased I am going to Kef in May rather than June so will avoid any grey areas and additional red tape. BUT, I believe my next licence will be a freebie  :) although I won't be licensed to drive track laying vehicles and PSV's!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 16:48:58 »
Heard of a car hire office out here that asked for both parts but, in my experience, most will settle for the card only. As its says, most car hire companies are unaware of the change so I'd think there will be hirers presenting the paper part, if requested, and getting away with it. Hey ho!

Now, Phil, about the track laying...

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 18:10:11 »

Now, Phil, about the track laying...

It probably means I cannot pursue a career building roads in Greece. Or maybe I am only excluded from driving steam driven traction engines in the UK?

But, I still appear to be licensed and insured to drive 4x4's on unpaved roads in Kef so I am very happy  :) :yahoo:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 18:47:30 »
My current paper licence is now 39 years old and extremely dog-eared and tatty.

Is this a record?!

...I am going to Kef in May rather than June so will avoid any grey areas...

Er... where are those grey areas you mentioned, Phil?!  Not noticed them myself.   ;)

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 19:08:43 »
[

Er... where are those grey areas you mentioned, Phil?!  Not noticed them myself.   ;)

Tony

Well, there won't be 50 of them .........

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Monday, 27 April, 2015 @ 22:15:28 »
It probably means I cannot pursue a career building roads in Greece.

Pity, there's a few that need finishing.

Well, there won't be 50 of them .........

Hm, Greek accounting can be a bit shady.