Author Topic: Blue Flag 2020  (Read 5558 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Blue Flag 2020
« on: Friday, 22 May, 2020 @ 14:51:43 »
Greek beaches awarded second highest number of Blue Flags

Greeceā€™s beaches have received the second largest number of Blue Flags among 47 countries worldwide this year, behind Spain.

The results were announced Thursday by the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature (HSPN).

Greek beaches got a total of 497 flags, while 14 marinas and six sustainable boating tourism operators also received the distinction.
https://www.ekathimerini.com/252937/article/ekathimerini/news/greek-beaches-awarded-second-highest-number-of-blue-flags

I understand these beaches on Kefalonia & Ithaka have Blue Flag status, 2020:

Agia Barbara, Katelios
Ammes
AntiSamos
Avithos
Bouka, Gradakia
Lepeda
Lourdas
Makris Yialos
Megali Ammos
Mounda 1
Mounda 2
Petani
Platis Yialos
Spasmata
Xi

Poly - Ta Dexia, Ithaka (Town beach, right)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Blue Flag 2020
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 23 May, 2020 @ 08:23:38 »
I am not happy that Agia Barbara beach has been given this status. The stream that discharges at the west end of the beach has a large concentration of algae. It has been the source of pollution in the past from various businesses, allegedly from a laundry and a cheese factory. If anyone took a water sample, it certainly wasn't anywhere near the stream.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 23 May, 2020 @ 19:56:55 »
Algae's a funny thing, looks yucky and algal blooms can be dangerous to health, but algae can also be very beneficial. According to Linda Graham, a professor of botany at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, "Algae are indispensable because they produce about half the oxygen in Earth's atmosphere" [livescience.com]. Other sources reckon algae in the sea produces up to 80% of oxygen. I know there were terrapins in one of the streams, might still be there I think maybe they disappeared after one bout of very heavy rainfall washed them away into the sea. And if I remember, there were ducks on the beach at the second stream, but I think they disappeared ages ago.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 24 May, 2020 @ 07:56:03 »
Algae's a funny thing, looks yucky and algal blooms can be dangerous to health, but algae can also be very beneficial. According to Linda Graham, a professor of botany at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, "Algae are indispensable because they produce about half the oxygen in Earth's atmosphere" [livescience.com]. Other sources reckon algae in the sea produces up to 80% of oxygen. I know there were terrapins in one of the streams, might still be there I think maybe they disappeared after one bout of very heavy rainfall washed them away into the sea. And if I remember, there were ducks on the beach at the second stream, but I think they disappeared ages ago.

We have had ducks and geese in the past, but they moved on, or were eaten by immigrants. As for the terrapins and fish in the stream that had always been there, I believe that pollution has killed them. This pollution has become a concern over recent years and it is time for the relevant authority to take some action.