Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 15226 times)

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
Wasps
« on: Saturday, 06 August, 2016 @ 15:27:36 »
Heard there are loads of wasps about this year, are there noticeably more the usual?

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 06 August, 2016 @ 15:35:44 »
I don't know about the numbers of flies this year, but I thought I'd share a trick to fend them off that I found out about recently.

just hang a CD you no longer want so that it reflects the sunlight, obviously being careful to avoid annoying other people.

Flies, wasps and bees, have compound eyes, but no eyelids, so they tend to avoid very bright or flashing things.

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 06 August, 2016 @ 16:12:30 »
I don't know about the numbers of flies this year, but I thought I'd share a trick to fend them off that I found out about recently.

just hang a CD you no longer want so that it reflects the sunlight, obviously being careful to avoid annoying other people.

Flies, wasps and bees, have compound eyes, but no eyelids, so they tend to avoid very bright or flashing things.

Read somewhere that a small clear plastic bag half filled with water and hung in a doorway deters flies because the light shining through water confuses them. I think you CD option would look much better.

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 08:18:11 »
Hardly seen any wasps  this year not like it was a few years ago. A lot of taverna owners are burning Greek coffee to deter them.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 11:19:26 »
We had the beginning of a Wasp nest in a lower roof tile. Managed to destroy the nest and approximately 25 wasps with insecticide foam spray. They are about, but as Bell stated earlier in the thread;no where near as many as there were three years ago!

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 11:22:05 »
Thanks everyone, have used the coffee deterrent before and it does seem to work.
Not in Kef again until September but heard Fiscardo area had loads of the stinging blighters at the moment.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 13:13:57 »
A dead rat hanging over your doorway will attract them.......

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 14:07:56 »
Wasps have a five year cycle. Two years ago they were dreadful!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 07 August, 2016 @ 15:45:57 »
Next thing you know, they'll be on brand new ones. Or even on quads

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Monday, 08 August, 2016 @ 20:03:34 »

Val Doonican is particularly effective, I hear!  ;)

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 @ 16:04:03 »
Give children as much sticky sweets, ice cream, jam tarts etc. etc  and make sure they get as much round their faces and hands as possible.  Then the wasps will chase after them and leave you alone.  Any children will do as long as they are mobile, especially those noisy little gits from next door.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 @ 17:35:08 »
In all seriousness, at your restaurant / taverna, order an extra souvlaki stick and quietly chuck it under a neighbouring table. Watch that table dance whilst you eat wasp free.........

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, 09 August, 2016 @ 17:35:51 »
Heard there are loads of wasps about this year, are there noticeably more the usual?
I've counted 7 more so far.....