Author Topic: Greece in good spirits  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Greece in good spirits
« on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 09:42:38 »
Pick-me-up for Greek spirits as distillers get creative

Can an aged tsipouro compete with a good grappa? Or a Greek liqueur with a fine cognac or armagnac? The answer is yes, because in the past few years, Greek distillers have been working miracles, with a growing number of vintners joining their ranks and bartenders using Greek spirits in cocktails, giving them their own distinctive twist. Excellent tsipouro, premium ouzo, brandy, tentura and mastiha liqueur – which is now gaining an international reputation – are shaping a new category in the Greek beverage business and its future is looking bright.

Thanasis Parparoussis has been producing a wonderful spirit from Sideritis grapes and tsipouro from a blend of Sideritis and Mavrodafni.

“A wine liqueur can become as good as a malt whisky or a cognac depending on its complexity and aromas,” he says. “But everything needs to be done correctly, not hurried. The same goes for tsipouro and any other spirit.”

“There are two sides to the market,” says the vintner. “On the one hand we have businesses that are licensed, that use tax warehouses and whose products are inspected by the state’s chemical laboratory at the production, delivery and bottling stages. One the other we have the uncontrolled bulk market, which in the case of tsipouro in particular represents 95 percent of consumption. I’m afraid that the hike in the tax on wine and other alcoholic drinks will lead to even more illegal practices.”
http://www.ekathimerini.com/207108/article/ekathimerini/life/pick-me-up-for-greek-spirits-as-distillers-get-creative

:hmm: If there is a world Scotch shortage it might be a good opportunity for Greek distillers

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: Greece in good spirits
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 16:27:57 »
I hope the Greek distillers all the best but I very much doubt that they will ever come up with something to  match an oak aged single malt such as my particular favourite, the rather prosaically named Highland Park.  I am happy to attend a tasting if they think they can do it.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Greece in good spirits
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 20:04:57 »
I very much doubt that they will ever come up with something to  match an oak aged single malt

I'd rather have a drop of local tsipouro.
Call me Phyllis Stein if you want.
But only at weekends, big boy  ;)