Author Topic: Tirana to Kefalonia  (Read 46048 times)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Tirana to Kefalonia
« Reply #25 on: Friday, 09 May, 2014 @ 20:23:03 »
Another thing I have noticed is, there is no rubbish along the roads like there is in Greece! They have more respect for their country.

It's all very fascinating Roger and certainly an eye-opener.  Perhaps Hoxha used to have the litter louts shot or if they were lucky sent to a re-education camp for 30 years.   :blink:

Tony

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #26 on: Friday, 09 May, 2014 @ 20:54:43 »
Day 4: A very very hard ride today! Lots of climbs and a mountain pass over 1000 metres. A total of 126 kms from Vlore to Sarande and an average of only 17.6 kms/hr. About 7 hours in the saddle and I can feel it! I remember seeing the delta from the Venice ferry, but never thought I would cycle past it. Once again a very well appointed hotel in Sarande with a sea view and an outside lift!

Looking back from the climb toward Vlore.

A deserted beach from the top of the pass at 2030 metres.

The crazy road down the other side.

A view of the desertrd delta.

A very well appointed hotel once again.

« Last Edit: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 07:32:17 by Jolly Roger »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, 10 May, 2014 @ 00:05:22 »
Amazing photos again and an amazing journey.  :btu:

Is Mrs. Roger travelling by car???!  (Assuming that is indeed she  ;) )

Just sent you a PM.

Tony

PS Dunno how you managed to post this after your ride today - presumably standing  :lol: .  And make sure your brakes are OK if you get another descent like that!!  :(
« Last Edit: Saturday, 10 May, 2014 @ 00:10:09 by TonyKath »

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, 10 May, 2014 @ 02:01:37 »
The scenery looks stunning.
Thanks for posting a daily report Roger I find them fascinating to read and the photos are amazing.

I hope you are not feeling too sore. Are you using Assos cream or bananas?

Best wishes for the rest of the trip.

Phil

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, 10 May, 2014 @ 06:26:57 »
Are you using Assos cream or bananas?

:blink:  :unsure:

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, 10 May, 2014 @ 13:44:00 »
Are you using Assos cream or bananas?

:blink:  :unsure:

Ha ha, I know it could be misinterpreted, but a lot of cyclists do use lubricants under the lycra ..........

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, 11 May, 2014 @ 16:27:39 »
Day 5: An easier day today than yesterday. 114 kms to add to the total and an average today of 22.3 kms/hr. Problems with internet and battery!
Now I have a chance to say a few more words. This is a chain driven ferry at the Butrint National Park. We waited for it and then realised that you had to shout for it. The horse picture was nearby. The dam is a hydro electric dam just inside the Greek border. Tonight was spent in Parga

« Last Edit: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 07:39:16 by Jolly Roger »

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, 11 May, 2014 @ 17:12:09 »
Wot a great adventure so far Roger, am well impressed ! Keep up the good work.

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, 11 May, 2014 @ 19:49:11 »
Thanks for the latest report Roger. Great to see a KEB reg car in Albania too!
It looks like the weather has been kind to you. I hope you enjoy the rest of the trip and the weather/ferries etc are in your favour.

Cheers
Phil

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, 11 May, 2014 @ 20:03:40 »
Day 6: Day after day of distances more than 100 kms is taking its' toll! Still, on the home stretch now. Today from Parga to Vasiliki, a distance of 118 kms at an average of 22.3 kms/hr. The picture shows Sheila waiting to go through the tunnel at Preveza. I got to Vasiliki in time to get on the ferry to Kef, so we decided to stay with friends of a friend at Vasilikades. The picture below shows their lounge! So tomorrow I have a quick dash for home. I hope no one will mind if I start from Vasilikades and not Fiskardo?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, 11 May, 2014 @ 23:51:14 »

Wot a great adventure so far Roger, am well impressed ! Keep up the good work.

Yep, same from me, too.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #36 on: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 16:52:44 »
Day 7: Vasilikades to Valeriano. Today a journey home of just 75 kms, but it wasn't easy with a headwind to contend with. With the road closed near Myrtos, I had to go the longer way round. The whole journey had gone to plan without any mishaps thankfully. Except 2 kms from home and a bee got trapped under my crash hat and stung me! Another picture of the guest house at Vasilikades and a timed picture of me in a state of collapse. I hope to write a blog of my journey and impressions of Albania soon. Total distance was 586 kms.

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #37 on: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 18:21:30 »
Well Done Roger, a supreme effort!  :yahoo:

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #38 on: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 19:11:56 »
Hang on, I thought you were going to do the return trip as well....only kidding. Well done Roger. 

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #39 on: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 20:22:09 »
Ha ha ! Well done that man. Good stuff, looking forward to the blog. A few cold one's and a lie down in a cool dark room old bean. Again well done skip.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #40 on: Monday, 12 May, 2014 @ 20:28:23 »
Tremendous achievement Roger!   :btu: :btu: :btu:

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 @ 00:43:57 »
Well done Roger. I look forward to reading your blog in due course. I'm sure it will be fascinated reading and well done Sheila too for providing all the support operations and logistics.

That bee sting could have been very nasty. I'm glad you survived. My eldest son got stung whilst on the bike leg of a big triathlon event a couple of years ago. The sudden loss of concentration caused him to go head first through the back window of a car which was parked up attending to another injured rider..........

I hope I can get out to Kef soon to buy you that beer!
A donation has just gone to KAT's

Cheers
Phil

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 @ 10:41:19 »
What a fantastic achievement Roger. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your daily accounts and admiring the wonderful photos.   Well done.
I have made a donation to KATS via pay-pal.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 @ 12:01:11 »
Congratubloominlations Roger.  I recommend you now get a large cushion and sit on it for a couple of weeks.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, 13 May, 2014 @ 18:14:48 »
Well done Roger what an achievement! Can I now put you down for the two stages of the Tour de France in Yorkshire ?Look forward to reading your Blog and showing my son as he is a dead keen rider. The photos were bloomin wonderful. Opened my eyes as I had always thought Albania was a bit of a dump, Quite impressed !!Sorry I am not in PayPal but will donate when next out.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, 22 May, 2014 @ 17:40:58 »
For anyone considering a cycle ride through Albania, or for anyone that is just interested, here is a link to my blog.
Albania to Kefalonia by bicycle

The amount raised for the Kefalonia Animal Trust charity is in excess of 500 euros. Thank you to everyone that has supported me and I hope you enjoy reading about the trip.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, 22 May, 2014 @ 19:10:16 »
Great blog and some brill pics. Enjoyed it very much. Wot's next ? Answers on a postcard please !!!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, 22 May, 2014 @ 19:56:20 »
Tremendous blog Roger with some fascinating stories.  How on earth did you find such nice places to stay???!  The roof terrace at the hotel in Saranda was to die for.  And a really great amount raised for KATS. 

:yiamas:

Tony

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, 05 July, 2014 @ 23:14:18 »
And a really great amount raised for KATS.

Tony

I just realized that I had updated the amount raised for the KAT charity on Facebook, but neglected to do it here! The total referred to by Tony was 500 euros, but this now stands at more than 1000 euros! Absolutely incredible amount and many thanks to all who have contributed.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, 16 July, 2014 @ 19:11:48 »
And a really great amount raised for KATS.

Tony

I just realized that I had updated the amount raised for the KAT charity on Facebook, but neglected to do it here! The total referred to by Tony was 500 euros, but this now stands at more than 1000 euros! Absolutely incredible amount and many thanks to all who have contributed.

Only seeing this now.

Strewth, M8 !!!  :btu: :btu: :btu:

(Perhaps they'll gently suggest Thessaloniki next year - maybe you could try for Kilkis, not so far away!!)

Tony