The Agora > Kefalonia News

Katelios fire

(1/5) > >>

Maik:

--- Quote ---School evacuated in Cephalonia due to blaze

A high school was evacuated by local authorities on the island of Cephalonia on Thursday after a second fire broke out in grassland between the villages of Pastra and Katelio in the southeast.

Deputy regional governor Panagis Drakoulogonas ordered the evacuation of the school, located in Pastra, for precautionary reasons, according to state-run news agency ANA-MPA.

Fire fighters have been struggling to contain two separate fronts on the island, one near the village of Zola, where some homes were evacuated on Wednesday, and the new one in Pastra and Katelio, but gale force winds were hampering their efforts.

Earlier this morning, a fire service vehicle overturned at a crossroads in Argostoli and two fire men were lightly injured.
--- End quote ---
http://www.ekathimerini.com/233018/article/ekathimerini/news/school-evacuated-in-cephalonia-due-to-blaze

Brief report on protothema.gr re the fire in Zola, AFAIK it was under control and pretty much extinguished around 04:00 this morning

TonyD:
Within yards of properties at the top end of Ano Katelios now, and the bamboo's popping.
Usefully a van of firefighters and then a fire engine have just arrived, so fingers crossed.

Very thick smoke drifting straight down toward and through Kato Katelios, so could be Kippers on the menu tonight.

TonyD:
Latest: 16:00
Properties in Ano Katelios ordered to evacuate.
Another fire tender and both Camels in attendance, but helicopter no longer here.
From my vantage point I can see fire has split three ways, and is heading toward Pastra, Markopolous, and up and over the mountain toward Ratzakli
White ash and thick smoke Kato Katelios

HiFi:
I understand schools are closed tomorrow because of the high winds.....

Maik:
I gather elderly occupants in Ano Katelios have been moved out for their own safety, the fire is just outside Markopoulo and approaching Skala. Don't know if TonyD has any updates on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version