Author Topic: Poros road closure  (Read 14691 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Poros road closure
« on: Thursday, 18 August, 2016 @ 13:29:13 »
Looks as though the main Argostoli-Poros road will be closed through the Poros gorge from today, 18/08/16, between the hours of 08:30 - 18:30. Road will re-open when work completed, no indication of when that will be. In the meantime traffic is diverted via Katelios and Skala.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Poros road closure
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 18 August, 2016 @ 15:26:34 »
Looks as though the main Argostoli-Poros road will be closed through the Poros gorge from today, 18/08/16, between the hours of 08:30 - 18:30. Road will re-open when work completed, no indication of when that will be. In the meantime traffic is diverted via Katelios and Skala.

Work being done on rock face in the gorge. Open to single file light traffic today, but trucks are being diverted.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 19 August, 2016 @ 17:56:46 »
Latest I've heard, the gorge will be down to a single lane today and tomorrow, Saturday, then both lanes open on Sunday. From Monday until completion, anticipated to be sometime Thursday, the road will be closed in both directions between 08:30-18:30.

Why they can't announce this sort of thing well in advance...  :oki:

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 @ 16:17:46 »
There are huge trucks being diverted through Skala around the narrow streets past Akri bar and along the beach front with all the families on holiday. The idiot who made the decision to do this work in one of the busiest weeks of the year needs his head examining. I just hope there are no accidents. On top of thus we are about to get a thunder storm!!

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 @ 17:08:31 »
That sound dangerous and I bet businesses aren't too happy about the noise and dust that will chuck up   :btd:

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 23 August, 2016 @ 23:25:21 »
And people get paid for making these decisions? Wouldn't pay them out in washers!!!

Offline Colin

• Spectator
  • Forum Fan
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 25 August, 2016 @ 13:55:15 »
Have been to Poros today, 25/008/16 and the road was open as normal, no sign of any work taking place now.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 26 August, 2016 @ 17:48:46 »
Well, way I heard it, work was planned to be completed on/by Thursday BUT I've now heard the contractor pulled out before work was completed citing "uncooperative motorists and police". Hey ho!

Sounds as though there may be implications for other, end of season, roadworks.

:dunno:

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Monday, 29 August, 2016 @ 19:07:13 »
Looks like work is srarting again tomorrow (30/08/16). Google translation.

After the refusal of the Region at the contractor's request for stopping vrachoprostasias project in the Strait of Poros, today started work again.

The road will be closed tomorrow, and there will be the necessary signaling for the timely update of drivers and change their course.

The communication on the matter from the Directorate of the Region Construction Engineering:

We inform you that from tomorrow Tuesday 30/8/2016 will run vrachoprostasias work on provincial road no. 1 Argostoli - Poros at "Steno of PorosĀ» Poros entrance. Therefore the provincial road in this position will remain closed from 8:30 until the 18:30 as long lasting work and renovation until further notice.

For these hours there are alternative access routes to and from the port of Poros, with the main provincial road through Skala.

For as long as the road remains closed they will be placed under the responsibility of the contractor informative signs - bypass the following points of the provincial road:

Harbour Poros
Tzanata
Saint Irene
Neatness
square 

http://www.inkefalonia.gr/koinonia/45178-ksekinise-pali-to-ergo-sto-steno-tou-porou-apo-aurio-kleistos-o-dromos-upd

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 01 September, 2016 @ 22:10:10 »
Heard today that the road will be closed two days per week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. No idea for how long though.

Offline Ian_E

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 01 September, 2016 @ 22:32:58 »
I heard it was a protest thing, and they will close the road 2 days a week till Maik returns to the island !

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 02 September, 2016 @ 12:51:48 »
So it's turn right out of the hotel unless going to Poros on Tuesday's and Thursday then  :bun2:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 03 September, 2016 @ 14:26:03 »
I heard it was a protest thing, and they will close the road 2 days a week till Maik returns to the island !

Ian - I still reckon he's holed up somewhere on Kef!  :blink:

Tony

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, 04 September, 2016 @ 11:46:17 »
I was at the pen ultimate day of my stay a couple of weeks ago when they closed the road for the first time. It seemed to trickle down by rumour rather than posting signs. Sat in Dennis' coffee shop on the corner watching the chaos unfold. I was told the next day Friday my flight day the gorge would be closed from 08:30 / 18:30. Fine. I decided to say go back via Skala and get a bit early to say goodbye to friends staying at Santa Irina Hotel no roadblock so just waved and went for it hoping the road was not barriered further up. Straight through no problem. My friends later told me they managed to put the barriers up at 10:20 ! Good job they don't have a brewery !  All ways found it easier to organise my own ! Hey ho.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Monday, 12 September, 2016 @ 16:38:39 »
The road is still closed on certain days, but no one seems to know when! I got to Tzanata today and traffic was being turned back. You would think they could advise traffic when they enter the Poros road!
I was cycling, so they let me through and I managed to get this picture. This is the crane we use for lifting boats in and out and the truck is in very poor condition. Hopefully, he is saving some of the money he is earning, to buy a new one.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Monday, 12 September, 2016 @ 21:12:05 »
Cracking truck - lives near the bus station - years in it yet........

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, 13 September, 2016 @ 13:33:04 »
Great pic Roger - but not sure what the guys are doing!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, 13 September, 2016 @ 16:16:47 »
I was cycling, so they let me through

Hope you were wearing your crash helmet!

Great pic, Rog, thanks for that  :btu:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, 14 September, 2016 @ 13:04:58 »
Great pic Roger - but not sure what the guys are doing!

1. P*ssing off the owls and other birds that nest/roost up there!
2. Erecting 'netting' to catch rockfalls - or so I've heard. Might work if the rocks are fairly small and not allowed to accumulate to a great weight.