Author Topic: A Spectator's view  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
A Spectator's view
« on: Thursday, 09 June, 2016 @ 16:53:22 »
Two countries now exist: Tourist Greece and Real Greece

I couldn’t agree more with Lord Byron about the joys of the Greek islands. Here in Cephalonia, the poppies are out, back-lit by a strong spring sun. The swallows are swooping low across the villa, taking little sips from the swimming pool. The tavernas are gearing up for the summer season; the sea bass at lunch was freshly caught this morning.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/06/two-countries-now-exist-tourist-greece-real-greece/

Strange, but nearly all the Greeks I spoke with said they didn't want to remain in the euro  :hmm:

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
Re: A Spectator's view
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 10 June, 2016 @ 19:25:26 »
All the Greeks I speak to want theUK out of the EC so that they can follow suit.  They ar sick and tired of the EC and the ball and chain of the euro.

BTW, I assume the sea bass had been fished out of the fish farm.  Why do they write such junk!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 11 June, 2016 @ 01:55:07 »
Good old Harry Mount!  He can still turn a great phrase in the Specky and at least he does actually visit some of the places he writes about. 

In Ioannina three weeks back the centre of town was buzzing with not an empty shop to be seen and one Monday night you couldn't get a seat at a restaurant or bar at 2230.  It has a little tourism but fairly minimal by comparison with the islands and some of that is Greek tourism.  OK I didn't really see most of the town but driving through the 'burbs it didn't seem too bad.  Some graffiti in the old town but it's a student town - what do you expect?!

Agreed there are big differences between Kef and Athens.  What a surprise.  You might as well compare Torquay and Hartlepool.  There several more (at least) than two "countries" in Greece.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 21 June, 2016 @ 13:42:38 »
There several more (at least) than two "countries" in Greece.

Aye, it's not all Athens and austerity / beaches & booze - this might remind you of your recent adventure:

Peace in Greece a world away from the bars and beaches in the unspoiled Pindus mountains
http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/europe-short-haul/peace-greece-world-away-bars-8219453

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 22 June, 2016 @ 11:57:24 »
What a great article from the Mirror of all places.  The countryside is that amazing!  I didn't get to see the Vikos Gorge - I've saved that for another time!  I passed through Aristi and was tempted by a very attractive taverna but stopped by the river on the way to Mikro Papingo - not being aware there was "resort" in what is a pretty small village on the hillside.  Not sure I could afford their rates though - €170 per night!

Tony