Author Topic: AB is coming to Skala!  (Read 47527 times)

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
AB is coming to Skala!
« on: Friday, 16 October, 2015 @ 19:05:38 »
It is common knowledge to local Skala people that an AB supermarket is coming to Skala, not as you would have thought, on the way into Skala, near the garage maybe. Oh no, this large shop is to be built along the beach road, just past Villa Kosta and, in front of the four houses set back off the main road!! What a wonderful sight, watching/listening to the delivery lorries coming and going, belching out fumes while you quietly laze away your days on the beach or the nearby swimming pools. Certainly a large supermarket close to home would be very convenient during the winter months, when we have the time or inclination to cook and yes, sadly some of the local supermarkets would possibly be priced out of the market, but does it have to be along the beach road..?!

Apparently the land was purchased some years ago but rented back to the seller (father of the engineer due to build the supermarket...)to continue to farm and graze his goats,  but more than likely to let the dust settle from possible uprisings from local supermarkets.

Plastic rocks and now somebody with power and more money than sense is driving another nail in Skala's coffin. Rise up and support your local supermarkets and let's try and stop this hideous blot on our beautiful landscape.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
Re: AB is coming to Skala!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 16 October, 2015 @ 19:46:09 »
some people have got no sense. Don't they realise that if they drive all the tourists away with their balmy planning they will have no customers as I don't think the population in Winter in Skala will be enough to make a large supermarket survive. Thought the Solomos family would have vetoed that idea or are they part of the family? Anyway it's daft!!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 16 October, 2015 @ 20:37:51 »
It is common knowledge to local Skala people that an AB supermarket is coming to Skala

Could well be correct but some substantiation would be nice, lots of things are 'common knowledge' out here, doesn't mean they're all factual. Hence the Grapevine / News Briefs and/or Members' Messages for unconfirmed news.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if it's true, not sure if pedestrianising the high street was meant to cure it or kill it. Let's hope the 'new AB' has a nice big car park  ;)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 17 October, 2015 @ 21:43:55 »
Assuming the common knowledge is correct and assuming AB have done their homework, it might suggest all-inc hotels aren't going to be a big feature in Skala's future as AB would make little profit out of their guests. On the other hand, it could make Skala even more popular for villa bookings, perhaps even encouraging more development. Not sure how well it would perform during winter months though, whether there'd be enough business to keep it open and well stocked all year. Unless you live in Skala would it be worth driving there from the surrounding area for small savings on daily shopping items? Also, many people need to go to Argostoli during the winter for other reasons and Lidl will, I'm sure, be less expensive for the big shopping list. Be interesting to see how it goes.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Christmas on Kefalonia / AB is coming to Skala!
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 25 December, 2015 @ 21:42:29 »

Looks like the four villas just behind the field just behind the beach are going to lose their sea view
...we all knew it would happen sometime.

Could this be the AB supermarket that someone had speculated about recently?

Edit: split from 'Christmas on Kefalonia', piccie added
« Last Edit: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 17:11:38 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Christmas on Kefalonia / AB is coming to Skala!
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 25 December, 2015 @ 23:34:09 »
Looks like the four villas just behind the field just behind the beach are going to lose their sea view

Hmm, good question!

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
Re: Re: Christmas on Kefalonia / AB is coming to Skala!
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 26 December, 2015 @ 12:16:40 »

Hmm, good question!

Yes, it is.....!

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 26 December, 2015 @ 13:57:14 »
Brilliant! That'll be double points on a Wednesday thanks very much!

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 12:34:09 »

Could you elucidate, Roger?  I can't picture where the four villas are situated or where the supermarket is likely to be.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 13:06:19 »

Could you elucidate, Roger?  I can't picture where the four villas are situated or where the supermarket is likely to be.

Along the beach road from Skala, on the land just between Villa Costa apartments and a new bar, before you get to the 'plastic rocks' hotel. Can't believe the planners have allowed this to be built opposite the beach but then the money's being put up by Mr Moneybags, Mayor of Livathos, who part owns AB in Argostoli, a laundry, petrol station and the Apollo apartments on the outskirts of Skala to name a few! Need I say more....
« Last Edit: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 13:08:00 by jeanskala »

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 14:52:40 »
Lovely pictures ,could just imagine sitting on those seats on Poros front in the lovely SUN looking out to sea and the mountains across. Oh Well just a pipe dream!!At least at the moment  here it is sunny and warm but not for much longer next week looks terrible again. Lets hope the Spring and Summer are better? We might get snow in July though!!Shame about the new super market on the front. Bet the people in the villas are not well pleased? Typical of the Greek planning laws though, BRAIN DEAD comes to mind and one with a big wallet!!Just have to see how long before it goes bust like lots of other daft ideas in Skala in the past. Remember the posh restaurant up the ramp ,the round building that now has shops. Went once when it first opened as guests of Greek friends .Completely not Skala!!Was it called Olympia or something? Small is beautiful for Skala it doesn't want Vulgar out of place businesses. That's my moaning done for 2015.!!!All the best for 2016 folks and keep on posting those lovely pictures!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, 27 December, 2015 @ 18:19:17 »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.0798705,20.7997744,763a,20y,90h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Between Alexandra Villa and beach, you can zoom out to get bearings

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Monday, 28 December, 2015 @ 09:32:47 »
Thanks Jean and Maik.  My knowledge of Skala isn't great as we tend to go somewhere rather than wander about..

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 31 December, 2015 @ 16:57:21 »
So, what's happened to Steve and Alan?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Monday, 18 January, 2016 @ 11:13:17 »
Slightly off topic but may be of interest: From what I can make out, Lidl have effectively been given permission to expand the store near Argostoli from its present size of around 500 square metres to 2,500 sq.m. Seems the original application was blocked by the municipal council on the grounds it would adversely affect the life of the island, e.g. result in the closure of many other similar businesses, particularly small, local 'mini-markets'. Apparently Theophilos Mihalatos, a leading local politician with a financial interest in AB Vasilopoulos, declared his interest in the matter and took no part in the municipal decision. On appeal by Lidl to a higher authority the decision by Kefalonia municipality has been overturned.
« Last Edit: Monday, 18 January, 2016 @ 11:15:48 by Maik »

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Monday, 18 January, 2016 @ 15:35:44 »
That's fantastic news!
Does that mean that trolleys will soon be able to pass in the aisles and there will be more tills available to be closed? :rofl:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Monday, 18 January, 2016 @ 18:55:36 »
Only in theory. What it actually means is that the little Greek grannies will be able to shop slowly side-by-side. Also means you'll have to walk that bit further when they close the till just as it's your turn and send everyone, in no particular order, to the till furthest away.
 :)

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, 21 January, 2016 @ 12:03:15 »
I'm surprised that there are some reservations about the new supermarket.  Whenever I have complained about "improvements", particularly in Katelios, I have been told that I can't complain as it is all "progress"  Do I detect just the faintest whiff of nimbyism?

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, 21 January, 2016 @ 15:48:54 »
I dont' think so Ari.  If you knew the piece of land and it's proximity to villas and tavernas you would know just how inappropriate the position of the supermarket is!

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, 23 January, 2016 @ 11:24:16 »
Well, I am sure AB have drawn up a business plan including both Cost-Benefit  and Environmental Impact analyses.  Or not!

As I have said, I don't know Scala that well but from the photos and maps the position of the new supermarket doesn't seem to be the best choice.  Does Skala need a big supermarket? Are there enough over-wintering locals and expats to make it pay?

Like marmite there will be those that love it because they don't have to go far to stock up on booze and crisps and there will be others who hate it and will, wistfully, say "It was all trees around here when I was a lad".  Just as I do whenever I visit Katelios, which I still go back to despite the horrors that have descended on it over the last few years.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, 23 January, 2016 @ 11:48:57 »
"...Just as I do whenever I visit Katelios, which I still go back to despite the horrors that have descended on it over the last few years..."
..tattoos?

I'll get my coat. Taxi !!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, 27 January, 2016 @ 20:25:42 »
I've only just connected the dots (possibly) connecting "AB in Skala" and "Lidl's permission to expand"

Would seem sensible for a supermarket anywhere near Lidl to have an escape strategy......no?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:26:16 »
Sign on the site says "new commercial centre". Perhaps suggests it might not be a big AB supermarket , though could be AB occupy a unit. We'll see.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:38:04 »
Excellent Skala is getting an Industrial Park - just what it needs to attract the tourists  :btd:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:39:25 »
I suspect it will be more shop-type units, maybe another taverna / cafe bar  :dunno: