Author Topic: AB is coming to Skala!  (Read 47144 times)

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
Re: AB is coming to Skala!
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:44:54 »
 :hmm:

well I'm sure the Villas/homes its taking the views away from will be delighted with that option

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:49:10 »
Should have bought the land themselves then.....

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 16:56:57 »
Doubt the villa owners will be highly delighted but development of that land is probably no big surprise to most, I would think. Might be best if whatever's built gets occupied and used, the empty units by the Roman villa aren't a great attraction (IMO).

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 17:22:01 »
Hi-Fi -  Did they have the option?
Maik - I was being sarcastic (not like me at all)
 :iroll:

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 18:44:32 »
I would have thought that there were enough empty places without building more? Might be a nine day wonder like previous things have been!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 18:46:55 »
If the sign says business centre" in Greek (εμπόρικο κέντρο) that would be what we would call a shopping centre.

Tony

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 19:00:15 »
Yes, on the left of the sign it reads "νέο εμπορικό κέντρο" (or something very much like that), on the right it says "new commercial centre", so I suspect retail units - which could be more gift shops plus a taverna plus a small AB. Whatever.

If I have the time (and, er, interest) maybe I'll pop back for a longer look.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 20:05:45 »
Going by the sign, the project is being handled by Petersons.

The principals of our work are:

Balanced coexistence of modern architecture with the traditional architectural standards of Kefalonia

Combination of good aesthetic design with functionality

Optimum integration of the building into the green environment of the island
http://www.petersons.gr/en/projects/

So we can all rest easy, it will look lovely and blend in perfectly.

I'm wondering if there might be more info re the new shopping centre here: Tara Project - but it doesn't load for me.

Couple of other interesting finds:

http://www.kefalonia.property/area/skala-village/

Can't see that it clearly specifies which bit of land but suggests (to me) the big field centre left of pic
(and looks like one of the villas behind the new shopping centre might be for sale).

Might also be of interest: Petersons Village, Hionata

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, 09 March, 2016 @ 22:27:42 »
Will AB (Scala branch) be open on Sundays with extended operating hours. The British government has a right to know so it can be fully debated  in the house. As Rome burns !

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #34 on: Friday, 01 April, 2016 @ 06:21:54 »
Latest news on the grapevine: the first unit will be ready in time for the Greeks arriving in July and has already been let out to a McDonald's franchise.

Special offer for GGi readers: a FREE Greecy Big Mac and Coke poly glyko.

Offer limited to one per reader, voucher must be claimed before 12:00 local time today from Big Mak

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #35 on: Friday, 01 April, 2016 @ 07:20:55 »
 :rofl: Nearly got me
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #36 on: Friday, 01 April, 2016 @ 10:54:36 »
God wouldn't that be awful!

Nice try though Maik.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #37 on: Friday, 01 April, 2016 @ 18:16:06 »
Many a true word spoken in jest.........

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #38 on: Friday, 01 April, 2016 @ 22:49:07 »
The construction site today. Looks like building work will be going on through the summer, so a bit of interest for the tourists in between sunbathing.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, 02 April, 2016 @ 10:08:39 »

Can't see that it clearly specifies which bit of land but suggests (to me) the big field centre left of pic
(and looks like one of the villas behind the new shopping centre might be for sale).

Looking at the picture, it looks like the land owned to the right of the track by AB, by Captain Linardatos, owner of the big white house on the beach road, Natalie's and Pines Apartments. The new bar in the middle is owned by a relative who refused to sell his land to the Captain for a generous price!

The plot comes with planning permission for a 5-star hotel - a more up-market style 9 Muses, with multiple small low-impact apartments/villas with pools, restaurants, sports facilities, shop outlets (clothes, beauty & and hair). Unlike it's ugly neighbour 'plastic rocks', this hotel could be a class act. Having seen the plans, I really hope somebody will take the Captains dream and build his hotel, particularly knowing the dirty tricks that went on to try and stop/delay him...

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, 02 April, 2016 @ 19:41:00 »
I don't think the Regina Dell' Acqua looks too bad at all!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, 03 April, 2016 @ 19:02:58 »

Looking at the picture, it looks like the land owned to the right of the track by AB, by Captain Linardatos, owner of the big white house on the beach road, Natalie's and Pines Apartments. The new bar in the middle is owned by a relative who refused to sell his land to the Captain for a generous price!

The plot comes with planning permission for a 5-star hotel - a more up-market style 9 Muses, with multiple small low-impact apartments/villas with pools, restaurants, sports facilities, shop outlets (clothes, beauty & and hair). Unlike it's ugly neighbour 'plastic rocks', this hotel could be a class act. Having seen the plans, I really hope somebody will take the Captains dream and build his hotel, particularly knowing the dirty tricks that went on to try and stop/delay him...
Yes Jean I hope his dream may be fulfilled as we spoke with Fiona his wife on one of our first visits (1992)about this dream. The family were our reason to first come to Skala and we have remained in contact with his sister Kiki and her husband Panyiotis  all this time until this past year. As they are getting old and frail now and live in Athens in the winter we haven't heard from her and are fearing the worst .Its difficult as neither of us speak each others language but she would ring us at Christmas. That is why I asked about Kerry and Thomas' address as I know they are in touch with her. Perhaps you may know if she and Panyiotis are ok?The last time we saw Panagis Linadartos in 2013 he was looking very frail so has he decided to sell his land?We have some wonderful memories of times past spent at BBQ'S at  the beach house and sing songs and stories of the old days in old Skala .Stories of the wartime and the earthquake and how the family survived and worked hard to survive. Lovely memories of days gone by that we will always remember!!!Seems sadly that times are all changing and we are all getting older, but we will always treasure our memories of an older Kefalonia and the lovely people who made us so welcome.

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, 10 April, 2016 @ 20:02:33 »
Colleywobble, that is whats really sad for me.  The loss of so many old folk who knew the past, told the stories, kept the memories alive!

Skala, and indeed all of Kefalonia, will now just become another destination on an internet booking site.  The people that go for a holiday now will not have the chance to sit down and talk in sign language and broken English to so many interesting people who have had remarkable lives!

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, 10 April, 2016 @ 21:05:49 »
I think it's called progress Jed.

The "original" visitors may have died, or could be  too infirm, or could have switched to other places, or, heaven forbid, have got fed up!

No holiday resort can exist just on "Returnists", because their numbers inevitably decline. The resorts have to make themselves attractive to new visitors as well.

The trick is to strike a balance between the two.

Rather than regret the "progress" just enjoy your memories. If that proves difficult then Islands that are still like Kef used to be do still exist. For example,I know from your posts that you've had a stay on Ithaka.

Keeping Kefalonia as it was denies a reasonable living for the inhabitants, and I'm sure than isn't what you'd want.

Soapbox stowed away and head back below the baracade  :-)
« Last Edit: Sunday, 10 April, 2016 @ 21:12:16 by U4ea »

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, 10 April, 2016 @ 23:38:46 »
Yes, Jed, you returnists should not stand in the way of progress and change.  Why should a bunch of old fogeys want to get in the way of yet another Kavos or Malia or Faliraki or Laganas.  If you don't like what is happening to the island then for God's sake piss off somewhere else and let the progressives enjoy the sight of kids puking in the street.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #45 on: Monday, 11 April, 2016 @ 01:19:48 »
Ari, I'm a Returnist and proud to be. Be if we Returnists don't live long and keep returning in high volumes then the choice for the Islanders is simple, change or starve!

The change doesn't have to be as extreme as the ones you mention in your post, but sadly, for the locals to servive, there does need to be change. It can be change for the good or something else, and opinions will vary on which is which.

An option of course would be areversion to the historical agricultural and fishing based economy that existed before the Tourist era srarted. Mmm, that might be good for some of us visitors.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 @ 14:41:40 »
You and I may be Returnists now U4ea but there was a time when we weren't.  I guess we just sort of grew into it after a few visits.  So many of today's visitors may become like us if they find what they are looking for and that may not be exactly what we found but will be the chance to meet local people and not be swamped by "could be anywhere" mass tourism.  Although it has changed quite considerably in the 21 years we have been going, I don't think we will be seeing "Kateliraki" any time soon.  Some changes e.g. ATMs and Wifi are an improvement IMHO!

(Long time since we had this discussion on GGi!)

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, 13 April, 2016 @ 10:15:29 »
Yes, Tony, over the years we seem to have had exactly the same discussion several times.  I was about to launch into one of my rants about the ruination caused by tourism but I thought better of it.  Canute and waves came to mind.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, 13 April, 2016 @ 10:30:25 »
Aww, come on Ari, you know you wants to have that rant! Go for it.   :yahoo:

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, 13 April, 2016 @ 10:39:04 »
I was actually in shock for a short while that Ari deigned not to rant - are you feeling alright? 
 ;)