Author Topic: Longer season?  (Read 20744 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Longer season?
« on: Wednesday, 15 October, 2014 @ 11:30:27 »
The Institute of Tourism Research and Forecasts (ITEP) proposed in Tuesday a series of measures to lengthen the Greek tourism season.

Among ITEP’s proposals were local deals with tourism professionals coordinated by the Tourism Ministry, a reduction in third-party levies on hotel rates and tax exemptions to tourism businesses involved in season extension programs.

The ITEP report presented yesterday showed that the islands of the Ionian and the Southern Aegean, as well as Crete, have the shortest tourism season in the country.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite2_1_14/10/2014_543739

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Longer season?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 21:09:56 »
TUI to trial extended summer season for Greece

TUI Travel is hoping to trial an extended summer season to Greece for 2015 by starting to sell earlier departures.

The tour operator said that plans between the Greek Government and their Greek partners were still to be agreed.

Peter Long, chief executive of TUI Travel PLC... told the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras, that the company aimed for the growth in passenger numbers for 2015 to be similar to this year, which was 10%.

In return he asked for a greater link between local producers and hotels to help boost local economic spend and increase customer satisfaction and to encourage development in the smaller Greek islands.

He also called for improvements to the infrastructure for regional airports, roads, cruise ports and marinas and for Greece to invest in its people with modern tourism education.
http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2013750

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 07:22:44 »
I wonder if it's worth asking the Greek Orthodox Church to move Easter to the end of March each year.
That way Kef business owners will know the season has started as Easter seems to be their guide.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 11:02:37 »
Rarely any customers around until Easter, when many Greeks return to the island during the festival period. If TUI succeed in bringing more people in I'd think more businesses will be open to cater for them. This might be a bit optimistic:

Greece's biggest challenge in tourism for 2015 will be to extend the holiday season to twelve months a year and increase investments in the sector, the country's Tourism Minister Olga Kefalogianni said.
http://www.hri.org/news/greek/ana/2014/14-10-21.ana.html#24

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 11:11:25 »
The season always ran from 1/5 to 31/10, or thereabouts, unless Easter was late, ie end of April, when businesses opened early and stayed open.    I have taken holidays in Greece in April and had others at the end of October when the flight home was in early November.  The flights to and from where not empty.  The shortened season was the result of relatively decisions made by tour companies, particularly TUI and Thomas Cook. 

All this BS about negotiating lower rates is, of course, just another money making scheme.  And just another example of tour companies' telling the customer what he wants instead of finding out what he wants.

The season could run 12 months if the government and others thought beyond the standard sun, sea, sex and booze packages.  After all, when Byron toured Greece he waited until the summer was over because in those days only an idiot travelled through Greece in the summer.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 11:17:39 by Aristarches »

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 13:57:35 »
Spot on, Ari!!!  Indeed, Greece itself does an abominably bad job of promoting winter tourism within its borders - there are so many places (especially in north-western Greece) which are marvellous winter destinations.  We only need to look to Bulgaria's winter tourism scene to realise that Greece is missing out - Bulgaria is a prime ski destination for many from Britain and other northern European countries, but who'd associate skiing and other snow sports with Greece?  To quote just a few: Seli, Tria-Pende Pigadia, Kaimaktsalan...  A sadly missed opportunity.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 14:25:28 »
Good point, Bry. Existing facilities that could be more popular, with a bit of promotion.

The shortened season was the result of relatively decisions made by tour companies, particularly TUI and Thomas Cook.
Quite possibly, but it sounds a bit like the usual blame game conspiracy theories. If correct, was the decision due to lack of low season demand / could the tour companies make more profit elsewhere? They are businesses, after all, not dependency charities.

The season could run 12 months if the government and others thought beyond the standard sun, sea, sex and booze packages.  After all, when Byron toured Greece he waited until the summer was over because in those days only an idiot travelled through Greece in the summer.
Quite agree, high-season is hell - IMO. But take sun and sea out of the package and what's left? Sex and (cheap) booze can be big sellers but are they ideal for the Greek islands? Laganas, anyone? Can't think of anything else that wouldn't require large developments, doubt that would be too favourable with many here on GGi. Byron... these days he'd probably go to Thailand.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 17:44:56 »
Some sensible thoughts. But why would the "worker" (not the employer) work outside the 6 month "summer" when they can get the 6 month "winter" on benefit?

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 18:55:40 »
Some sensible thoughts. But why would the "worker" (not the employer) work outside the 6 month "summer" when they can get the 6 month "winter" on benefit?
I think that you should check your facts before posting such a reply!
Some workers are not so lucky!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 19:22:15 »
HiFi??? Frau Merkel, I presume? Or Herr Schäuble? Or someone who's chucked in their business / career to go seasonal strawberry picking while living on benefits the rest of year?

Anyway, a quick answer:

Permanent position, regular income (not to mention holiday and sick pay... er, maybe).

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 19:59:01 »
No just some of the workers I know here. Of course many of the "workers" I know here aren't actually "working". Trust me, I know my facts!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 22 October, 2014 @ 20:38:45 »
Given that there are rumours floating about re OAED payments this winter I'm sure that any verifiable facts you can provide about the Greek 'benefits' system would be of interest. Maybe you could start a new thread on that one?

As there's not a lot of all year round / winter employment available it's probably a good thing that some people are able and content to exist on seasonal employment.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 06:47:16 »
It goes without saying that I would not talk about members of my local community in respect of what they do and don't do - or do and don't claim, but totally agree Maik - the whole of Europe seems to be "reducing" / "changing" benefits.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 11:40:14 »
The shortened season was the result of relatively decisions made by tour companies, particularly TUI and Thomas Cook.
Quite possibly, but it sounds a bit like the usual blame game conspiracy theories. If correct, was the decision due to lack of low season demand / could the tour companies make more profit elsewhere? They are businesses, after all, not dependency charities.

Since there is a virtual oligopoly in the tourist industry in UK I stand by my original comments.

Quite agree, high-season is hell - IMO. But take sun and sea out of the package and what's left? Sex and (cheap) booze can be big sellers but are they ideal for the Greek islands? Laganas, anyone? Can't think of anything else that wouldn't require large developments, doubt that would be too favourable with many here on GGi. Byron... these days he'd probably go to Thailand.
[/quote]

Thailand would probably suit Byron with his proclivities.  Sun and sea are important. There are any seaside resorts in UK that shut up shop at the end od October and don't open again until Easter at the earliest.  This doesn't mean that areas like the Lake District, the Dales etc also close down. What we are talking about here is what Greece can do to extend it's season which would mean utilising the sort of facilities that Bryan mentioned not simply what the islands can do.  I am not suggesting turning the islands into some version of  Blackpool (God forbid) or one of the many eastern European cities that attract  hen and stag parties with the promise of cheap booze and cheaper sex.

I don't agree that large developments would be required.  Again taking the UK as an example, I have spent many holidays, usually out of season, in small villages which have little or no "tourist" development, staying in rooms at local pubs or in converted barns or cottages.  It probably is but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Greeks to provide something similar.

Any changes to the current model would not be popular with the vested interests controlling tourism in Greece which would maintain that there is no alternative to the way it has always been done and it is either their way or no way, 

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 12:53:58 »
No just some of the workers I know here. Of course many of the "workers" I know here aren't actually "working". Trust me, I know my facts!

The point I was trying to make, not all seasonal workers get benefits, you now have to have a proven work record (which has risen to 3 years?) perhaps you could give us some of the facts that you know?

Regarding the season, it has always struck me that the early arrivals of British and Dutch tourists are regarded as unimportant, the infrastructure is not in place to welcome them, beaches have not been cleaned, painting and tidying up local services ignored. The arrival of the mainland Greeks and Italians for the mad six weeks is considered far more important, then its all out to grab the pickings! 

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 14:12:19 »
Yeah, the Lakes / Dales / Kef / Greece can be lovely out of season and I'm sure e.g. Kef would be great for walkers and those looking for a quiet break - for example, there's accommodation, tavernas and bars open in Poros all year. However, if there is to be anything more than a dribble of tourists to Greece out of summer season there has to be something to attract them here in sufficient numbers to enable the tourist industry to function. Athens has a lot to offer but what's going to draw the crowds to the islands?

Down this end the (main) beaches are generally cleaned before the first package tourists arrive, sometimes twice if the waves dictate... then remain relatively sunbed free until mid June as this is when the contracts are put out to tender.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 17:06:35 »
Crikey - I was never suggesting that all seasonal workers get benefits - 1 million per cent agree with you.  However, had you been in the crazy OAED queue in Argostoli today, you would have seen those that do.......

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, 23 October, 2014 @ 19:01:57 »
I doubt if the tourists would be attracted to all the islands.  The point I was trying to make was that there is more to Greece than the islands and that Greece needs to give more attention to those other potential attractions.  I doubt if Kef would be a winter resort but it certainly could be a 1/5 to 31/10 resort.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #18 on: Friday, 24 October, 2014 @ 12:04:38 »
I doubt if Kef would be a winter resort but it certainly could be a 1/5 to 31/10 resort.

I don't think it could be - it shouldbe a six month season, like it always used to be but we are unfortunately governed by the tour operators. If only easyJet, Jet2 and Ryanair seriously reduced their fares either end of the season then more people would be encouraged to come out independently of the tour operators. That is, of course, the apartment and taverna owners can be bothered to open..

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Friday, 24 October, 2014 @ 12:38:41 »
I don't think it could be - it shouldbe a six month season, like it always used to be but we are unfortunately governed by the tour operators. If only easyJet, Jet2 and Ryanair seriously reduced their fares either end of the season then more people would be encouraged to come out independently of the tour operators. That is, of course, the apartment and taverna owners can be bothered to open..
I have to agree with the above, we checked a one way flight from Kef to Man, Thomson wanted £350 each! for October. Of course if you wait till the last minute it gets cheaper if you want to risk it.
We flew the crop sprayer to Athens, then Athens to Man all on one ticket with Aegean air for £100 each. That includes 3 kilos extra hand baggage each, and a free meal and drinks! We have flown Aegean before, they could teach Thomson how it should be done.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Friday, 24 October, 2014 @ 21:10:01 »
Still sniffing out flights to Athens for new year but up to now £208 with sleazy jet is best I can find. Aegean pop up at around £258 via Brussels ? Ever thought of setting up a little sideline Expat ! Must admit I kind of gave up a while ago trying to beat the airlines and now just get myself to Kef A to B and cough up for the er...privilege. Bugger.

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, 25 October, 2014 @ 13:24:42 »
Hi Bluenose.
It all depends where you fly from but, to give an example Manchester to Athens 14/Jan is £65, plus the crop sprayer or Ktel from Athens (lot longer now the sami/ Patra ferry is defunct!
There are normally a few early season bargains around if you can be flexible.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, 25 October, 2014 @ 15:51:52 »
Thanks for the tip expat will bear it in mind for next year's manoeuvres. Need to be in Athens for the 31 so this time it looks like sleazy jet. The extended season idea would I hope benefit those who earn their crust from it but also visitors who are tied to rigid timetables leave patterns,shift Rota,etc. Also it could encourage some to have more than one 'bite of the cherry' as it were. We shall see....

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Monday, 03 November, 2014 @ 16:40:35 »
Greece is to use its famous gods, heroes, myths and legends to promote the destination.

Minister of Tourism, Olga Kefalogianni, [said] "“And how many know that Mount Olympus is a real place where they can ski or hike or lots of other things?”

Investment is being pumped into integrated hotel and second home resorts and into promoting niche product and “secret Greece.”

Kefalogianni also revealed that many regional airports are being improved to accommodate more private jets, after demand outstripped capacity last year. Marinas are also to be improved to increase the yachting sector.

Activity on social media and the internet in general is also expected to increase. Kefalogianni said: “We aim to be more interactive and to have more personalised interactions.”
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/11/03/50973/wtm+2014+greece+draws+on+history+to+attract+year-round+visitors.html

Well, skiing gets a mention! Talking of the internet, by chance I came across (again?) truegreece.org - looks like it hasn't been updated since mid-2012 (so maybe the name is pretty apt).

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, 05 November, 2014 @ 11:18:42 »
Not the gods again!
Greece launches new tourism ‘communications strategy’

Hackneyed, corny and stodgy, Greece's 2015 tourism promotional video makes plenty of references to the physical remains of the country’s classical past but deals little with its present, save for a couple of rustic scenes.

The video is a far cry from the vibrancy of the New York Times’ recent guide on what to do in 36 hours in Athens, which understandably went viral because it seemed to have been written with attracting real tourists in mind: people who want good food, to know about what museums and sites to visit and to get a taste of contemporary Greek life.

If this video is the best that Greece’s tourism agency EOT can come up with, then it only serves to confirm journalist Pavlos Zafiropoulos’ recent point that this is a country of riches led by impoverished minds.
http://www.enetenglish.gr/?i=news.en.home&id=2085

Greece: a country of riches led by impoverished minds
From the insane drive to allow large corporations to extract oil and minerals from under Greece as quickly as possible, to the bone-headed move to open the country’s forests and coastline to Spanish-style large scale developments, to tourism policies firmly rooted in the 20th century, Greek government ministers are demonstrating that they are small-minded, frightened technocrats unfit to call themselves leaders. This country is rich but their short-sightedness, if allowed to continue, will lead to its true impoverishment.
http://www.thepressproject.net/article/66188/Greece-a-country-of-riches-led-by-impoverished-minds
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 05 November, 2014 @ 11:20:36 by Maik »