Author Topic: Ithaka, the new Monaco  (Read 20503 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Ithaka, the new Monaco
« on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 14:18:59 »
Australian investors who want to build a luxury resort on the southern shores of Ithaca have already put forward their plan and posted the models of the project on the company's website.

The ILIAD Resort, which is planned to be built in South Ithaca, will include villas, marinas with a possibility to accommodate cruise ships, luxurious houses for rent and many extra amenities for the popular and rich guests. The area now is completely unspoilt, but when the project is completed, it will look like a small "Monaco"!

Among other plans, it is scheduled to create a golf course, a marina to accommodate up to 200
yachts, a waterfront village and marina retail, six luxury residences and 1020 suites.
http://www.protothema.gr/news-in-english/article/372233/they-will-turn-ithaca-into-a-high-class-resort/

The ILIAD Resort is situated on 400 Hectares of Ocean front land on the mythical island of Ithaca, Greece, when complete it will be the largest master planned resort in the Greek Islands. The project has planned to include an 18- hole Greg Norman designed golf course, a 200 slip mega yacht marina, a waterfront village and marina retail, Six (6) luxury resorts, comprising 1020 resort suites and condominiums, and 150 golf course residences.

Setai Hotels and Resorts, Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, and Rotana Hotels have all agreed to manage, brand and operate individual hotels, villas and residences within the master plan, bringing their collective sleek design and 5 star management operations to this unique development.
http://www.interportfolio.com/iliad-resort-greece/

More pics in links above.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Ithaka, the new Monaco
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 15:50:27 »
Ithaca is a such a beautiful little island!

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Tony

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 16:47:54 »
Please God, Nooooooooooooooo!  :nein:

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 19:30:26 »
It looks like an upmarket KABC/KGV.

Heaven help us ...............

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 23 April, 2014 @ 19:48:40 »
Picture Three reminds me of the fictional island out of which Thunderbird 3 would launch into the sky...  I wonder if they have their very own Miss Penelope and "Nosey" Parker there?  :lol:

Offline suej

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 00:06:48 »
will ruin a tranquil island :rant: :rant:

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 09:33:45 »
This has to be a very late April fool joke!! They would never get the cobbles laid. Where would they find a builder? I guess with a lot of Palm greasing they might get permission but but but!!!!! Please please please can somebody finish Skala high street first.

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 10:46:06 »
As far as I can see, all this is a kite flying exercise by a group of doddery under employed desperate architects with some basic graphics that a sixth form student could have produced in break time! There is no evidence of any financial backing for the project which logistically would be a nightmare. This will never happen.

Offline Bell

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 14:44:44 »
As far as I can see, all this is a kite flying exercise by a group of doddery under employed desperate architects with some basic graphics that a sixth form student could have produced in break time! There is no evidence of any financial backing for the project which logistically would be a nightmare. This will never happen.
Please God it doesn't. Couldn't stomach another KGV. :rant: :rant:
Always look on the bright side of life.

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 16:31:25 »
If the rumour about tha Quatari Royal Family buying Ithaka is true, then believe me this will happen at some point.  Workforce, they bring their own wherever they build!

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 16:51:52 »
Not sure if the purchase by the Qatari royal family of several small islands near Ithaka has actually been finalised but I think there's no chance of Ithaki being sold.

The proposed development... that's a lot of property to sell individually, even worse than it being successfully completed would be a ghost town of un-sold units, or development being abandoned part way through  :(

Offline Bagheera

• Participant
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, 24 April, 2014 @ 19:56:30 »
How to destroy a beautiful island, why don't they build an artificial, only the idea is a shame :rant:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 25 April, 2014 @ 00:11:10 »
The only (possibly) good bit is that the architects' images are so unbelievably crap no client would be bothered to invest.  You might have thought they would have some decent software the fees they charge.

More to the point I'd be fairly sure none of those landscapes is actually on Ithaki.  Do those who know the island much better than me think they could be.  Or are they 100% computer generated?  :rant:

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 25 April, 2014 @ 01:10:47 »

More to the point I'd be fairly sure none of those landscapes is actually on Ithaki.  Do those who know the island much better than me think they could be.  Or are they 100% computer generated?  :rant:

Tony

I'm fairly certain the proposed development is on land adjoining the bays of Perapigadi and Kaminia (opposite Perapigadi island).

The topography looks roughly accurate. AFAIAA there is still no road access to any of the bays along there.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Friday, 25 April, 2014 @ 11:09:05 »
Reckon Phil's right, there's a little island just off the south east coast of Ithaka, looks like the one in the CGIs.

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 14 May, 2014 @ 23:58:39 »
Not Ithaka, but not far off:

The Emir of Qatar Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is planning a major tourism development project in Greece.

According to reports, following his purchase of the 1,236-acre uninhabited Ionian islet of Oxia for 5.6 million euros last year, the Qatari emir intends to transform it into a mega luxury resort under an investment budget of some 250 to 300 million euros.

The project entitled “Oxia Art Island” will make some 700 jobs available during the peak construction period and about 200-250 jobs to residents from the nearby area and from the islands of Ithaca and Kefalonia when the resort begins operation...  a variety of areas are being planned for construction such as villages with different types of architecture, hospitality and recreation areas, cultural sites and a coastal zone with marine installations.

More specifically, the project is said to include a five-star hotel, a boutique hotel, two villages, beach bungalows, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, a shopping zone, sports facilities, marinas and a heliport.
http://news.gtp.gr/2014/05/12/emir-of-qatar-to-turn-ionian-islet-in-greece-into-luxury-resort/

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, 15 May, 2014 @ 03:50:28 »
Saw this guy's yacht / cruiser moored off Poros last year. Quite a sight. Lots of photo's being taken from the square by locals and general bods alike. When it got dark and they flicked the switch to illuminate the boat ! Fantastic. A lump of rock that provides jobs and income for our friends can only be good.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 17 May, 2014 @ 23:53:33 »
At least this one is only on a lump of rock unlike Ithaki.  But near enough to Missalongi for Byron to be turning in his grave.   :blink:

Tony

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 18 May, 2014 @ 00:09:09 »
Your probably right there Tony. It's a shame they feel the need to let any Greek land go under the hammer but the way things are going I've got a feeling Oxia and the proposed Ithica project won't be the last !

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 18 May, 2014 @ 19:23:04 »
Allegedly the Emir is looking to buy maybe another 7-8 islands in the area.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, 18 May, 2014 @ 22:59:02 »
Allegedly the Emir is looking to buy maybe another 7-8 islands in the area.
Gorden Bennett never mind flip flops we'll all be runnin in round in curly slippers at this rate !