Author Topic: Temple of Apollo  (Read 18738 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Temple of Apollo
« on: Tuesday, 18 February, 2014 @ 22:04:08 »
I noticed that an archaeological excavation is in progress at the Temple of Apollo near Skala. Does anyone have any information about the dig?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Temple of Apollo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 18 February, 2014 @ 22:28:51 »
Been going on since last summer, don't know why (would have thought there were more significant places, even on Kef).

Vid clip posted on youtube by Ted Koutrokois, November, 2012. Site in its pre-excavation state and probably doesn't add anything to your knowledge.

Second vid clip posted by Ted Koutrokois January, 2014. Shows site during excavation, that's about it.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 20 February, 2014 @ 15:15:12 »
Doubt whether the moped or the digging machine belong to the archaic period, but if the dig is still on going, then I guess results will be published in due course.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 20 February, 2014 @ 16:03:57 »
Maybe Uncle Ted wants to sell his moped?

:hmm:

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 20 February, 2014 @ 18:47:13 »
We had a walk up there last October when they were digging. They were very keen for us not to venture near the site and were quite rude until we said we were regular visitors and had seen an earlier dig a few years ago. I don't know who funds them but after the last dig several years ago the site was just left to rack and ruin. I don't think they had a clue how to preserve the site properly. The next year they were doing a lot of road works and we were gobsmacked to see huge cable drums just all over the site and rubbish everywhere. I wish someone would do the job in a proper fashion. I reckon it's just an excuse for a jolly for someone. I remember though when they first exposed the villa mosaic floor  down in Skala, someone filled all the missing bits in with concrete. The chap who showed people round was quite proud of the effect! I must admit it is a bit better now .Perhaps they have so much antiquity they don't know what to do with it all?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 21 February, 2014 @ 01:14:36 »
Perhaps they have so much antiquity they don't know what to do with it all?
Reckon you're right there. That and not enough money to protect and preserve it all properly.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 22 February, 2014 @ 12:53:57 »
Talking of the Roman villa, Ted's popped a vid on youtube recently, concrete infills visible in a few places:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Temple of Apollo
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 20 November, 2014 @ 14:40:40 »
Excavation work on-going at the Temple of Apollo near Porto Skala Hotel:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 08 January, 2016 @ 01:19:03 »
Looks like work has finished, not sure if anything new was found but there's now a pathway (and fence) around the site:

er, maybe just me but, er, it looked more authentic when it was overgrown  :unsure:

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 08 January, 2016 @ 08:50:27 »
It begs the question, why put a path round unless they do not want people to walk over the site? In which case, they need to put up another fence, which would rather spoil it.
Significantly older than the Roman Villa in Skala of course and thought to be 6th century BC. I suspect one of the Greek Universities were involved in the excavation, so their conclusions would be interesting to hear.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 08 January, 2016 @ 17:01:22 »
Interesting Roger.If you hear anymore would be interested. Have a soft spot for this ruin as we used to go past every day when we were at Villa Christina .When they were doing any work we would often stop to talk to them. Last time we were out in Keffie it was Easter and we joined the walk to the chapel for celebrations. I was really surprised to see inside for the first time in all the years we had been to Skala and it was so beautifully decorated.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 08 January, 2016 @ 17:48:43 »
Visited the site year's ago and walked all round the area trying to make some sense of it but to the untrained eye it can be difficult to envisage the monument in all its former glory. Did my usual and touched the stones it gives me a kind of buzz which may be denied to folkes in years to come. Hopefully when the work is completed an info board with artists impressions and a brief history would be cool. We shall see. €50 for the moped by the way !