Author Topic: 07/07/17  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
07/07/17
« on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 02:57:03 »
A two year child from the UK fell overboard from the San (Sun) cruise boat off Aspron Vraxon beach (between Lassi - airport) yesterday. Immediately rescued by a crew member, the boat was taken to Platys Yialos beach from where a waiting ambulance took the child to Argostoli hospital. Later airlifted to Rio Hospital, Patras.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 07/07/17
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 03:01:48 »
Is it safe to reuse your water bottle?

When the weather's hot, it's important to carry a water bottle with you.

But is it hygienic to reuse your plastic water bottle? The BBC's Jan Bruck reports.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-40513613/is-it-safe-to-reuse-your-water-bottle

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 10:52:20 »

So, after watching the video in which a few nutters advise;

"always carry a bottle of water" - how on earth did those of us who grew up in less enlightened times make it through?!

"you're destroying the enviroment" - re-using a bottle sounds environmentally friendly to me

Bottom line is, and of course it's stating the bleedin' obvious, of course it's alright to re-use a plastic water bottle
« Last Edit: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 10:53:54 by TonyD »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 12:47:05 »
I filled 'em up from the spring or the tap, chilled 'em in the fridge. Never did me any harm.

:wacko:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 12:50:04 »
Nasty news emerging from neighbouring Zakynthos: seems a young American tourist got into a bar fight with a foreign national living on the island, got a nasty beating and was stabbed to death. Arrests made, police investigating further.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 13:25:36 »
Bit more news on that:

A US national was killed in a brawl in Laganas on the Ionian island of Zakynthos on Friday morning, reports said.

The incident began at around 3.15 a.m. when the 22-year-old had an altercation with a group of Serb nationals at a bar called Bar Code.

According to reports, the bar’s security guard – a British national of Serbian extraction –, the group of Serbians and a Greek barman chased the young American out to the street and began to beat him, leaving him unconscious.

He was rushed to a local hospital with severe head injuries but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Police have, so far, detained the security guard and two Greek staff members at the bar.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/219880/article/ekathimerini/news/american-tourist-dies-in-zakynthos-brawl

A 23-year-old American tourist was stabbed to death inside a Zakynthos bar in the early hours of Friday, according to local police.

According to witnesses, local police say the man was drinking with his friends in the Laganas area bar when all of a sudden he was assaulted by several men. The 23-year-old resisted and the fight was taken out on the street.

The victim was beaten in the head and stabbed repeatedly, falling dead on the spot, in front of his friends, witnesses told authorities.

Police have arrested one man, who is the manager and doorman of the bar, and taken seven others to custody as suspects for murder. It is not known if the man arrested was involved in the fatal assault.

The 23-year-old had arrived on the island of Zakynthos a few days ago for his summer vacation. As his friends told police officers, he had no dealings with anyone on the island and did not provoke anyone at the bar prior to the incident.
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2017/07/07/american-tourist-23-stabbed-to-death-in-zakynthos-bar/

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 14:04:09 »

When the weather's hot, it's important to carry a water bottle with you.

But is it hygienic to reuse your plastic water bottle? The BBC's Jan Bruck reports.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-40513613/is-it-safe-to-reuse-your-water-bottle

I have been doing so for years and I'm not dead yet, much as that fact upsets some people

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 14:48:36 »
British grandfather who broke his back on holiday in Greece is forced to lie in his own urine for FIVE DAYS because insurance firm won't pay for him to go home

*   Stephen Moss, 60, broke his back in three places in a horror fall in Rhodes
*   His wife Debbie has voiced her horror at conditions in the hospital
*   She said her friend had to change Stephen's catheter bag and the room has not been cleaned
*   The couple's insurance company has said he cannot return to the UK yet

Stephen Moss, 60, has been in hospital for more than two weeks after injuring himself in a fall.

His wife Debbie, 54, has voiced her horror at conditions in the cash-strapped country.

Such is the lack of care he has received, she said, that one of her friends has had to change Stephen's catheter bag.

She said the Greek medical system leaves all care, including cleaning and even hospital gowns, to the family.

'The conditions at the hospital are horrendous. They don't get their bed changed - he was left to sit in with wee for five days.

'My friend and I have had to give Stephen 24-hour care because no nurses help. There is no-one around and his catheter fell out the other night. My friend, who is luckily a carer, changed his catheter bag for him herself.

He's never been offered water and I've had to buy it him myself from shops nearby. When he was on another ward earlier last week, there was a Scottish man and a Russian man, both on their own, and I had to buy them water too.

'For the last two days, he's had some spaghetti but before that, for 13 days, he was only fed a chicken leg and soup for dinner and tea - but he couldn't even sit up to have it.

'I've had to bring him mackerel or tuna and sandwiches to make sure he has enough to eat.

'Apparently the cleaning and caring is left to the family in Greece'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4674366/British-grandfather-forced-lie-urine-FIVE-DAYS.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 18:01:59 »
Three Airlines, Two Operators Handling Bulk of Tourists to Greece
http://news.gtp.gr/2017/07/07/three-airlines-two-operators-handling-bulk-tourists-greece/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 20:12:50 »
Heard Kef's mayor, Alexandros Parisis, visited Skala earlier today and promised to rectify all serious issues soon in return for the councillors withdrawing their resignations. Sounds a slightly vague promise (to me), not heard whether the local council accepted or not.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 20:46:25 »
‘Glamping’ in Greece: Where to Go for Glamorous Camping
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2017/07/07/glamping-in-greece-where-to-go-for-glamorous-camping/

No mention of Katelios  :)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 21:00:47 »
A newly-built house with a bus shelter "smack-bang" in front of its door has been put up for sale.

Derbyshire County Council, which is responsible for the bus stop, said it had been in place for years but would be moved to a "suitable position".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-40529083

Well, the house is very convenient for local transport. And the bus shelter might make a nice porch.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 21:06:01 »
Bradley Lowery dies: Sunderland football mascot, six, loses cancer fight
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/07/bradley-lowery-dies-football-mascot-six-loses-cancer-fight/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 07 July, 2017 @ 22:51:57 »
Large blaze in southern Zakynthos has burned stable, animals

A large wildfire burning forest land near the village of Argasi in southern Zakynthos on Friday has caused serious damages to a stable and burned a number of domestic animals, while radio antennas in the area are malfunctioning, sources said.
http://www.amna.gr/en/article/169758/Large-blaze-in-southern-Zakynthos-has-burned-stable--animals-

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 08 July, 2017 @ 01:03:54 »
Three Airlines, Two Operators Handling Bulk of Tourists to Greece
http://news.gtp.gr/2017/07/07/three-airlines-two-operators-handling-bulk-tourists-greece/

And don't they charge you for the privilege!

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, 08 July, 2017 @ 01:06:55 »
‘Glamping’ in Greece: Where to Go for Glamorous Camping
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2017/07/07/glamping-in-greece-where-to-go-for-glamorous-camping/

No mention of Katelios  :)

I think you will find that someone who has something to do with turtles put a stop to the idea of a Glamping site behind Santa Barbara but I'm only a tourist so I wouldn't presume to know anything.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, 08 July, 2017 @ 01:53:05 »
Ari,

Is the lady in question still active? Her Environmental Centre on the Main Road looked derelict last year.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 08 July, 2017 @ 02:09:30 »
Last I heard, it was Roman remains that brought the glamping site to a halt. Never did find out if it was a full stop or a temporary reprieve while further investigations were carried out.

The environmental centre always looked a bit run down, maybe it looks more that way now?

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, 08 July, 2017 @ 13:00:17 »
Ari,

Is the lady in question still active? Her Environmental Centre on the Main Road looked derelict last year.

U4ea:  As Maik said, the centre has never looked in good condition.  The turtle watchers are still active.  When I was in Katelios a couple of weeks ago they had put up a series of displays on the track between the Alexis and Waves.  There were some rather disinterested youngsters looking grumpy (I think they were French) between about 5pm and 7pm but that was about it.  Usually the displays were blocked by parked cars.  The information was poor and a lot of people who were interested asked at the peiptero and Waves but neither had any idea about what the turtle watchers were doing.  Of course, it may have improved since I left Kef.

Maik:  I don't know what reason was given to stop the Glamping but whatever the official reason I doubt it had much to do with the real reason.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, 09 July, 2017 @ 08:48:47 »
As far as the Turtle Project is concerned, it is still active, but in a much reduced way. They have the right to monitor beaches locally including Katelios, Koroni and Mounda. The remainder of the island is covered by Wildlife Sense, who have around two hundred volunteers and is much more pro-active. The old school building in Katelios was taken back by the Dimos after various problems with the Katelios group. We recently had a problem with Adonis, our local turtle who has visited Katelios harbour for some years now. It is unlikely that the Katelios Group would have had the resources to get him to Argostoli for X-rays, so we enlisted the help of Wildlife Sense, who did a wonderful job. We know that he has two hooks inside him and the hope is that an operation can be avoided if the hooks can work their way through naturally.

The Glamping site seems to be on hold for the time being after a number of kilns from the Byzantine period were found close to the beach track. This may not be the reason for its' postponement though.