Author Topic: Greece on the BBC  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
Re: Greece on the BBC
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 01 February, 2016 @ 16:08:53 »
I've liked his previous programmes and love Greece, so watching it will be a no brainer.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 01 February, 2016 @ 19:02:52 »
Well spotted Maik  Definitely one for the recorder.   :btu:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 05 February, 2016 @ 15:01:42 »
Couple more articles promoting the programme, first on the Independent, second on Radio Times:

Greece with Simon Reeve: Symi, Crete, and a land of exotic extremes

Simon Reeve: “I could happily live in Greece"

I'll have to watch it just to see if Symi has changed much. Beautiful little island, my mate Shaukat was so impressed he named his daughter Symi.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 08 February, 2016 @ 17:57:29 »
Not a good advertisement for Greek tourism with the boat loads of migrants arriving, threats in Athens and gun slingers. Why did we need a woman's commentary on what we could clearly see was happening?    :btd:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 08 February, 2016 @ 18:29:27 »
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Simon Reeve's obviously very enthusiastic about Greece but it was kind of a 'really rough guide' to Greece - except we've all seen more disturbing images on the news.

The spirited shepherds... um, I've seen blokes in a pub in Preston (or Pontefract, or Potters Bar... ) getting more passionate - about football.

And the extra narration: total unnecessary.

:hmm:

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 02:56:20 »
For me it was to lightweight and a little juvenile. Definitely not in the Alistair Cooke bracket. ( if anyone remembers A Letter from America)Won't be watching the second slot.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 12:32:57 »
...if anyone remembers A Letter from America...

Yes indeed. They don't make them like that anymore. Are they still performing and recording, The Proclaimers?

Offline janey

• Participant
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 12:57:09 »
I enjoyed it. A look behind the tourist trade. It was never mean't to be holiday travel program!

Offline janey

• Participant
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 13:00:43 »
Not a good advertisement for Greek tourism with the boat loads of migrants arriving, threats in Athens and gun slingers. Why did we need a woman's commentary on what we could clearly see was happening?    :btd:

But these things a true, there are migrants, people do have guns, I know some and I'm sure you and other people do. As for the woman's commentary I didn't notice it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 13:02:29 by janey »

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 14:01:43 »
I really enjoyed the style and delivery of the first episode. Yes it was unsavoury and sad in parts. However it was reality. I agree with Jane. It was never meant to be a programme designed as a tourist enticer! It is Greece warts and all. I will definitely be watching the second episode.   

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 09 February, 2016 @ 14:45:10 »
I didn't expect a holiday / tourist type program it's just that the guy is a crap presenter with all the on screen presence of a spotty sixth former. If the program was done properly there would have been MORE unsavoury scenes as the difficult and on going situation that most Greeks find themselves in. Any soft sod can film a few beaches and churches for a travel show but if you tell people your program is 'about' Greece then do it right.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, 10 February, 2016 @ 12:38:04 »
I saw the programme and although it didn't provide any new information, at least not for anyone with even a slight interest in Greece, it was a "warts and all" presentation of what is a very troubled nation.  I don't see how it could have put hellenophiles off.  If any of the usual bunch of sentimentalists that view Greece as their "spiritual home" and a "paradise on Earth" had seen it I imagine they would have been nonplussed but as they have the mentality and attention span of a goldfish, who cares. 

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, 14 February, 2016 @ 17:46:30 »
I quite enjoyed it though it was obviously crossing all the possible genres mentioned here so possibly not pleasing everybody.  As Ari says it touched on many of the recent concerns about Greece familiar to those who know a bit more than just tourist Greece already - i.e. pretty much everybody here.  There were some cliches and stereotypes but I did secretly enjoy seeing the trigger happy Cretans shooting at everything but a bit more worried when it appeared that for some of them the war hadn't ended. 

The bit that that struck me most was the people scavenging the dump outside Athens and the very jumpy people (? anarchists) not happy with the filming.  It will be interesting to see what tonight's episode brings.  Looks like it will include Athos and some "Orthodoxy or Death" priests.

Tony