Author Topic: New Residence Permits  (Read 7030 times)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
New Residence Permits
« on: Thursday, 09 March, 2017 @ 12:44:09 »
All European member-states are obliged to introduce the electronic residence permit based on a regulation first passed in 2002 and then updated in 2008. The aim is to design a uniform residence permit for the EU. Several other countries, such as Germany which rolled out its residence cards in September 2011, have already completed the process.

According to the ministry’s circular, the cost of obtaining the residence permit will be 16 euros. Any foreigners living in Greece who already have residence permits will not have to update to the new format until their current documentation expires.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/216732/article/ekathimerini/news/new-residence-permits-to-be-issued-for-foreigners-living-in-greece

We do not have to update existing permits until they expire apparently, but permits issued in recent years do not have an expiry date!

Offline stevie

• Participant
    • Villa Margaret Rose
Re: New Residence Permits
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 09 March, 2017 @ 13:03:34 »
I Had a 5 year permit and when that expired I applied for it to be renewed and the renewal is permanent and does not expire, so i was told :pray:

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 09 March, 2017 @ 16:12:30 »
I Had a 5 year permit and when that expired I applied for it to be renewed and the renewal is permanent and does not expire, so i was told :pray:

Yes, I was told the same thing, that it was for life. If you look at the card, it has no expiry date.
I do wonder about all the people that have been resident here and have now moved back to UK. How many have thought about cancelling their residence permit?
« Last Edit: Thursday, 09 March, 2017 @ 16:14:47 by Jolly Roger »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 09 March, 2017 @ 18:00:54 »
Ta, Rog. This is an extract from the same article:

There are currently 557,476 third-country nationals living in Greece legally and, according to a circular issued by the Migration Policy Ministry on Wednesday, they will soon be able to apply for a meeting with authorities to go through the necessary process for obtaining their permits.

Within 30 days of receiving the application, Greek authorities will have to set a date for the meeting, during which their biometric data (user’s photo and fingerprints) will be recorded so it can be entered on the card’s electronic chip. The chip can also store electronic proof of identity and a qualified electronic signature.

The card will also show whether the holder has the right to work in Greece.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/216732/article/ekathimerini/news/new-residence-permits-to-be-issued-for-foreigners-living-in-greece

Been quite a while since we had a good discussion about res perms. What I'm not sure about is whether EU nationals are classed as foreigners. My memory suggests to me that EU nationals don't need a residence permit to live in Greece but do need a work permit if intending to work. Of course, post Brexit...

Er, does anyone think that within 30 days of receiving the application, Greek authorities will have set a date for the meeting (during the applicant's lifetime)?

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 10 March, 2017 @ 09:01:12 »
Been quite a while since we had a good discussion about res perms. What I'm not sure about is whether EU nationals are classed as foreigners. My memory suggests to me that EU nationals don't need a residence permit to live in Greece but do need a work permit if intending to work. Of course, post Brexit...

Even EU Nationals who are resident in Greece, are required to have a residence permit to purchase a car in Greece. Anyone intending to stay in Greece after the UK leaves the EU, might be wise to get a Residence Permit sooner rather later.
« Last Edit: Friday, 10 March, 2017 @ 13:43:25 by Jolly Roger »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 10 March, 2017 @ 16:11:48 »
Come to think of it, Rog, I think a res perm is necessary to get a sim card these days. As you say, any UK nationals intending to remain after Brexit might be best advised to apply for one of the new ones a.s.a.p. (subject to fingerprints being on any wanted lists!)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 08:41:54 »
Come to think of it, Rog, I think a res perm is necessary to get a sim card these days. As you say, any UK nationals intending to remain after Brexit might be best advised to apply for one of the new ones a.s.a.p. (subject to fingerprints being on any wanted lists!)

I havn't heard that a residence permit is required for a SIM card, a passport should suffice. I lost my phone recently and went to buy a new SIM. They gave me a new one, together with my existing number, credit and contacts! Wonderful.
However, this was for a replacement, rather than a new one.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 15:40:10 by Jolly Roger »

Offline Alan

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 09:32:39 »
How do you go about getting a registration certificate - do you just roll up at the police station? Not for permanent residence, just over 3 months.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 09:35:25 by Alan »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 14:05:52 »
a registration certificate

Never heard of one before, at least, not by that name. From gov.uk:

Registering with the Greek authorities

All EU nationals must apply for the new “Registration Certificate” (Veveosi Engrafis) after they have spent 3 months in Greece. It is obligatory. For more information on applying for a Registration Certificate or a Permanent Residence certificate in Greece, please click below:

Registration Certificate - Permanent Residence Requirements
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-greece

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 11 March, 2017 @ 14:55:05 »
a registration certificate

Never heard of one before, at least, not by that name. From gov.uk:

Registering with the Greek authorities

All EU nationals must apply for the new “Registration Certificate” (Veveosi Engrafis) after they have spent 3 months in Greece. It is obligatory. For more information on applying for a Registration Certificate or a Permanent Residence certificate in Greece, please click below:

Registration Certificate - Permanent Residence Requirements
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-greece

Well, it is the official document EU citizens need and is issued by the local police and (Brexit permitting) lasts forever (well, until you die!).  It looks like this (this is mine, with the "sensitive" details blacked out):