Author Topic: Walking Greece  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Walking Greece
« on: Thursday, 20 April, 2017 @ 17:09:31 »
How ‘Paths of Greece’ is Creating a Hiker’s Paradise, One Trail at a Time

Paths of Greece founder Phoebus Tsavaropoulos explains how the organization is opening up new trails, and a whole new way of discovering Greece.

Phoebus Tsaravopoulos is on a mission to bring back to life the beautiful, but often neglected, paths of provincial Greece which can attract revenue through hiking tourism. A member of the World Trails Network, the 32-year-old travels the country and together with a group of researchers undertakes the development of hiking paths, in order to demonstrate, he says, “that if a path is designed and marked properly, it is a solid investment for the area.”
http://www.greece-is.com/paths-greece-creating-hikers-paradise-one-trail-time/

Some footpaths on Kef: http://pathsofgreece.gr/?s=kefalonia&lang=en

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
Re: Walking Greece
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 01 May, 2017 @ 13:48:38 »
Shame they can't find the money to repair the trail between Pastra and Katelios, past the remains of 13 watermills. Two bridges were damaged by the 2007 fire and as much as we've moan and groaned to the Council, nothing has been done to re-open this walk. However, they have opened a lovely walk around Avithos Lake, near Agios Nikolaos - on the way to Sami.

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 01 May, 2017 @ 14:56:14 »
Does anyone know whether there is an organisation in existence on Kefalonia that could provide some basic powered equipment and co-ordinate volunteers?
Last Spring I spent some time clearing an ancient (guessing donkey path) from our Village towards the neighbouring Village; this was in support of a neighbour; A local elderly Greek Gentlemen who had started the work in 2015 and is particularly keen to preserve and open up these amazing thoroughfares.
Sadly, with very light hand tools I was unable to deal with some of the fallen branches and overgrown shrubs that blocked the route.
With some powered tools I am sure a co-ordinated Group could make a difference.

Offline Ian_E

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 01 May, 2017 @ 17:23:59 »
Med Man, I saw some pictures I think it was on facebook, of volunteers trying to open up a path up north recently, I expect it's the same group that did the other ones up there.

Does anyone know the group ?