Author Topic: Beyond ads  (Read 10882 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Beyond ads
« on: Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 @ 02:55:33 »
OK, I've had a skim read through Everything you need to know about bitcoin mining / Everything you wanted to know about bitcoin but were afraid to ask / Understanding Cryptocurrency: How It Works, What Drives It, Should You Buy It? and, while blockchains seem pretty nifty, I don't see what gives Bitcoin, etc, any legitimacy or value. IMO, the bubble will burst.

But WTF do I know?

Well, I know that it costs money to run a website and that the web is, in effect, powered by adverts. Some of which are malicious and some just annoying. Hence ad-blockers are very popular. So, some websites are now generating income by using visiting PCs to 'mine' Bitcoin-like cryptocurrency - unbeknown to the PC's user. This increases CPU load and can adversely affect PC performance. Your Browser Could Be Mining Cryptocurrency For a Stranger. And it doesn't stop when you close your browser: Websites use your CPU to mine cryptocurrency even when you close your browser.

uMatrix or NoScript should be effective in blocking the scripts from running but neither are overly easy to use. So far as I know, uBlock Origin and Adblock Plus block known sites such as CoinHive via filter lists. I'd think the main Hosts files also now block them. If you aren't using it already, Malwarebytes blocks CoinHive and is pretty easy to use, another easy option is No Coin for Firefox and Google Chrome or, for Microsoft browsers, there's Anti-WebMiner.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Beyond ads
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 05 December, 2017 @ 13:30:23 »
Having just read about Roger's terrible experience I think I'll be keeping as far away as possible from bitcoins, mined or otherwise and installing No coin.

Thanks Maik

:btu:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 06 December, 2017 @ 01:55:17 »
CryptoKitties craze slows down transactions on Ethereum

A new craze for virtual kittens is slowing down trade in one of the largest crypto-currencies.

CryptoKitties lets players buy and breed "crypto-pets" on Ethereum's underlying blockchain network.

An estimated $4.5m (£3.35m) has been spent on the cartoon cats at the time of writing, according to Crypto Kitty Sales.

What is a CryptoKitty?

Think of these rather unpalatable cartoon kittens as unique digital Pokemon cards. The game's developers describe them as "breedable Beanie Babies", each with its own unique 256-bit genome.

How much are CryptoKitties worth?

At the time of writing, the median, or mid-range, price of a CryptoKitty is approximately $23.06 (£17.19), according to Crypto Kitty Sales.

The game's top cat brought in $117,712.12 (£87,686.11) when it sold on Saturday, 2 December.

Where do the CryptoKitties come from?

Axiom Zen releases a new CryptoKitty every 15 minutes, but the rest of the supply is powered by the breeding of existing crypto-pets. Owners of kittens can put them up for sale and set their own price in ethers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42237162

:oki:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 06 December, 2017 @ 17:13:24 »
Better off with the real thing!

:cat:
Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 15 December, 2017 @ 13:48:02 »
From the Mail online yesterday (14/12/17):

Is your browser slower than normal? Hackers could be mining Bitcoin on your computer without you ever knowing, warn experts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5179179/Hackers-mining-bitcoin-computer.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 18 December, 2017 @ 14:57:15 »
A malware strain known as Loapi will damage phones if users don't remove it from their devices. Left to its own means, this modular threat will download a Monero cryptocurrency miner that will overheat and overwork the phone's components, which will make the battery bulge, deform the phone's cover, or even worse.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/android-malware-will-destroy-your-phone-no-ifs-and-buts-about-it/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 16 February, 2018 @ 12:19:09 »
Watch our ads or we’ll use your CPU for cryptomining

From this week, visitors to the Salon news site who are running an adblocker have been confronted with a blunt choice: turn off your adblocker or let the site use your browser to mine cryptocurrency instead.

You’re on the horns of a dilemma: turn on ads and be annoyed by in-your-face content you’re tired of (and goodness knows what else besides), or turn on cryptomining and be annoyed by hidden content that sends your CPU into thermal overload (and goodness knows what else besides).
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/02/14/watch-our-ads-or-well-use-your-cpu-for-cryptomining/

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 17 February, 2018 @ 02:48:04 »
I remember the .com hype; Avoided that like the plague and doing the same for Bitcoin.
I am not authorised (anymore) to give Financial Advice....
However; Those interested in a decent return for income might like to look at NS&I Guaranteed Income Bonds.
Quite a nice little earner over 3 years.
 :yiamas: