Author Topic: 'Free'* Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 102684 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 'Free'* Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, 16 May, 2015 @ 13:44:21 »
Extract from the latest news on the free upgrade:

I thought I would provide answers to some questions we’ve received regarding how this will work for Genuine vs. Non-Genuine Windows.

With Windows 10, we have extended an offer to our Genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Once a customer upgrades, they will continue to receive ongoing Windows innovation and security updates for free, for the supported lifetime of that device.

When we can’t verify that Windows is properly installed, licensed, and not tampered with, we create a desktop watermark to notify the user. If you ever encounter this watermark on a new machine, I encourage you to return the device immediately to the retailer from whom you purchased it and request a Genuine Windows device. Non-Genuine Windows has a high risk of malware, fraud, public exposure of your personal information, and a higher risk for poor performance or feature malfunctions. Non-Genuine Windows is not supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/15/genuine-windows-and-windows-10/

So, *looks* like users of pirated versions of Windows won't be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm still puzzled by "the supported lifetime of that device".

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #26 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 09:49:31 »
Any one else get this?

I turned on laptop this morning and noticed in the notification area (bottom right) here is a new item. Hover over it and it say 'Get Windows 10'.

Right click on it and it says

'Reserve your free upgrade'
 'Go to Windows Update'
' Get to Know Windows 10'

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #27 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 10:05:51 »
Any one else get this?

I turned on laptop this morning and noticed in the notification area (bottom right) here is a new item. Hover over it and it say 'Get Windows 10'.

Right click on it and it says

'Reserve your free upgrade'
 'Go to Windows Update'
' Get to Know Windows 10'

Just tried the "Get to Know Windows 10" option and get

"We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found"

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #28 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 13:24:55 »
Running on Linux so free of the Windows 10 promo stuff but, while reading about it online, I've found some links to the MS website which, when followed, came up with 'page not found'. Hey ho!

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #29 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 14:07:00 »
The windows 10 offer has just appeared on my windows 7, if I click it, it gives me the option to reserve win10 download, 3gig. cant check my win8.1 laptop until tomorrow, I would imagine its the same. I shall wait, rumours abound that Microsoft will charge for updates after a year, plus for some uses you have to use a Microsoft account, don't like the thought of that, bad enough google watching me, without Microsoft doing the same. I would imagine my tinfoil hat will block most attempts, we shall see.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #30 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 14:38:06 »
I was tinkering with the thought of trying the Windows 10 preview version but having to register for a MS account decided me Linux works OK for me.

We now have a release date:

Update: It's official: Windows 10 is coming on July 29 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users (for one year). Microsoft's latest OS will be available to pre-order in the coming weeks when it launches in 190 different markets around the world.
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

Available for pre-order at $149.99 for Professional, $109.99 for Home version (both OEM) on newegg.com.

Edit: How to block Windows 10 Upgrade notifications in earlier versions of Windows (at own risk)
« Last Edit: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 14:51:42 by Maik »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #31 on: Monday, 01 June, 2015 @ 19:37:22 »
They're closing on us!  Tinfoil might not be enough...  :blink:

Tony

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, 02 June, 2015 @ 11:47:53 »
XP still meeting my needs.

As I'll be heard saying to my dying day, just how much time do you spend using Windows, as opposed to the programs you've installed?

I might be tempted to download WinX though.
Just to see how well XP runs in a virtual machine.

Appy days ;-)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, 02 June, 2015 @ 14:57:31 »
As I'll be heard saying to my dying day, just how much time do you spend using Windows, as opposed to the programs you've installed?

Quite agree. If you can use gmail, Facebook and VLC Player on Windows you can use them just as easily on Linux. That said, Linux won't suit everyone so, before anyone rushes off to download the latest great freebie... Windows 10: what you need to know before you upgrade

Even if I was using Windows 8.1 I'd leave it a while before up(?)grading to Windows 10... just not totally certain it's 100% ready. JMO.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, 02 June, 2015 @ 15:07:42 »
Bit more before anyone makes the change:

Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10
Say goodbye to Windows Media Center and control over your updates

More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

Been quite a few problems with duff Windows Updates recently, taking away the option when/if to install them might not be universally popular.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #35 on: Monday, 29 June, 2015 @ 14:31:29 »
Windows 10 is due in one month: Will it be ready?
It's do-or-die for Microsoft's new operating system on 29 July
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/29/windows_10_is_due_in_one_month_will_it_be_ready/

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #36 on: Monday, 29 June, 2015 @ 15:18:39 »
I spoke last week to the guy who built my desktop PC. he's one of the beta testers for Windows 10 and is very impressed with it.

It's run every programme he's tried on it without having to mess around with downloading new drivers etc.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #37 on: Monday, 29 June, 2015 @ 16:45:59 »
"Every programme".... mmmmm ;-)

Can you ask him how it handles a 1983 copy of Supercalc with an Epson dot matrix printer and a 300 baud RS232 acoustic coupler?

Or the PSION database suite

Only kidding. But I'm not sure what problem Windows(10) is supposed to be addressing.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 @ 08:35:03 »
Windows 10 launch: Microsoft releases new operating system
Windows has started rolling out Windows 10 to customers around the world, but not everyone who has pre-registered will get the upgrade today
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/windows/11767674/Windows-10-launch-Microsoft-releases-new-operating-system.html

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, 29 July, 2015 @ 20:10:49 »
If anyone here tries it let us know!

:hmm:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #40 on: Friday, 31 July, 2015 @ 13:52:30 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, 01 August, 2015 @ 23:33:00 »
Windows 10 Is Spying On You: Here’s How To Stop It

Windows 10‘s privacy settings very much need to be frowned at. Essentially: unless you pay close attention to the fluffy options offered when you first install Microsoft’s new operating system, it’s going to quietly track your behaviour and use it to fire targeted ads at you, as well as keeping tabs on your location history, data from messages, calendars, contacts and God knows what else.

Importantly, you can opt out of what seems to be all this stuff (time will tell) either during installation or afterwards, though Microsoft swaddle it in a combination of dissembling “hey, this stuff’ll really help you get the information you want’ fluff and 45 pages of service agreement documents.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

Via

:hmm: Got a feeling I might pass on Windows 10

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, 02 August, 2015 @ 14:25:57 »
Extremely scary and potentially worse than Google.  Both articles are essential reading. 

:rant:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, 02 August, 2015 @ 21:27:12 »
Windows 10: You might be wise to wait before upgrading

Windows 10 was released this week, to much fanfare.

Some people love it, and say that it's a great upgrade to the operating system. Microsoft itself is trumpeting that more than 14 million computer users were running Windows 10 within 24 hours of its release.

But I think it might be wise for many computer users to wait before upgrading.
https://grahamcluley.com/2015/07/windows-10-wise-wait-upgrading/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, 06 August, 2015 @ 17:46:28 »
Windows 10 is free, but makes you pay to use its DVD player
Microsoft's official DVD player app costs £11.59 as software does not play DVDs as standard

Alternatively, one can use one of the several excellent free DVD players, such as VLC.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/windows/11787329/Windows-10-is-free-but-it-makes-you-pay-to-use-its-DVD-player.html

Windows 10: Microsoft charges $15 to watch DVDs on new operating system
But users probably don’t want to use the company’s app anyway

The newly-released operating system doesn’t let its users play DVDs out of the box. Instead, Microsoft recommends that they buy its official DVD player from the Windows app store, spending $15 or £11.59 to do so.

But many have warned that the app isn’t much good and that users should take advantage of the many free options that are at their disposal. VLC media player is the usual choice — as well as being free and offering the same DVD capabilities, it also offers many more playback options and will play almost every kind of video.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-microsoft-charges-15-to-watch-dvds-on-new-operating-system-10442460.html

Windows 10: Now you have to pay to play Solitaire
Gamers are not impressed after discovering that they now 'have to pay to be alone'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/11774939/Windows-10-Now-you-have-to-pay-to-play-Solitaire.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, 06 August, 2015 @ 18:14:13 »
Article on ghacks.net reckons some users will get the new DVD player f.o.c. but that it isn't as good as free alternatives such as VLC Player.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #46 on: Friday, 07 August, 2015 @ 12:51:07 »
Windows 10 wipes your child safety settings if you upgrade from 7 or 8

That means any existing age-related website controls, app and game restrictions, PC time limits, plus your ability to view recent activity, won’t work on Windows 10.

Adults must now create a completely new set of family settings through a long-winded procedure in Windows 10 that requires the child’s participation.

Microsoft had explained the new controls, here, but the details will be lost on many millions following Microsoft’s advice to run Windows 10 on existing PCs.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/05/windows_10_wipes_child_safety_settings_upgrade/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, 12 August, 2015 @ 10:31:17 »
One of the first major updates to Windows 10 has completely broken the computers of those who have installed it.

The update, codenamed KB3081424, is referred to as a “cumulative update” — intended to collect up a range of bug and security fixes and push them out in one go.

But for many users it is freezing their computers, forcing them into a loop that sees them try to restart, give up and shut off, before trying to reboot all over again. When the update fails to install, it tries to start all over again.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-microsoft-update-breaks-computers-and-forces-them-to-keep-rebooting-10449790.html

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #48 on: Friday, 21 August, 2015 @ 14:15:01 »
Some may choose to wait and hear what friends and family have to say about Windows 10 before taking the plunge. However, with the ongoing investment in this version of the platform from both Microsoft and the millions of Insiders who will continue to provide feedback after launch, Windows 10 may prove to be not only the last but also the best version of Windows.

All the features explored in this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/windows/11768202/Windows-10-preview.html

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #49 on: Friday, 21 August, 2015 @ 16:11:47 »
Thanks Roger.  This is obviously a much more positive view of what's on offer.

Tony