Author Topic: 17/01/20  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
17/01/20
« on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 02:24:18 »
Heard the Foivos Winery in Vouni / Mantzavinata, Paliki, was pretty much stripped of all its equipment sometime in late December / early January. This included some very heavy machinery, yet no-one locally noticed. A professional job, surely - and quite possibly tucked away somewhere on the island awaiting disposal. Owner is devastated.

Which reminds me... received a bottle of their Robola as a Christmas present, via corelliwines.com in Ilkley. When I get my sense of taste back...

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 17/01/20
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 02:26:49 »
What Can Greece Expect from Joe Biden?

Greece expects a lot from Joe Biden, President elect of the United States, based on the man’s previous stance on Greece and his once humorous comment that he is “Joe Bidenopoulos”.

There have been other occasions, too, when the 46th US President, as of Wednesday, has declared his respect and love for Greece, its long history and civilization.

In fact, at an annual White House reception celebrating Greek Independence Day as Vice President he declared himself an “honorary Greek.”

More importantly, Biden has stressed the importance of Greece as the cradle of the ideas of democracy and the democratic state that influenced deeply the forefathers of America.
https://greece.greekreporter.com/2021/01/16/what-can-greece-expect-from-joe-biden/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 02:34:41 »
Short BBC video report: Fighting for the Parthenon marbles

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 18:47:12 »
Appears most of the Skala pine trees have been chopped down! Some obviously had to go due to damage during the Ianos medicane but locals are indignant at the amount cut down. Municipality mayor has said the area will be replanted with trees but not clear what kind nor how long they will take to reach maturity. Could be a big shock to repeat visitors.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 18:49:43 »
Kef police have stopped and fined a number of car drivers who tried to visit snowy Aenos. Exercise needs to be taken locally (so no travelling seven miles to ride your bike  ;) )

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 21:37:13 »
Ultra-Orthodox rabbi tells followers Covid vaccine ‘can turn people gay’
LGBT+ rights group Havruta says it is ‘currently gearing up to welcome our impending new members’ after bizarre and factually inaccurate claim
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/covid-vaccine-rabbi-gay-b1788543.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 21:39:09 »
The entire Welsh village that's up for sale for the same price as a London flat
https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-01-17/the-entire-welsh-village-thats-up-for-sale-for-the-same-price-as-a-london-flat

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 17 January, 2021 @ 21:41:49 »
Plan for all adults to be offered Covid jab by September, says Dominic Raab
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-17/plan-for-all-adults-to-be-offered-covid-jab-by-september-says-dominic-raab

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 19 January, 2021 @ 18:58:16 »
Oh what a shame about the Pine trees.They were planted by Mrs Linadatos mother of Captain Pannagis Linadatos when they moved into the Pines after the village was relocated after the  earthquake.She was a lovely lady and made us very welcome.She died many years ago and would be so sad to see they have gone. Her daughter Kiki and husband Panniotis were our Dear friends. I don't know if they are still alive but lived in the white house next door to the Pines ,which belonged to the family. I guess the trees would have been almost at their lives end and become very dangerous so had to be felled but as you say were part of the village history. Many times i brought home the big cones to have in the house for Christmas.