Author Topic: Protect Ili Pika  (Read 9095 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Protect Ili Pika
« on: Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 @ 21:55:27 »

Thirty years after it was first discovered by chance on a geographical field trip, one of the world’s rarest and most adorable animals is now on the brink of extinction.

The Ili pika is a distinct and incredibly cute variety of the mouse-like creature that likely inspired the Pokemon Pikachu.

According to National Geographic, it leaves in a remote valley of the Tianshan Mountains in north-western China.

Just 29 live specimens have ever been sighted, scientists say, but while a 1990s estimate put its population at about 2,000 there are now feared to be less than half that number.

In 2008, the International Union for Conservation of Nature listed the little pika as endangered – but in China itself there is no official effort to preserve its numbers.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/ili-pika-extinction-fears-meet-the-tiny-chinese-mammal-thats-cuter-and-rarer-than-the-giant-panda-10133830.html

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Protect Ili Pika
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 26 March, 2015 @ 11:26:58 »
That picture had me checking the date....

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 26 March, 2015 @ 12:34:56 »
'Fraid I've rather lost track of time but a similar thought crossed my mind. Looks so cute it could be a cuddly toy. So I did a web search before posting! Not that I found much but Ili Pika does seem to exist... for now. Another piccie, not quite so cute, here.

Just discovered there's other pikas, not all quite so cute. Haven't had to time read all about it but looks like they live in isolated rocky areas in cold parts of Asia, Eastern Europe and North America. Many varieties under threat of extinction.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 26 March, 2015 @ 13:15:15 »
Aaaaaaah !!

:btu:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity

Offline acebinbabe

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 26 March, 2015 @ 15:30:52 »
These little chaps and chapesses are 100% cute, ALL of them, really want to give them all a cuddle!!!!   :luv: 
Thanks for posting this Maik  :)
Liz