Author Topic: Freediving Kef caves  (Read 5502 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Freediving Kef caves
« on: Tuesday, 14 June, 2016 @ 13:46:57 »
Freediving The Caves Of Kefalonia

Kefalonia, the largest of the Ionian Islands has typical Greek rocky coastline with crystal clear water – a perfect late summer freediving holiday destination. It also boasts 17 caves in one area 5 of which contain lakes, albeit with various degrees of accessibility or suitability for swimming.

Kiri and I dived several untouched beaches and were pleasantly surprised to find a few rare giant mussels, Pinna Nobilis, (found only in the Mediterranean Sea). It is one of the largest bivalves in the world, growing to 120cm long.

The water runs from Melissani lake and flows into the sea via an innocent looking pond, thriving with life in every direction. As we are not permitted to hang around within the pond (as it is a unique ecosystem), we swim through the lake to investigate a small crack in the surrounding rock.

The crack turns out to be the entrance to an amazing cave system. The first 2 chambers accessible to surface dwellers. “Fun” doesn’t begin to describe this dive. This dive was the single best phreatic dive either of us have done!
https://www.deeperblue.com/freediving-caves-kefalonia/

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
Re: Freediving Kef caves
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 14 June, 2016 @ 22:32:42 »
There's an error in the article where it says that diving is not allowed in Melissani.

Aquatic World regularly organise Scuba Dives to Melissani, I've done it twice with them, and they sometimes do the Caves at the back of Karavomylos Lake as well. I've done that one too.

The best part of Melissani is to go to the left from where the boats pick up and then into a submerged cave for about 30 metres. Turning around there give an incredible view of a turquoise shaft of light for the full depth of the Lake.

Karavomylos is stunning too.

Will try to dig out some photos.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 15 June, 2016 @ 16:32:31 »
I swam in the lake in '87 and found it to be a fantastic but extremely cold experience. The boatman carried on back to the dock and left me and the local copper from Poros bobbing about like two little ice cubes. Speaking of two little ice cubes it still shivers me timbers now thinking about it. I can only imagine what it must be like to actually dive there. Fantastic ,a special experience I'm sure. PADI holders only ?

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 15 June, 2016 @ 17:31:20 »
Bluenose we did the boat trip in Melissani on Sunday, and two people went into the water from anotger boat. They we're very cold getting out!

It needn't be PADI qualified, which I am, it could be any of the other organisations. It needs some level of diving experience to ensure you don't bump into the stalactities, or, more importantly, stir up the bottom as this would take a long time to clear and so spoil the view for those in boats.

Aquatic World, along with other dives centres on the Island will take non qualified people on their normal dives, but would expectthem to do a "try dive" first. This entails some basic theory, instruction on how to use tge equipment and then a descent to about 5 metres. It's the same procedure for qualified divers who haven't dived for more than 6 months.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 16 June, 2016 @ 09:39:16 »
Brill thanks U4ea. That's just gone on my to do list.