Author Topic: Special Consumption Tax on Wine to be scrapped  (Read 6153 times)

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
Special Consumption Tax on Wine to be scrapped
« on: Sunday, 27 August, 2017 @ 17:58:27 »
The government will scrap the special consumption tax on wine by end of the year, Minister for Rural Development, Vaggelis Apostolou, announced on Saturday. The measure not only did not meet revenue targets, it boosted illegal trade in wine and grapes.

Inaugurating the Wine Days of Nemea 2017 in one of wine producing regions of Greece, Apostolou said that the ministry is working on the legislation to scrap the special consumption tax on wine and it is expected to be ready before the end of the year.

“It is a commitment by prime minister Alexis Tsipras that the tax will not exist in the new year,” Apostolou stressed.
  :yahoo:

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2017/08/27/greece-wine-special-consumption-tax/

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Special Consumption Tax on Wine to be scrapped
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 27 August, 2017 @ 20:45:06 »
Just like ΕΝΦΙΑ. I am not holding my breath.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 04 October, 2018 @ 15:48:06 »
Just like ΕΝΦΙΑ. I am not holding my breath.

Probably best you didn't, Bryan!

2019 draft budget does not include wine tax, sources say

The government’s 2019 draft budget does not include revenues from a controversial excise tax on wine, which means the measure has been abolished, Kathimerini understands.

The special consumption tax has been in place since January 2016 and sees 0.15 euros added to the cost of a 750 ml bottle of wine or 0.20 euros to a 1-liter bottle.

Once the ruling has been published, the levy will be abolished automatically.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/233277/article/ekathimerini/news/2019-draft-budget-does-not-include-wine-tax-sources-say

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 11 December, 2018 @ 22:49:10 »
Amendment scrapping wine tax submitted to parliament

The Finance Ministry submitted to parliament on Tuesday an amendment abolishing an excise tax on wine as of 2019, in a move that was widely expected after the levy was reversed by a court earlier in the year.

The special consumption tax has been in place since January 2016 and sees 0.15 euros added to the cost of a 750 ml bottle of wine or 0.20 euros to a 1-liter bottle.

In early September 2018, the Council of State cancelled the tax, after it was challenged in court by the Greek Wine Federation, the National Interprofessional Organization of Vine and Wine of Greece (EDOAO), and other wine associations.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/235575/article/ekathimerini/news/amendment-scrapping-wine-tax-submitted-to-parliament