Author Topic: 06/03/21  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
06/03/21
« on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 02:19:07 »
EODY yesterday confirmed one new case of coronavirus on Kefalonia. No more details.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 06/03/21
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 02:23:43 »
People trying to leave England without travel form face £200 fine
Extra police patrolling ports and airports will have right to see three-page document from Monday

Travellers who turn up at an airport without a form stating the reason for their trip face fines of £200, the government has announced.

From Monday, anyone who is going abroad from England will need to complete and carry a declaration to travel document that can be obtained from the government’s website. The form can be printed or stored on a mobile phone.

Under current coronavirus lockdown rules, anyone who wants to travel internationally from England can do so only for limited reasons including work, education or medical grounds.

The three-page form requires those intending to take a trip to fill in their personal details and tick a box indicating their purpose of travelling outside the country.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/mar/05/people-trying-to-leave-england-without-travel-form-face-200-fine

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 02:28:55 »
Shock in India after man cuts off daughter’s head and takes it to police as he ‘disapproved of her relationship’

A man in the northern Uttar Pradesh state in India was spotted on Wednesday walking on the road carrying a severed head by the hair that was later found to be of his daughter, sending shock waves across the area.

The man, identified as Sarvesh Kumar, was found walking towards the local police station to inform them that he killed his teenage daughter because he disapproved of her relationship with a man, according to media reports.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/man-severed-head-daughter-india-up-b1812305.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 11:48:10 »
A masked man armed with a pistol on Tuesday evening attempted to rob an Argostoli periptero of its takings. Police yesterday arrested a local after a search of his home revealed two knives, one with a 35 cm blade and one 10 cm blade.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 21:04:51 »
TikTok Brit Complains Living in Greece Makes Her One Year Older

A British woman living in Greece shared her disappointment on TikTok saying that she is actually a year older than she previously thought.

User Suzie Young shared the chilling realization by saying: “Hi, I’m Suzie, I’m a Brit living in Greece and today I learned that I’m a year older in Greece than I am in the UK.

She continues: “When babies are born in Greece, they are classed immediately as being one year old.

“So, what we would normally class as being your first birthday is actually – like – you become two here."

In the comments of this video, some people have chimed in to say that not everyone in Greece does this.
https://greekreporter.com/2021/03/06/brit-complains-living-in-greece-makes-her-one-year-older/

I found it quite common on Kef: a baby born 01/01/21 would be said to be one year old, and so on.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 21:11:41 »
Another case of coronavirus on Kef confirmed earlier today by EODY. No further info.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 06 March, 2021 @ 21:18:58 »
Covid: People aged 56 and over can now book a coronavirus vaccine online

People aged 56 to 59 can now book their Covid-19 vaccine online.

The new age bracket is yet to be formally announced by the government – but the NHS website is welcoming people in this group to book a slot.

It comes after the rollout was extended to include those aged 60 to 63 on Monday.
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-03-06/covid-people-aged-56-and-over-can-now-book-a-coronavirus-vaccine-online

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 07 March, 2021 @ 07:50:36 »
TikTok Brit Complains Living in Greece Makes Her One Year Older

A British woman living in Greece shared her disappointment on TikTok saying that she is actually a year older than she previously thought.

User Suzie Young shared the chilling realization by saying: “Hi, I’m Suzie, I’m a Brit living in Greece and today I learned that I’m a year older in Greece than I am in the UK.

She continues: “When babies are born in Greece, they are classed immediately as being one year old.

“So, what we would normally class as being your first birthday is actually – like – you become two here."

In the comments of this video, some people have chimed in to say that not everyone in Greece does this.
https://greekreporter.com/2021/03/06/brit-complains-living-in-greece-makes-her-one-year-older/

I found it quite common on Kef: a baby born 01/01/21 would be said to be one year old, and so on.

Similarly, the notices on telegraph posts announcing a death, always quote the deceased age as a year older than we would have done.

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 07 March, 2021 @ 13:50:20 »
Is that because they live longer, Roger?

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 07 March, 2021 @ 18:34:56 »
I'm no mathematician, but does this mean everyone collects their pensions a year early?

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 07 March, 2021 @ 19:35:40 »
In Greece, they say "μπαίνει το μωρό στο πρώτο του έτος" ("the baby is entering his/her first year"), which is why there appears to be an added year to people's age.  I was born in May 1963 and therefore I will be 58 years old in May, but I will be entering my 59th year as of that birthday.  Therefore θα μπω στο 59ο μου έτος, or I will be entering my 59th year, which is how many Greeks see it.  For me, I am only as young as I feel (or, better, the woman I feel hehe).  Were that that were so!!!