Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 186864 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Skala main street
« on: Wednesday, 15 January, 2014 @ 20:09:29 »
Work underway on Skala main street:

which, according to word on the street, will result in this:

(Yes, TonyD, the 'vampire cat' is still in the picture :) )
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 15 January, 2014 @ 20:11:44 by Maik »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 15 January, 2014 @ 23:03:39 »
I stand connected on my previous post.  But I bet it was a bit noisy!  :iroll:   

I wonder how much it will look like the artist's impression.  Thanks for the pics Maik.  Be great if you could keep us informed.

Tony

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 11:39:47 »
Has someone shown them the picture 'cos they're digging up the wrong bit!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 11:45:53 »
Maybe they're waiting 'til the holiday season to start work on the busy bit of the main street  :dunno:

Offline pete.c

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 13:24:48 »
So if the pedestrian only area is starting at the top of the street, is that where the barrier is going to be from now on.?

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 20:03:16 »
I hadn't realised it is Groundhog Day already.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 16 January, 2014 @ 22:10:03 »
Looks like this grand transformation is going right up to the top of the main street. Have they thought about the chaos this will cause with parking, coaches and deliveries? If the side streets are blocked off to the main street, many are not wide enough to turn round and they will be full of parked cars.
Where has the money come from, when they are not able to finish Katelios harbour? Shouldn't an unfinished project take priority instead of starting another one?
Many questions!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 17 January, 2014 @ 18:03:42 »
Rog, I think this is the new tourist map on how to navigate through Skala once the main street has been pedestrianised:

Amazing!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Friday, 17 January, 2014 @ 18:11:36 »
Actually that's the floor plan of our local IKEA.   :btd:

But seriously - good questions from Roger.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 17 January, 2014 @ 18:33:00 »

Thanks, Tony, I was trying to blank this from my memory...
reminds me of the 'queue'  this lunchtime for the *one* open checkout at L*dl  :rant:

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 17 January, 2014 @ 22:36:03 »

But seriously - good questions from Roger.

Tony

Please, please don't mention that Swedish store just off the motorway between Liverpool and Manchester. Or the one near junction 9 on the M6. Both bring out suicidal tendencies in me. But the one saving grace for their stores is the meat balls and chips + unlimited free coffee top-ups. It is best to sit in the canteen whilst SWMBO fights her way through the *you must go this way* system.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 18 January, 2014 @ 17:05:03 »
Looks like this grand transformation is going right up to the top of the main street. Have they thought about the chaos this will cause with parking, coaches and deliveries? If the side streets are blocked off to the main street, many are not wide enough to turn round and they will be full of parked cars.
Where has the money come from, when they are not able to finish Katelios harbour? Shouldn't an unfinished project take priority instead of starting another one?
Many questions!

and another thing.....Next winter it will be dug up again to connect properties to the sewer main.

Offline munch

• Participant
    • www.k1kef.com
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 18 January, 2014 @ 20:52:37 »
Many questions!

and another thing.....Next winter it will be dug up again to connect properties to the sewer main.

I believe that the connection to the properties is been done at the same time. Its the same contractor who is doing the pipe work from Skala to Poros. Quite a bit  of work to be done in 16 weeks :dunno:
« Last Edit: Saturday, 18 January, 2014 @ 20:54:18 by munch »

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, 19 January, 2014 @ 16:58:32 »
Many questions!

I believe that the connection to the properties is been done at the same time. Its the same contractor who is doing the pipe work from Skala to Poros. Quite a bit  of work to be done in 16 weeks :dunno:

I understand that the residents are required to pay for the connections and many are refusing to do so (unless it is now being done for free). By the time this is sorted, it could be next winter.

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #14 on: Friday, 24 January, 2014 @ 13:42:23 »
Roger is correct, this is going to cause mayhem on the side streets with not just locals and tourist parking, but with delivery vehicles parking on the side streets and walking their goods to the bar/taverna/shop etc. I feel sorry for the businesses located on the side streets, even the main access road into the village which together with the road we (NERO) were located on and where Greekstones/Kaliva/Galera are, will now become official car parks. I'm glad to be well out of it.

I suspect the money has been found following pressure from the families who own businesses at the bottom of the high street. Veto/Mikelatos etc, always get what they want, but in my opinion the pedestrianisation will make little difference (besides cosmetic) to the income of the businesses due to the ever growing influence of the hotels on the beach road who will continue to keep their clients inhouse with their own entertainment, pools, restaurants and bars.

If it is finished by the start of the summer season....I will parade up and down the street in my leopard skin thong.  :lol:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Friday, 24 January, 2014 @ 17:10:35 »
And of course post a pic here APB!!  I'm not really sure what pedestrianising the top end of the road will offer, though perhaps the bottom will be a bit better - always seems to me the pavement is a bit narrow.  Perhaps the village could do with a car park somewhere lower down.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, 25 January, 2014 @ 03:00:25 »
If it is finished by the start of the summer season....I will parade up and down the street in my leopard skin thong.  :lol:

I think we're pretty safe there, Alan... but if it is finished on time, this is what we expect to see

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, 25 January, 2014 @ 14:42:39 »
Latest news I heard is that they will only do the 'top end' and save the lower part until next winter. Could be true, if they have realised it was a bit ambitious to do all of it in the time there is left.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, 26 January, 2014 @ 15:03:44 »
How will the dustbin lorry manage if the whole street is out of bounds to vehicles?. Also I think the businesses ie the tavernas will loose business if there is no added parking space for people coming in during the evening to eat .It will also make it difficult for less agile people to get to the high street if they have to park at the top of the village or below the Ramp. Ok coming down but not good when you have to walk up the hill. Speaking from experience! How will Etam car hire get their hire cars out if the high street is pedestrianized Maik ? Reckon it could turn very interesting with the tour buses when dropping off and folks have to walk to their accommodation more than a few feet!!I bet most of the locals have voted this as a good idea but once it starts to all go pear shaped and they are loosing a few bob they will soon start screaming! Just trying to visualise a coach coming round the 90deg bend by the viewing area and meeting one coming the other way!!!The coach drivers manage some brilliant manoeuvers in some of the places on Keffie but there is a limit. Its the same story as here every family seems to have at. : least 2 cars less parking space so they park all over the roads and our villages and roads were never built to have so much traffic .

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #19 on: Friday, 31 January, 2014 @ 20:19:29 »

I think we're pretty safe there, Alan... but if it is finished on time, this is what we expect to see

Might be a bit chilly Maik...by the way, is that Nigel from Mounda?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, 27 February, 2014 @ 16:31:45 »
 :dunno: Haven't been down to Mounda lately. No special reason, just haven't been down there...

Hope you haven't splashed out on your new cozzie just yet, Alan. Had a look at Skala main street a little earlier today and doesn't *look* to be a lot of progress from the pic above  :unsure:

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #21 on: Friday, 28 February, 2014 @ 08:37:25 »
Rumour has it that somebody has lost the block paving!! So those leopard skin thongs are looking even more likely. :rant:

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #22 on: Friday, 28 February, 2014 @ 12:14:23 »
Rumour also has it that the contractor has gone bust and that work has ground to a complete halt - sounds about right for over here?!

I wonder what the next rumour will be...  :dunno:

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #23 on: Friday, 28 February, 2014 @ 16:37:37 »
Well, is anyone surprised? I doubt it.

Will save the thong for when Greece (or England) win the World Cup.

:yahoo:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Friday, 28 February, 2014 @ 18:41:01 »
 :hmm: Could be a long wait... but then... OMG!