Author Topic: How green are you?  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
How green are you?
« on: Friday, 14 March, 2014 @ 17:09:05 »
I like trees but hugging them doesn't do anything for me (or them, I suspect). Nevertheless, I don't mind doing my bit to save the planet, especially if I can save a bit of money in the process.

So, I came across an article on Softpedia about a 'magical' clock powered by water. Here's what geekexchange.com  say:

No batteries, no plugs, this water powered clock is eco friendly and can run virtually forever.
http://www.geekexchange.com/geek-tech-the-bedol-water-clock-74381.html

And here's what thinkgeek.com say:

How does it work? Magic mostly. And a little bit of science too. The internal converter simply extracts electrons from water (or other liquid) molecules and provides a steady stream of electrical current acting as a fuel cell to generate power to the clock.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/757e/

Amazing what modern technology can do! Except it's not that modern. The clocks have been around for more than ten years (and haven't saved the planet), the technology is pretty old.

From what I can make out, the clocks aren't actually powered by water: the water simply corrodes one bit of metal and carries an electrical charge from that corroded metal to a different bit of metal, thus making a simple battery. But who cares about the details.

Point is, once that bit of metal is corroded in a couple of weeks / months / years, depending on the quality, the clock is useless. Like any new technology it may be improved and maybe, in a few years, it'll be possible to replace the corroded metal (probably at great cost, £ per lb.) but, until then, once the metal corrodes you're left with basically a useless lump of plastic fit only for the (recycling) bin.  Interesting novelty item but maybe not as green as the people who buy them?

Interesting article (and comments) on intelliot.com.
« Last Edit: Friday, 14 March, 2014 @ 17:11:16 by Maik »