Author Topic: Life's top 50 misconceptions  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Life's top 50 misconceptions
« on: Friday, 24 April, 2015 @ 03:30:18 »
EXPERTS have unveiled a list of life's top 50 misconceptions - including the mistaken belief coffee is made from beans and that Everest is the world's tallest mountain.

Many of the 'faux facts' date back generations and have become part of common folklore but are often based on rumour or the result of Chinese whispers.

But closer inspection reveals that commonly-held assumptions... are, in fact, wrong.
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Life-s-50-misconceptions-did-believe/story-26371944-detail/story.html

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Life's top 50 misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 24 April, 2015 @ 08:33:05 »
mmm...another common error is to mistake a shameless promotional piece of nonsense for something interesting

I'll ignore the obvious spelling mistakes ;-)

Everest "tallest"? I've never heard mountains being described as Tallest. It's always Highest.

25% of Brits believe blood is blue? Really? Who did they interview, the visitors to Ripley's Believe It Or Not?

"Different parts of your tongue detects different tastes
Believe It or Not: This was scientifically disproven by later research; all taste sensations come from all regions of the tongue, although different parts are more sensitive to certain tastes"
Er, but, er, that means, er - oh, what's the point!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 24 April, 2015 @ 13:41:18 »
mmm...another common error is to mistake a shameless promotional piece of nonsense for something interesting

Everest "tallest"? I've never heard mountains being described as Tallest. It's always Highest.

Just checked - no, it's not a newspaper travel article.

Come to think of it, don't think I've heard of 'the tallest mountain'. Which just goes to prove - and I'll only say this once  ;) - repetition doesn't make fact. Despite us not hearing about it, 'tallest mountain' makes sense, as recognised and explained on geology.com

Another tip for pub quizzers: check out the link above for Chimborazo  :blink:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 24 April, 2015 @ 13:57:12 »
Just maybe there's something on Ripley's website that'll be of interest to someone, click the pic: