Author Topic: Je Suis Charlie  (Read 4875 times)

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Je Suis Charlie
« on: Thursday, 08 January, 2015 @ 15:02:58 »
« Last Edit: Thursday, 08 January, 2015 @ 15:09:11 by TonyKath »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Je Suis Charlie
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 09 January, 2015 @ 17:26:51 »
Two major hostage operations are under way in France, as police cornered suspected members of the terror cell behind Wednesday’s massacre at the offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

The two brothers suspected of carrying out the magazine attack were surrounded by police inside a printing house in the small industrial town of Dammartin-en-Goele, north-east of Paris. One MP said they told negotiators they “want to die as martyrs”.

Hours later a man suspected of killing a young policewoman in Montrouge on Thursday – identified in a police alert as Amedy Coulibaly, 32 – launched an attack on a kosher supermarket in Paris.

The incident at Porte de Vincennes in eastern Paris is thought to involve at least five hostages, including women and children.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/09/hostages-taken-shootout-paris-supermarket-charlie-hebdo

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Je Suis Charlie
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 11 January, 2015 @ 20:42:37 »
A German newspaper that reprinted the Muhammad cartoons from the French satirical paper Charlie Hebdo has been the target of an arson attack.

Several stones and an incendiary device were thrown through the window of the archive of the regional tabloid daily, the Hamburger Morgenpost, early on Sunday morning. The paper had splashed three Charlie Hebdo cartoons on its front page after the Paris massacre, running the headline “This much freedom must be possible!”

“Rocks and then a burning object were thrown through the window,” a police spokesman told AFP. “Two rooms on lower floors were damaged but the fire was put out quickly.”

No one was hurt in the attack in the northern port city. Two people were detained and an investigation has begun, police said.

The police said it was too soon to say whether there was a connection between the attack and the newspaper’s publication of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/german-newspaper-muhammad-cartoons-firebombed-hamburger-morgenpost

Ahmed Merabet, the police officer gunned down in the Charlie Hebdo attack, was killed in an act of barbarity by “false Muslims” his brother said in a moving tribute on Saturday, where he also appealed for unity and tolerance.

Speaking for a group of relatives gathered in Paris, Malek Merabet said the terrorists who ignored his brother’s plea for mercy as he lay wounded on the street may have shared his Algerian roots, but had nothing else in common.

“My brother was Muslim and he was killed by two terrorists, by two false Muslims,” he said. “Islam is a religion of peace and love. As far as my brother’s death is concerned it was a waste. He was very proud of the name Ahmed Merabet, proud to represent the police and of defending the values of the Republic – liberty, equality, fraternity.”

Malek reminded France that the country faced a battle against extremism, not against its Muslim citizens. “I address myself now to all the racists, Islamophobes and antisemites. One must not confuse extremists with Muslims. Mad people have neither colour or religion,” he said.

“I want to make another point: don’t tar everybody with the same brush, don’t burn mosques – or synagogues. You are attacking people. It won’t bring our dead back and it won’t appease the families.”

As news spread that the gunned down policeman was a Muslim, the hashtag #JeSuisAhmed began spreading on Twitter in solidarity. One user, identified as @Aboujahjah, said: “I am not Charlie, I am Ahmed the dead cop. Charlie ridiculed my faith and culture and I died defending his right to do so.”
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/10/charlie-hebdo-policeman-murder-ahmed-merabet