Author Topic: Paddy's place  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Paddy's place
« on: Monday, 28 October, 2019 @ 19:40:34 »
Patrick Leigh Fermor’s Famed Greek Hideaway is Now a Luxury Rental
The travel writer, once compared to James Bond and Indiana Jones, made a seaside villa in the Mani region his home away from Britain.

The urge to seek out a hero’s home is undoubtedly stronger if it sits amid an olive grove above the Mediterranean Sea. The house in Kardamyli, Greece that belonged to travel writer Patrick “Paddy” Joan Leigh Fermor and his wife drew a bohemian crowd of artists and intellectuals from the 1970s through the early '90s. And now, for the first time in 10 years, it is opening its door once more.

The Fermors designed the rambling home, inspired in part by Patrick’s travels. In his early twenties he walked from the Netherlands to Istanbul, falling in love with a Romanian princess, and one of the rooms is modeled after one of his favorite rooms in her family’s castle, with a Turkish-style fireplace and sofa.

The home was where he penned his famous books on his escapades, such as Mani and Roumeli, earning him admirers who would describe Paddy as a mix of “Indiana Jones, James Bond, and Graham Greene.”
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a29390952/patrick-leigh-fermor-house-greece/

Looks rather nice in the pics!

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Paddy's place
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, 29 October, 2019 @ 20:51:23 »
I am a firm admirer of PLF and have visited his beautiful house in Kadamili. He was a great traveller and wrote many books about his travels. His greatest triumph however, as an army officer in Crete working with the resistance network, was to kidnap a German general. This was recreated for the film, 'Ill met by Moonlight.
« Last Edit: Sunday, 03 November, 2019 @ 10:23:17 by Jolly Roger »

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
Re: Paddy's place
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 02 November, 2019 @ 20:39:38 »
I am a firm admirer of PLF and have visited his beautiful house in Kadamili. He was a great traveller and wrote many books about his travels. His greatest triumph however, as an army officer in Crete working with the resistance network, was to kidnap a German general. This was recreated for the film, 'I'll Met by Moonlight.
Didn't know you'd been - lucky you! It's much bigger than I thought.  I checked June & July next year but there was no availability so I couldn't see the rental price! I recommend Drinks Time as a remarkable account of Paddy in his twillght years but also of the house.

Tony