Author Topic: Glamping Katelios  (Read 45586 times)

Offline pete.c

• Bronze Medalist
Glamping Katelios
« on: Thursday, 09 October, 2014 @ 15:26:17 »
Looks like they have started work for the cabins in Katelios.
Sorry about the exposure, took in a hurry.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Glamping Katelios
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 09 October, 2014 @ 15:44:58 »
Thanks, Pete - I drove past there (twice) today and didn't notice it!

Er, wos 'glamping'??

Offline Ian_E

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, 09 October, 2014 @ 17:36:02 »
Reminds me of the anti samos beach scene form CCM

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, 09 October, 2014 @ 19:28:50 »
Ah, glamorous camping. Not what the word suggests to me, but hey ho!

Pete's piccie inspired me to take a few snaps:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, 09 October, 2014 @ 19:32:46 »

Allegedly, one of what will be on the Katelios glamping site:

Who the **** is Alice?

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Friday, 10 October, 2014 @ 16:24:20 »
Is this for real or has someone been photo whatevering?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Friday, 10 October, 2014 @ 21:04:49 »
The story on the street, for anyone who hasn't heard it, is that the land behind the beach will become  a glamping (glamorous camping) site. Last I heard there hadn't been any successful bids for the lease but the piccies, which are quite genuine, certainly suggest otherwise.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Friday, 10 October, 2014 @ 23:00:35 »
Maik
Here's a thread my wife started on Facebook when we heard about the Glamping.

At least it's not another Hotel in Katelios.

Jan Davies 15 September at 14:14 · Skála, Greece

I've read somewhere on FB about possible changes to Trapezaki beach and surrounding area but not about what I've just heard talk of in Dreams Beach Bar in Katelios. I may of course, have just not seen it. They are saying that Panagis and Christine's lease is not going to be renewed because there are plans to erect log cabins on the land to the side and behind and make it a glamping site. Dreams' landlord therefore, it seems, wants to run the bar himself, seeing large € signs. This from Christine herself. Apparently (and of course this is just what someone said) the owner of the land died so it is owned by the government who have agreed to lease it on a 100yr lease for €20,000 a year. Rumour has it that it is the owner of The Apostolata who has leased it. First it was agreed that cabins could be built and then the government said that as they didn't own the land they couldn't build any permanent structures ..... So who knows where that leaves anything...... I just thought I'd share what I'd heard - some, all or none of which may or may not be true ... Don't shoot the messenger

Like · Comment · Share

Gerry Slawson, Denise Thomas and 7 others like this.

Tony Phillips heard all about it and its a disgrace. 15 September at 14:37 · Unlike ·

Sue Clarke There two weeks ago heard the same story about the eco cabins on. The beach an land defiantly pounds signs for someone . Disgusting. 15 September at 14:45 · Unlike ·

Karen Saffy Fry Log cabins? Hot, hot, hot! 15 September at 15:21 · Unlike ·

Nicola Harrison-Fudge No no no!! Would Take over and ruin the feel Of that part of the beach..and we love dreams )-: x 15 September at 16:57 · Unlike ·

Karen Saffy Fry Does this mean Dreams will close? Never yet tried it ... it was on my list for next year. 15 September at 17:39 · Like Krista Hartshorn Prince Disgusted!!! You cannot find a nicer couple than paganis and Christine and their food (especially Christine's cheesecakes) are to die for!! Maybe when we come over at the weekend I will chain myself to the bar in protest . . . . anyone care to join me??!! 15 September at 17:45 · Unlike ·

Jed Woodward It's all true. I was told two weeks ago. If you pass through Ratzakli at the turn off to Kaminia the us a prototype built on the corner. Looks quite good but the treatment of Christina and Panagis is disgraceful! 15 September at 19:19 · Unlike ·

Roger Steven Yes, more or less what I had heard. The land has an interesting history, but was basically held in trust for the 'good of the community'. 15 September at 19:36 · Like Sue Clarke I was told someone killed one of there dogs swell 15 September at 19:39 · Like Jed Woodward I do hope not Sue, Benji and Teddy are two of the nicest dogs I've ever met! 15 September at 19:41 · Edited · Like ·

Karen Saffy Fry What? What? I feel like Brian in the Magic Roundabout. So Dreams will close? 15 September at 20:04 · Like Jan Davies Presumably if they're not allowed to renew their lease Karen X 15 September at 20:09 · Like Krista Hartshorn Prince The dog that was killed was William who they had before the 2 they have now. He was shot by some polish people who had moved in to the village. They moved on after not paying their rent!! 15 September at 20:15 · Like Karen Saffy Fry No comment re. The Polish. Bad and good everywhere. 15 September at 20:28 · Like Jed Woodward The bloke from Apostilata has given Dreams to his daughter to run 15 September at 20:33 · Like Roger Steven Jed, not sure that is correct. Makis owns Dreams apartments and theTaverna. Angela already runs the Apartments and will manage the Taverna as well by the sound of it. 15 September at 21:38 · Like Roger Steven I just found the website. Worth a look! http://www.aionion.gr/en/the-bequest/

15 September at 21:44 · Like

Jed Woodward That's what Cristina told us Roger! 15 September at 22:19 · Like Roger Steven Makis and Lambrini were our ex landlords many years ago. They are the owners of Dreams. Their daughter Angela runs the Apartments. If that is true Jed, maybe they are leasing it to someone from Apostolata? 16 September at 06:31 · Like Tony Phillips So if the land was bequeathed to the island has anyone checked on the stipulations within the bequest. It is normal for restrictions to be implicated such as no building, for public use, nature reserve etc. I would be very surprised if there were no covenants of any description on the land. May be worth checking out as this time it's not only our dreams at risk. 16 September at 09:06 · Like Carol Maat I heard the same info by Christine last week, there is a covernant but who knows there are ways round everything if you have money.So sad to see Katelios changing, we have been staying there for twenty years. Very sad about Chistine and Panagis after all their hard work the place will not be the same. I for one will not be going there.! 16 September at 11:50 · Like Jed Woodward Apparently the only stipulation is that there must be no permanent buildings. Hence, the glamping portable cabins! 16 September at 14:17 · Like Carol Maat The man that killed sweet William was Albainian, they have a totaly different attitude to animals than the brits. 16 September at 15:17 · Like Cathy Alderson We're going to Dreams tomorrow, or Thursday and will find out. We LOVE Dreams! Never stay in Katelios, but always make the trip there because Dreams is just SO good. 16 September at 16:06 · Like Jan Davies This is it then Jed I guess? ... Looks ok, a bit plasticky - I suppose the wood must be treated, it looks and feels more like a resin. I guess if there had to be something there they're not bad but it's just so unfair on Christine & Panagis x

16 September at 17:57 · Edited · Like Jan Sauces

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 00:27:56 »
Yes, as usual the rumours and mis-information abound. I gave Rog the link to the English-language version of The Eternal Bequest of Dimitrakis Millas but, if you haven't already seen it, there looks to be a *bit* more info on the Greek version, here. Not sure it really fills in the blanks, though.

As has been said, probably better than another Utopia or Magnolia and, for all those who are best mates with the locals, they might actually welcome more visitors frequenting their tavernas, bars and shops. I hope cabins (as seems very likely to be) aren't laid out in a neat 'square' (/ rectangular) grid or they'll look like something the army has hastily erected as temporary accommodation for 'quake victims.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 10:23:54 »
The good points;

Cabins are not permanent structures, and as has already been said, they're not all inclusive hotels - so more trade for Katelios

The developer is going to provide a proper access road to the cabins, beach and a new car park

The Dreams restaurant/bar will be developed/updated, and the access road will make Dreams Apartments more accessible

With the exception of Panagi's and Christine's eviction, things could have been a lot worse I guess - hopefully they'll find an alternative premises. There's some constantly empty units in Katelios. How about siting a bar/restaurant on the far side of the new harbour?

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 10:29:25 »
I am not convinced because over the years I have heard all the talk, 99% of which turns out to be just that.  However, I agree that this sort of development could be good for the village if it brings in extra customers.  But there seems to be less and less interest in what the "swallows" who keep coming back to the same place year after year. Sooner or later swallows stop returning if their nesting sites change too much.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 12:52:54 »
I am not convinced because over the years I have heard all the talk, 99% of which turns out to be just that.

Yes, indeed. Some of what we've heard / read may well be true but, without links to reputable sources, it's difficult to know what's authorative and what's fantasy stated authoratively. On the other hand it's hard to imagine that such a prime piece of land won't be developed at some stage and, clearly, something is going on there. A glamping site (still can't come to terms with that sh*tty name) seems the most likely candidate.

Not sure that a "proper access road" to Dreams / the glamping site / beach will universally be seen as a good point. Sounds as though many regulars won't be frequenting Dreams bar in future anyway and a tarmac road will hardly add to the ambience of that lovely, natural area any more than a tarmac road added to the aura of Old Skala (though that one is reverting back to track).

There's an old 'shack' just above the entrance to the fishing shelter, I've always thought that might be a great location for a bar. Who knows?

As for the "swallows"... have a look at Poros: once the livliest resort on the island and many of the old crowd kept returning every summer - but many are now too old to travel or have passed away. Hm, there's a prime piece of land at the end of the beach... where the camper vans park...

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 16:59:49 »
A good point Maik,as a Poros 'swallow' for many years I have seen the demise of the village and any new developments that enhance the village and provide some form of revenue stream for the locals should be encouraged by all means. It is kind of a shame that things have to stop,change,or even disappear but old 'buzzards' like me have to adapt and roll with it I guess. Let's hope it pans out ok down Katelios way. On the other hand as we all know if there is the slightest chance of F....n things up our heroes will find it ! Fingers crossed.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 17:15:22 »
The bequest says very little about this but it is there posted on 05/06/14:

Ακίνητα Κληροδοτήματος (Ευάγγελος Αποστολάτος 2014-2020)

Ο Ευάγγελος Αγγέλου Αποστολάτος με το από 23.5.2014 μισθωτήριο έγγραφο είναι ο μισθωτής τμήματος (98597,53 τ.μ.) του παραθαλασσίου κτήματος του κληροδοτήματος στην τοποθεσία «Ελληνικά» στην περιοχή Αγίας Βαρβάρας Κατελειού του διαμερίσματος Ελειού – Πρόννων Κεφαλλονιάς. Η μίσθωση περιορισμένης διάρκειας 6 ετών λήγει το 2020 και το ετήσιο μίσθωμα ανέρχεται σε 20.000,00€ πλέον των υπολοίπων δεσμεύσεων που αναλαμβάνει με το μισθωτήριο ο κύριος Αποστολάτος για την αναβάθμιση του κτήματος. Το ακίνητο εκμισθώθηκε για τουριστική αξιοποίηση.

Η διαχειριστική επιτροπή

http://www.aionion.gr/2014/06/ακίνητα-κληροδοτήματος/

"Bequest Properties (Evangelos Apostolatos 2014-2020)

As a result of the tenancy document running from 23.5.2014 Evangelos Angelos Apostolatos is the tenant of a section (98597.53 sq m) of the beachside portion of the Bequest in the location of "Ellenika" in the area of St. Barbara in the district of Elios-Pronnoi.  The lease has a limited duration of of 6 years ending in 2020 and the annual rent is set at €20,000 plus additional commitments which Mr Apostolatos takes on to improve the site.  The property is leased for tourist use.

The Management Board"

Who he?

Agree it's quite a shame, depending on how big it is, really.  The Millas Bequest site is quite interesting and most of it is in English.

Tony
« Last Edit: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 17:19:33 by TonyKath »

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 17:46:23 »

"As for the "swallows"... have a look at Poros: once the livliest resort on the island and many of the old crowd kept returning every summer - but many are now too old to travel or have passed away. Hm, there's a prime piece of land at the end of the beach... where the camper vans park..."

I'm not getting any younger, Maik, but I  hope I have got a few years in me yet.  I hope I can find a new eave to nest in before too long.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, 12 October, 2014 @ 11:31:34 »
Well, yes, I hope you have a good few years left in you, Ari. If you're not around here to upset Maarm I'll probably have to  :iroll:

Just a suggestion: if you don't fancy nesting in a log cabin behind the beach in a lovely little fishing village... Poros, although visually very different, retains much of the 'gone-by Greece' charm.  ;)

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, 12 October, 2014 @ 14:52:28 »
Good idea, Maik.  When I am in Kef next June I will give a few places a once over.

BTW, I never realised I had upset Maarm.  I'm not bothered, of course, I just didn't realise.

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #17 on: Monday, 13 October, 2014 @ 00:17:55 »
Would be interested to know who has the "contract" to build these cabins....if they are up to the normal greek build standard then there will be plenty of firewood being washed up on the beaches of Kaminia and Mounda next winter. Cynical...but hey ho!

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #18 on: Monday, 13 October, 2014 @ 11:30:54 »
BTW, I never realised I had upset Maarm.  I'm not bothered, of course, I just didn't realise.

???

Have I missed out on being angry about something dammit?   :bat:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Monday, 13 October, 2014 @ 19:40:08 »
I'm sure it wasn't intentional, er, personal, Ari.

Anyway, just wait yer turn, Maarm, I'm sure there's someone I haven't upset lately.

plenty of firewood

Hm, reckon they'll be fitted with a sprinkler system?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 16:58:21 »
Piccies taken earlier this afternoon. Suggests Dreams will be surrounded by glamorous campers:

...either that or they've got damn big moles in Katelios.

Offline kef97

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 17:04:33 »
Heard from a fairly reliable local (if that's possible???)......
They are test pits being dug by the archaeological people to check for 'remains or artefacts' before anything can be done to the site

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 18:08:19 »
It's very organised for Kef isn't it, or do you reckon these holes will be as far as they get ?

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 19:06:57 »
It's very organised for Kef isn't it, or do you reckon these holes will be as far as they get ?

There is a "Roman" villa in that area that was excavated a some years ago.  It was covered over with the apparent intent to revisit at a later date, whatever that was supposed to mean.  I think I am right in saying that no building can be done until the site has been fully excavated otherwise the contractors can be heavily fined.

Of course, it all depends on how much is, or was, in the envelopes.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, 21 October, 2014 @ 19:52:21 »
I'd heard the site had to be examined, due to the Roman remains, prior to Dreams being built: nothing of archaeological significance found. Maybe that survey didn't cover the whole area now 'under plough', or maybe what I heard was a load of tosh (as it was word of mouth).

Be interesting to know, if this is an archaeological survey (yes, 'the locals' do sometimes get it right! - well, some of them, sometimes), if there's anything historical down there (or Lord Lucan, Shergar... ).