Author Topic: Weather warning  (Read 391404 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Weather warning
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, 21 February, 2018 @ 16:20:10 »
UK weather latest: Temperatures to fall below zero as Britain faces 'polar vortex'

The UK is set to be hit by a “polar vortex” which will see a freezing Arctic blast sending temperatures below zero.

A sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) will bring cold winds from Eastern Europe to the UK.

There are signs that the cold spell is likely to last well into next week with possibly even colder air from Russia moving across the UK.

There is only a low risk of snow because of the dry nature of the air, although this could change next week, forecasters said.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/weather-latest-temperatures-below-zero-cold-polar-vortex-a8220261.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #326 on: Friday, 23 February, 2018 @ 13:21:21 »
UK weather: Snow warnings as 'beast from the East' grips Britain and 'postpones' spring

Snow warnings have been issued for London and the south east as freezing air from Russia grips Britain in what is set to be the coldest late February in five years.

The cold blast - dubbed the "beast from the East" - will see temperatures plunge widely below zero from Sunday night, with lows of minus 8C (17.6F) expected for large parts of the UK.

A Met Office forecaster said spring has been "postponed for a couple of weeks" due to the chill arriving from the east just before March 1, which is the first day of the meteorological spring.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/23/uk-weather-snow-warning-london-south-east-beast-east-grips-britain/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, 24 February, 2018 @ 11:22:43 »
Siberian blast could make southern England colder than the Arctic
North Pole up to 22C warmer than usual, as cold weather and snow warnings issued in UK

Parts of south-east Engand could well end up colder than the North Pole this weekend, as forecasters predict that the Arctic could inch above freezing point during the polar night for the first time in recorded history.

The North Pole and northern Greenland have been 17-22C (30-40F) warmer than historical averages in recent days, adding to fears of rapid polar warming that has huge implications for global climate. The northernmost weather station in the world, Cape Morris Jesup in Greenland, was above freezing nearly all day on 20 February, according to the Danish Meteorological Institute.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/23/uk-faces-significant-snowfall-due-to-freezing-air-from-siberia

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, 25 February, 2018 @ 22:25:07 »
Prepare for seriously cold weather this week, Britons told
Icy blast prompts Met Office warnings for UK snow, with wind chill making it feel minus 15C in daytime

Parts of the UK are set to feel colder than areas in the Arctic circle this week as freezing Siberian air engulfs the British Isles, bringing blizzards, snow drifts and the potential for travel disruption.

The icy blast, “the beast from the east”, has prompted the Met Office to issue yellow and amber weather warnings for snow in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland for most of the week, with strong winds expected on Thursday in the south-west.

Snow showers along the east coast of England in the early hours of Monday will usher in a week of wintry weather, with the Met Office warning of delays on roads and trains and in the air across most of the UK. The alert warns there may be some power cuts and loss of mobile phone signal.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/25/prepare-for-seriously-cold-weather-this-week-britons-told-uk-snow

Check the forecast for your area at https://www.meteoalarm.eu/SI/0/0/UK-United%20Kingdom.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #329 on: Tuesday, 27 February, 2018 @ 11:12:49 »
UK weather: Heavy snow causes UK-wide disruption

Heavy snowfall is hitting parts of the UK, causing road and rail disruption.

Police say driving conditions are "treacherous" in places as a band of wintry weather and very low temperatures sweeps westwards.

Hundreds of trains are cancelled, many schools are closed and forecasters say some rural communities may be cut off.

Kent, Surrey, Suffolk and Sussex are among the worst-hit counties, seeing 5-10cm of snow, while north-east England has received up to 8cm (3in).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43207709

Warnings by area: http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/UK-United%20Kingdom.html

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #330 on: Tuesday, 27 February, 2018 @ 13:32:44 »
3" of snow, and the world's stopped spinning.
Roads closed, trains cancelled, schools closed, the weather given a Name...
"over to Carole" "yes, it continues to snow here" "meanwhile, we can see it's snowing on the cameras"
It's Winter! It's the UK! Somewhere in the UK in the Winter, it snows!! Every year.

Gordon Bennet, I remember being pulled to school on a sledge

snowflakes and their snowflakes, eh?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 @ 00:39:14 »
Gordon Bennet, I remember being pulled to school on a sledge

I remember being pulled to school. We woz so poor we couldn't afford a sledge.

No, we did have a sled. It looked a bit like this

Except the slats of wood were painted red. It was a special sled. It was non-slip. Honestly, you had more chance of sliding down a snowy hillside if you sat in the snow and raised your feet off the ground.

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 @ 12:13:51 »
Yes I remember it well!!Lads wore short trousers to school until they were about 15.No posh anoraks  or outdoor clothing just school gabardines that took weeks to dry if they got soaking wet. Everything drying round the fire on a clothes horse so the windows were running in condensation. Chilblains -remember them? Don't hear anyone suffering with those these days. My memories of sledges are mixed. Being pulled about five miles to the nearest tram stop  as a small child just after the war to go and visit my Grandparents-no local bus service. Secondly as a mad 12year old trying to keep up with the boys having a serious accident with a tree .I came off worse and nearly lost a leg!!However I have happy memories too of sitting on an old road sign at the age of 70 and sledging with the Grandkids down the farm fields. Numb bum but good fun!!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 @ 18:06:55 »
We never got sent home from school due to bad weather and many a time there was no heating as the coke for the boiler hadn't turned up. The only ones who didn't come to school were those who hadn't any shoes to wear. We had to take our old shoes to school for them. I had three brothers and there wasn't much shoe left when they had worn them !!!The others who didn't turn up were babysitting 'cos their Mum was working and Dad was in the nick!!We had just moved into a  new house in the winter of 1947 and coming home from school I walked past the house because there was so much snow I didn't recognise it. It was up to the upstairs windows on one side. God knows how we managed with no modern facilities ,but we did.  The kids look at us in amazement when we tell them what it was like. I think the worst thing they remember is the Winter of discontent when we had arranged power cuts for different areas. We even went to pick coal from a disused tip to keep our open fires going.  I used to make wedding flowers in those days and remember getting half way and all the lights went out. I had to finish them by the light of a Tilley Lamp All good fun and we are still here going strong non the worse for it!!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, 28 February, 2018 @ 21:26:59 »
UK weather: Sea freezes over at Isle of Wight harbour

Video footage shows the sea frozen over at Bembridge Harbour on the east coast of the Isle of Wight.

Temperatures on the island dipped to -6C (21F) overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday.

The Met Office has issued a number of warnings for more snow to hit the south of England over the coming days.

Footage courtesy Island Echo.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-43227899/uk-weather-sea-freezes-over-at-isle-of-wight-harbour

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #335 on: Thursday, 01 March, 2018 @ 11:22:22 »

http://meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/UK-United%20Kingdom.html

Warnings for local areas available via link

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, 01 March, 2018 @ 11:33:06 »
Red warning for blizzards South West England
The Met Office has issued another rare red extreme weather warning, this time for snow and wind for South West England from 3pm on Thursday.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/mar/01/storm-emma-beast-from-the-east-snow-uk-live

UK is running out of gas, National Grid warns
Perfect storm of freezing weather and supply problems prompts rare call for more fuel immediately

National Grid has issued a warning that the UK will not have enough gas to meet demand on Thursday, as temperatures plummeted and imports were hit by outages.

It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but if enough extra gas supplies by pipeline or ship are not forthcoming, it could affect industrial users.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/01/uk-is-running-out-of-gas-national-grid-warns-freezing-weather

Paddington station closed
Severe weather has closed Paddington station, London’s main rail hub to the west country and Wales.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/mar/01/storm-emma-beast-from-the-east-snow-uk-live

Latest updates

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, 01 March, 2018 @ 16:37:11 »
By 'eck Colley, them were the days! (A little before my time!) I remember being sent home early in the winter of ?62. The trains were cancelled and we had to walk to the in between town to get a bus.

Meanwhile in 2018... The next door neighbour had a top of the range Worcester CH boiler fitted last autumn ready for the winter. It packed up yesterday as it's a new style condensing boiler and the condensate  has frozen in the outlet pipe, it's so cold. If you're lucky  the boiler cuts out, otherwise it gets seriously knackered. Last saw the neighbour up a ladder trying to pour water out of a kettle to defrost the pipe.

:oki:

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #338 on: Thursday, 01 March, 2018 @ 17:06:18 »
Yes these new boilers are stupid .We had one fitted a few years back and British gas told us about the problem if it happened in a v cold Winter, said it would cost £140 quid to call them out as  our Homecare Policy didn't cover it!!!Typical!!!Told us to pour a kettle of hot water on the pipe that freezes up and it would sort it. This sounded a bit iffy so Hubby got some pipe lagging(the foam type)split it and covered all the pipe from the house that ran outside Touch wood it has been ok up to now(watch this space,just my luck for something to happen)We were told that this outside drain is totally unnecessary and that you can disconnect it inside and let it drain into a plastic box???!!!Another daft design fault. At the time we had ours fitted BBC Radio Sheffield  were inundated with calls about this problem. Our next door neighbour had the same problem.By all accounts all this type of boiler have the same fault no matter which brand. Would think someone could come up with a more satisfactory solution.!!!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #339 on: Friday, 02 March, 2018 @ 15:58:09 »
Well Tony I should have kept my mouth shut. Not 2hrs after posting the above  our boiler started to make a strange noise and the light started to flash on and off. You wouldn't believe it but when hubby went outside he eventually found the pipe had frozen up in spite of all the lagging round it. We had to disconnect it all even having to break it open in places as it was so brittle it wouldn't come apart. It was almost full of ice. Had to make temporary repair to last until we can get the car out(18inches of snow at the moment)and visit the DIY store for replacements. It is packed round with lagging and bubble wrap. It faces due east so not surprised .Just shows how cold it has been. Couldn't have made that episode up!!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #340 on: Friday, 02 March, 2018 @ 16:51:01 »
The subject of condensing boilers has just been been on our local news. Apparently its affecting LOADS of people and some are asking, "which ----ing genius designed a boiler that won't work in freezing cold weather?"

Advice was to defrost with warm (not boiling) water and then lag the pipe, wrap the lagging in plastic sheeting. Makes me wonder... as it's a known problem, why aren't the pipes sufficiently protected during installation? 

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #341 on: Friday, 02 March, 2018 @ 17:22:52 »
UK weather: Blizzards, floods and now freezing rain that could prove deadly as Storm Emma bites 

Freezing rain could pose the next deadly threat of Storm Emma, the Met Office has warned, because it is creating invisible sheet ice that is impervious to gritting.

Although in some parts of the country it may look like the snowfall is over, and the sight of rain may cause relief, it is highly likely any rainfall will be freezing rain and will result in dangerous road conditions.

The Met Office has warned of treacherous conditions caused by freezing rain which creates invisible sheet ice. This weather is hitting all parts of the UK and can cause deadly conditions on the road.

Some of the communities which were worst-hit by the snow are due to be battered by floods, as strong waves are already breaking coastal defences and sea walls. Gale force 9 winds and 20-foot high waves have been predicted by the Environment Agency.

Parts of England and the whole of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, have been advised not to travel unless it is absolutely urgent because of risks to life caused by the weather.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/02/uk-weather-military-helps-stranded-motorists-storm-emma-collides/

West Yorkshire house with no snow on roof leads police to huge cannabis farm find

Police have unearthed a sizeable cannabis farm at a house - because it was the only property without SNOW on its roof.

PC James Butterfield... speculated the haul could be valued at up to £80k.
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-house-with-no-snow-on-roof-leads-police-to-huge-cannabis-farm-find-1-9044249

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #342 on: Friday, 02 March, 2018 @ 18:42:09 »
Just had a phone call to say that our caravan site, ..near Pickering would be delaying opening from next Monday until we are contacted. The road is about 3ft deep in drifting snow. Bit disappointed(I don't think!!)Know one of the caravaners will be he is there come rain or shine. Think he must have a rotten home life or something. He wont want to miss his Sunday Roast in Scarborough. He told us he has even had a new set of false teeth made so he can enjoy it more.  God it takes allsorts??!!! :hmm:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #343 on: Monday, 05 March, 2018 @ 13:47:38 »
The subject of condensing boilers has just been been on our local news. Apparently its affecting LOADS of people and some are asking, "which ----ing genius designed a boiler that won't work in freezing cold weather?"

Advice was to defrost with warm (not boiling) water and then lag the pipe, wrap the lagging in plastic sheeting. Makes me wonder... as it's a known problem, why aren't the pipes sufficiently protected during installation? 

Our old boiler needs replacing so have been looking into it - the problem, not the boiler.  Apparently condensing boilers came out in in 2005 - great idea, fuel efficient and save loadsa dosh on gas, oodles of them sold.  Don't think you can buy any other type now.  Manufacturers happy, customers happy...  until the winter of 2010 - I remember it being -12 at midday.  Condensing boilers conking out left right and centre.  The manufacturers said they had no idea this would happen, global warming, better winters etc.

"Solutions" =

Lag outlet pipe conventionally - see Colleywobble above.  (BTW sorry to hear how you got caught with this)
    Have special condensate internally lagged pipe fitted.  Presumably if it still freezes up the kettle of hot water doesn't work!
    Have special electrically heated condensate pipe fitted - someone said about £250.  Thermostatically controlled so apparently relatively low running cost.
    Move to Caribbean.

Tony

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #344 on: Monday, 05 March, 2018 @ 15:14:04 »
Think i'll go for the Caribbean idea! Our neighbour had to go away ,a family emergency and was away longer than anticipated .Came home and though heating had been on his bathroom waste and wc had all frozen up. His boiler is in the Bathroom so the condensing pipe was plumbed into the sink waste pipe as a result that was frozen up. We live in a bungalow so ours goes out through the wall into a drain and soak away. Why the British Gas engineers couldn't have plumbed ours into the waste for the washer as it is in the laundry room i'll never know think it was the cheapest option as we have had problem after problem with the system since they fitted a new boiler. I might add they were contractors working for them. The boiler has been fine except for this freezing problem, so maybe if you can have the drain fitted internally it is the better option. Think again it depends where your boiler is situated. Something to bare in mind if you are having a new boiler. Thank goodness the thaw has set in!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #346 on: Sunday, 18 March, 2018 @ 20:42:30 »
More snow and ice forecast as travel disrupted across UK
Met Office warns of further snow and ice across the UK as bitterly cold temperatures return

Britain was braced for further travel disruption on Monday as the “mini beast from the east” was expected to bring up to 30cm of snow to parts of the UK overnight.

Hundreds of flights were cancelled, roads closed and sports events called off as plummeting temperatures cast a blanket of snow across the UK on Sunday.

The cold snap was forecast to continue into the new week, with the Met Office saying that further disruptive snowfall would fall widely overnight.

Parts of Devon and south-west England were expected to bear the brunt of the freeze on Monday, with up to 30cm of snow forecast in some parts of the region compared with up to 10cm for the rest of Britain.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/18/more-snow-and-ice-forecast-as-travel-disrupted-across-uk

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday, 20 March, 2018 @ 22:58:43 »
UK weather: Britain set for Easter snow with temperatures forecast to drop over bank holiday weekend

Snow is set to fall on Britain over Easter as the cold weather continues into April.

Below-average temperatures over the bank holiday weekend could bring snowfall in the north of the UK, said the Met Office.

Forecasters said there would be a “mild interlude” as temperatures rise to 12C in parts of the country this week following the “mini beast from the east” that brought snow and ice at the weekend.

Temperatures are then expected to drop again next week, although it is unlikely there will be a repeat of the transport chaos caused by Arctic conditions earlier this month.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-latest-easter-bank-holiday-snow-temperature-drop-weekend-forecast-a8264836.html

Altogether now: "I'm dreaming of a white Easter"

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #348 on: Monday, 26 March, 2018 @ 10:18:37 »
Return of the Beast: Wintry weather to hit Britain for third time, Met Office warns

“It is worth pointing out that statistically speaking, snow is more likely to fall at Easter than at Christmas,” said Met Office forecaster Marco Petagna.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-beast-from-the-east-latest-updates-snow-easter-temperature-bank-holiday-forecast-freezing-a8273521.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #349 on: Sunday, 01 April, 2018 @ 18:28:06 »
UK weather: Met Office issues yellow warning for Easter Monday snow as travelers face disruption
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/weather-latest-snow-warning-met-office-britain-rain-a8283646.html

Two day local forecasts available via meteoalarm.eu