The Agora > Kefalonia News

Temple of Apollo

(1/3) > >>

Jolly Roger:
I noticed that an archaeological excavation is in progress at the Temple of Apollo near Skala. Does anyone have any information about the dig?

Maik:
Been going on since last summer, don't know why (would have thought there were more significant places, even on Kef).

Vid clip posted on youtube by Ted Koutrokois, November, 2012. Site in its pre-excavation state and probably doesn't add anything to your knowledge.

Second vid clip posted by Ted Koutrokois January, 2014. Shows site during excavation, that's about it.

Jolly Roger:
Doubt whether the moped or the digging machine belong to the archaic period, but if the dig is still on going, then I guess results will be published in due course.

Maarm:
Maybe Uncle Ted wants to sell his moped?

:hmm:

Colleywobble:
We had a walk up there last October when they were digging. They were very keen for us not to venture near the site and were quite rude until we said we were regular visitors and had seen an earlier dig a few years ago. I don't know who funds them but after the last dig several years ago the site was just left to rack and ruin. I don't think they had a clue how to preserve the site properly. The next year they were doing a lot of road works and we were gobsmacked to see huge cable drums just all over the site and rubbish everywhere. I wish someone would do the job in a proper fashion. I reckon it's just an excuse for a jolly for someone. I remember though when they first exposed the villa mosaic floor  down in Skala, someone filled all the missing bits in with concrete. The chap who showed people round was quite proud of the effect! I must admit it is a bit better now .Perhaps they have so much antiquity they don't know what to do with it all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version