Author Topic: Flying Scotsman  (Read 4745 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Flying Scotsman
« on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 02:52:56 »
Some great piccies Colleywobble took recently and emailed to me:

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Flying Scotsman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 17:49:34 »
Not Flying Scotsman, but I had to share this video taken by my Cousin-in-Law, of A1 class Tornado passing Chippenham. It makes my pulse increase a few beats every time I watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRHAF5xYewU&feature=youtu.be

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 18:14:17 »
Just Magic.!!!I can feel the excitement of the liitle one. It brings so many childhood memories back.I felt so moved when I saw Flying Scotsman come out of Pickering station towards us before being unhitched for her return journey up to Grosmont.She had to pull the train backwards as the turntable was too small at Pickering. Just wondered what my Granddad would have thought to have seen it all these years later. The crowds that turned out were unbelievable .We spent all week chasing her up and down the line and even up on the top of the moors the numbers of  people that turned out were great. They reckon according to the Yorkshire Tourist Board it has brought £30,000,000,to the economy for the week that it has been on the North Yorkshire  Railway which is brilliant. With that and The Tour de Yorkshire bike race next at the end of April things are really taking off for Yorkshire. Our old caravan is coming in really useful.!!

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 20 March, 2016 @ 19:52:46 »
A1 class Tornado passing Chippenham

Seems to be working well!

Interesting history:

The last of the renowned Peppercorn class 'A1' steam locomotives was scrapped in 1966, but, as you can read on this website, a brand new 'A1', No. 60163 Tornado, has been brought to life in Darlington.

Fitted with additional water capacity and the latest railway safety electronics, Tornado is fully equipped for today’s main line railway. However, for her to continue main line passenger service we need your help – and you can still come on board for the price of a pint!  This website tells the story of the building of the locomotive and our plans for the future. We hope you’re able to join us on this exciting journey.
The A1s were designed by Arthur H Peppercorn (29 January 1889 - 3 March 1951), the last Chief Mechanical Engineer of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). They were the last in a line of famous express passenger steam locomotives for the East Coast Main Line that included the Stirling Singles, the Ivatt Atlantics and the Gresley Pacifics.

The original 49 Peppercorn Class A1s were ordered by the LNER and built at Doncaster and Darlington for British Railways (BR) in 1948/9, after the nationalisation of the railways. As designed they were ideally suited for the post-war world of poor maintenance and heavy trains, with their 50sq ft grate allowing them to use lower grade coal than their predecessors. The final five were even equipped with roller bearings enabling them to go for an average of 118,000 miles between heavy repairs, making the A1s the cheapest to run of all British steam locomotives in the same category. They were also the most reliable of all of the express passenger steam locomotives owned by British Railways.

Unfortunately, the rapid onset of dieselisation in the 1960s meant that all 49 were scrapped, after an average life of only 15 years.
http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=54