Author Topic: New East Midlands - Kef flight  (Read 11914 times)

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
New East Midlands - Kef flight
« on: Friday, 23 May, 2014 @ 16:49:55 »
SUNSHINE seekers will have three new European destinations to explore next year.

Airline Jet2 is offering travellers the opportunity to fly from East Midlands Airport to... the Greek island of Cephalonia.
http://www.nottinghampost.com/flights-East-Midlands/story-21132250-detail/story.html

Online Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: New East Midlands - Kef flight
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 23 May, 2014 @ 17:15:18 »
Jet2 unveils three new routes for summer 2015

Weekly flights to Kefalonia are available from East Midlands, Leeds Bradford and Manchester Airports, from £87.
http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2011664

From £87

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 23 May, 2014 @ 17:49:51 »
The Gods must have been listening to me. That will be brilliant. All we want now is some reasonably priced Travel Insurance for us oldies and we shall be coming!!!East Midlands will just as it was in the old days.

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 23 May, 2014 @ 23:39:49 »
The Gods must have been listening to me. That will be brilliant. All we want now is some reasonably priced Travel Insurance for us oldies and we shall be coming!!!East Midlands will just as it was in the old days.

If your quoted premiums for travel insurance seem excesive it might be worth looking at some of the bank account packages which include things like travel insurance, AA membership, credit card protection etc subject to a small monthy fee, which is the same cost regardless of age and includes both partners with joint accounts.

Our travel insurance through a Lloyds Gold account will be effective until we are 80, so a good few years to go yet!
Surprisingly, most of the common medical conditions and medications that come with advancing years don't have to be notified to the insurers.

We always fly to Kef from Manchester, but I am pleased to see that Jet2 will be flying from East Midlands next year. For us it is only an extra 20 minutes drive and a much pleasanter experience at the airport.

Phil

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 24 May, 2014 @ 16:25:54 »
Thanks Phil The Problems start when you start hitting the mid 70's and got previous as my husband has. Last year for two separate 1week hols(you cannot get annual at our age or if you have previous) it cost over £300,with Saga which I reckon is a bit too much.  I have heard of one called Insure With, which my brother has used and his wife is just recovering from Cancer. I believe it has been set up by a lady recovering from Cancer herself . May ask for a quote when we are ready. Banks insurance is no good for anyone with existing conditions at our age. Would be interested to hear from anyone who is in the same boat. We are not dropping dead with serious problems just the general old age things but unless you tell the insurance the "colour of your underwear "they soon start creating stink if you have to make a claim. Had to call Doc out last year for small problem. He came 3 times ,put two plasters on my husbands leg and issued a fly cert to come home. First time ever had to call out doc in almost 30yrs travel .After 6months backwards and forwards with insurance forms after we returned home I am hopeful they have finally paid the poor Doctor. They tried every which way to squirm out of paying even asking for our bank details and credit card details to see if we had the kind of accounts they could get something towards it to save themselves having to cough up. Makes you feel like "Can't be bothered" i'll stay in UK

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 24 May, 2014 @ 17:53:42 »
Hi Colleywobble

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences. £300+ sounds really excessive. It sounds so unfair, especially with your no claims record.

Good luck and I hope you are able to get out to Kef again soon - it really is the best medicine as I am sure you know!

Phil

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 24 May, 2014 @ 18:23:52 »
Sorry to hear of your problems Colleywobble. we're not as old as you , but we've got cover from nationwide Building Society despite pre-existing conditions.

As regards Jet2, as ever the devil is in the detail. My wife had a look on their site yesterday. they don't start the manchester kef flights until May 2015, so she looked at prices for Sept 2015. there are no return fares, you have to book 2 singles. Outward journey was £120 and Inward £129, which is what's available for this year with the existing carriers. OK I know their prices may well drop  from time to time, but they are a commercial outfit and are going to be charging as much as they can get for as much of the time as they can. As of course to all the others.

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 24 May, 2014 @ 19:20:35 »
My wife had a look on their site yesterday. they don't start the manchester kef flights until May 2015, so she looked at prices for Sept 2015. there are no return fares, you have to book 2 singles. Outward journey was £120 and Inward £129, which is what's available for this year with the existing carriers. OK I know their prices may well drop  from time to time, but they are a commercial outfit and are going to be charging as much as they can get for as much of the time as they can. As of course to all the others.

Presumably if you were to book now you have to pay 100% up front?
The 2015 flights from East Midlands don't start until the end of May 2015.