Author Topic: Busy summer?  (Read 23057 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Busy summer?
« on: Friday, 27 May, 2016 @ 17:18:56 »
The Ionian islands are this year expected to enjoy a double-digit percentage rise in tourism arrivals compared to last year, as the region has not been affected by the migration problem that has affected the image of other destinations.

An event held on Corfu last week heard the head of the regional authority, Spyros Galiatsatos, further stress the significance tourism has for the Ionian islands, as it contributes 50 percent of the local economy’s gross domestic product, against a nationwide average of 8 percent.

Also its contribution to employment comes to 17 percent, against 8.4 percent in the whole of Greece.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/209011/article/ekathimerini/business/ionian-islands-brace-for-double-digit-tourism-growth

Offline pete.c

• Bronze Medalist
Re: Busy summer?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 27 May, 2016 @ 19:24:17 »
Surprised its only 50%, where does the rest come from.  Greek accounting again

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 27 May, 2016 @ 20:25:52 »
Went to Katelios from 7th May for 2 weeks and thought there were less visitors than previous years, some apartments were just opening towards end of second week. But that said lovely place as usual, fed a few of the local cats and got well fed in the tavernas.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 28 May, 2016 @ 07:43:47 »
Been in Katelios for a couple of weeks and the increase, if there is one, seems to be in the All In hotels.  Absolutely no use to the local economy.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 28 May, 2016 @ 12:45:56 »
Well done the early birds.  Looking forward to it myself!

:)

Tony

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, 02 June, 2016 @ 09:56:50 »
Regardless of planes coming in full, I personally don't think Skala or Katelios have seen any increase in tourism, in fact both resorts are still pretty quiet. However, I gather that Lassi is very popular this year - each to their own!!
I think Aristarches is right, the all-inclusives are a major cause of the problem.

Considering the upheavals in Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey etc., we should be heaving!

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 02 June, 2016 @ 11:26:40 »
I know Utopia is AI, but which are the other Katelios AI hotel's referred to?

Offline Cheshirechick

• Participant
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 02 June, 2016 @ 13:41:40 »
Dont worry we'll be arriving next Wednesday to add to the numbers and not staying All In!   :yahoo: :yiamas:

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 02 June, 2016 @ 16:42:39 »
I know Utopia is AI, but which are the other Katelios AI hotel's referred to?

The Magnolia.  I understand that they are doing half board as well as AI as there are a number coming into the village for lunch but nothing else.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Friday, 03 June, 2016 @ 16:48:51 »
Apparently charter flight arrivals were up by 4,063 this May compared to May, 2015: 25,264 pax in May, 2015 / 29,327 pax in May, 2016.

Could be wrong but I get the impression the low-cost flight-only options have changed tourist preferences, benefitting Lassi as the cost of transfers is much lower than to e.g. Katelios. Nice beaches, near to Argostoli... but not my cup of coffee
 :coffee:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 03 June, 2016 @ 21:57:42 »
If pax are switching from "riskier" destinations or from the now non-existent "immigrant hordes" of the NE Aegean my guess is that most of them would go for bigger hotel accomm rather than the smaller family owned rooms/apartments that still makes upmost of the Kef property.  Presumably islands like Corfu are in for a bonanza.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, 04 June, 2016 @ 13:08:24 »
Tour Operators forecast large spike in inbound tourism to Greece

Rise in prices will not affect tourism numbers they say
http://en.protothema.gr/inbound-tourism-to-greece-notably-higher-says-german-tour-operators/

But not necessarily to Kef/Katelios...

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 00:30:17 »
Out here until 10th June a bit early for me but Poros is really quite with Scala not seeming to be buzzing either. Kateleios sleepy hollow as per norm but am of there for the evening sometime this week for a slap up evening meal. Wish I knew where they catch there fish coz I can't hook any of the little buggers ! Enjoy the summer folks

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 12:59:23 »
Tempted to say the fish get trucked in from the fish farms - but they do have genuine kaiki caught fish in Katelios.  Will be interesting to hear how much you find open in the village.

Enjoy it!

:yiamas:

BTW it's cracking the flags here on Merseyside  :) .

Tony

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 15:26:33 »
Ha ha nice one Tony. The way I'm shaping this year I couldn't hook a fish in a bucket ! Onward.........

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 15:45:13 »
Hi when we were in Katelios early/mid May all tavernas were open and Aliti's & Alexi's but few holiday makers.
Talking of fishing do you know of anybody in Katelios how would take you out to go fishing?
Enjoy your hols Bluenose

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #16 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 15:56:42 »
Hello,I think Mike at Dolphin on Skala beach has started fishing trips if you're able to get over there

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Monday, 06 June, 2016 @ 21:20:07 »
Brilliant. Thank you, will be there again in September.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Friday, 10 June, 2016 @ 14:29:04 »
Air arrivals growth slows in May
http://www.ekathimerini.com/209476/article/ekathimerini/business/air-arrivals-growth-slows-in-may

Overall, not specifically Kef

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, 11 June, 2016 @ 11:50:59 »
Hello,I think Mike at Dolphin on Skala beach has started fishing trips if you're able to get over there
I took a couple of trips from Mike over the last two weeks. When you rent the boat he has the fishing tackle ready to go if you need it. I'm not sure if he charges. But I got the feeling it was free if you wanted it. Hope you guys have better luck than me !

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
Re: Busy summer/Katelios
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, 11 June, 2016 @ 12:01:56 »
Spent a couple of very pleasant trips to Katelios. The first day trip two weeks ago the village was quite with bits and pieces of construction/fitting out going on at a bar along the front. Not far from Gerrys where we ate last Thursday evening (seafood platter for two) bang on ! A lot more people where about and a really nice vibe goin on. Very pleasant. In comparison Poros is only now just showing a trickle of bods starting to show up. Some nights the square is closed by 12:30 . But let's see how it pans out again in Aug.

Offline jeanskala

• Forum Hero
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, 12 June, 2016 @ 13:45:28 »
Hi when we were in Katelios early/mid May all tavernas were open and Aliti's & Alexi's but few holiday makers.
Talking of fishing do you know of anybody in Katelios how would take you out to go fishing?
Enjoy your hols Bluenose

Check this out - www.fishingtourismkefalonia.com, which will take you on to their Facebook page. Click 'like' and check out information on their timeline page.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, 12 June, 2016 @ 15:01:14 »
Thank you Jean for the heads up on that. I all ways stay in Poros so I take my boat from Mike/Niki in Scala otherwise I float around the island in my car finding different places to annoy the local marine life ! Back to the grind tomorrow but back to Kef in Aug. Roll on.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, 12 June, 2016 @ 16:28:49 »
Enjoy your hols Bluenose

Check this out - www.fishingtourismkefalonia.com, which will take you on to their Facebook page. Click 'like' and check out information on their timeline page.

I'm not into fishing at all but the link Jean posted sounds like a great day out.  Especially the freshly cooked fish and the local wine on the beach at the end.  The website is nice and I really liked the Katelios location pics.

Tony

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, 12 June, 2016 @ 16:39:13 »
Thank you Jean for the heads up on that. I all ways stay in Poros so I take my boat from Mike/Niki in Scala otherwise I float around the island in my car finding different places to annoy the local marine life ! Back to the grind tomorrow but back to Kef in Aug. Roll on.

Glad you had a great time, Bluey!  And only a short countdown till you return.  Couple of weeks off for us still!

Tony