Author Topic: 06/02/19  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 06/02/19
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, 06 February, 2019 @ 22:15:09 »
House of Commons adjourned after four hours at 3.27pm because MPs have nothing to do
With the country 51 days away from its biggest constitutional upheaval in a generation and a raft of replacement legislation yet to be agreed, MPs might be expected to have a rather full agenda...
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/house-of-commons-adjourned-four-hours-early-at-327pm-mps-a8766471.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, 06 February, 2019 @ 22:30:49 »
29 March is set to be a big day - Dumbo, the re-make, is released:

Watch the brand new trailer for Disney's Dumbo now. Flying into UK cinemas, 29 March 2019. From Disney and visionary director Tim Burton, the all-new grand live-action adventure “Dumbo” expands on the beloved classic story where differences are celebrated, family is cherished and dreams take flight. Circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) enlists former star Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell) and his children Milly (Nico Parker) and Joe (Finley Hobbins) to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when they discover that Dumbo can fly, the circus makes an incredible comeback, attracting persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere (Michael Keaton), who recruits the peculiar pachyderm for his newest, larger-than-life entertainment venture, Dreamland. Dumbo soars to new heights alongside a charming and spectacular aerial artist, Colette Marchant (Eva Green), until Holt learns that beneath its shiny veneer, Dreamland is full of dark secrets.
https://youtu.be/IBz7FUlZPXI?t=1

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, 07 February, 2019 @ 07:59:26 »
Looks like from these photos in link below that the palms have already been taken down :dunno:

http://www.inkefalonia.gr/koinonia/68641-mas-epiase-i-psyxi-mas-me-tous-pesmenous-foinikes-stin-rizospaston-eikones

Don't know if someone's having me on but heard the palm trees will be replaced with (red weevil resistant) coconut trees!

Coconut has already been used to good effect during the last major works along the waterfront from the bridge towards the town centre and linking the Lithostroto to the Square.

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, 07 February, 2019 @ 08:33:54 »
Don't know if someone's having me on but heard the palm trees will be replaced with (red weevil resistant) coconut trees!

Yes Maik, along the Southern Promenade and in the Square, date palms have been planted and should be resistant to these pests. I have a photo somewhere and will try to find it.

HiFi's post came up as I typed my reply. I thought they were date palms, but could be coconut. I am sure everyone will be issued with hard hats.

I took this photo in May 2017 when this area was under construction. The palms are looking very attractive now.
« Last Edit: Thursday, 07 February, 2019 @ 08:50:39 by Jolly Roger »

Offline HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #29 on: Friday, 08 February, 2019 @ 13:01:39 »
I think date palms are another name for the ones being felled infested with the weevil?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #30 on: Friday, 08 February, 2019 @ 14:46:11 »
Yes, I think you're right there, HiFi. And that replacement coconut trees are already in the ground (and in Roger's pic).

Apparently there's been a bit of a stink about the need to replace the (date) palm trees as it's possible to treat them against red weevil. However, I'm sure the coconut trees will look lovely. Be interesting to see if they produce coconuts, the banana trees don't produce anything like what Sainsbury's sell!